PDA

View Full Version : new australian battle rifle

twistie
July 10, 2015, 20:04
http://rogueadventurer.com/2013/01/12/ef88-australias-next-generation-assault-rifle/

bubbaguns
July 10, 2015, 23:16
Nice read.

Bandy
July 11, 2015, 00:02
Agreed ^
But that thing is ugly as sin. Long as it works though.....

bubbaguns
July 11, 2015, 01:03
Yes. I agree it is fugly.

nopec
July 11, 2015, 11:50
Ugly? I'll take two of each.

Bubacus
July 11, 2015, 20:44
Is the metal anodized that copper color or a paint finish?

Andy the Aussie
July 11, 2015, 22:24
Is the metal anodized that copper color or a paint finish? Cerakote mate.

VALMET
July 11, 2015, 22:33
Ugly? I'll take two of each.

Me as well!

Airacuda
July 12, 2015, 05:40
Without the ability of the barrel quick change........they can have it. :aug:

W.E.G.
July 12, 2015, 07:57
Could they have put the ejection port any closer to the shooter's face?

Gotta love the way this suppressed rifles puke back-directed gas in the shooter's face.

Does the suppressed model come with a respirator?

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=79982&stc=1&d=1436705579

spider991
July 12, 2015, 10:01
Just get a good M4 for a third of the price......not as sexy as the AUG...but a whole lot more user friendly

wanneroo
July 12, 2015, 18:55
Basically what this amounts to is the Australians trying to keep alive their ability to produce small arms(Which to me I equate to national survival). The AUG I don't think anyone would argue is the best rifle out there, but they are trying to lipstick up the pig the best they can.

Alpha-17
July 12, 2015, 21:49
Always thought the AUGs looked Fugly, and that hasn't changed. To each their own, I just don't see the appeal of that rifle compared to many, many others.

Andy the Aussie
July 13, 2015, 01:49
Basically what this amounts to is the Australians trying to keep alive their ability to produce small arms(Which to me I equate to national survival). The AUG I don't think anyone would argue is the best rifle out there, but they are trying to lipstick up the pig the best they can. ...... yes pretty much.

Thorack
July 13, 2015, 05:25
Well,

The AUG looked space aged. This Thales model looks hideous. I hope the functionality is awesome because it looks awful. Shades of AuSTEN here.

Thorack

Matell
July 16, 2015, 08:40
Cerakote mate.

Andy, any chance you could find out the Cerakote colour numbers for me please? ;) That's one of the last things I need (exact or close colour match) to finish my plans for A3/A3M1 based F88SA2 'clones'....oh and some fine tuning of the CAD model of the rail, and side accessory rail.

:whistling:

Matell
July 16, 2015, 08:50
Basically what this amounts to is the Australians trying to keep alive their ability to produce small arms(Which to me I equate to national survival). The AUG I don't think anyone would argue is the best rifle out there, but they are trying to lipstick up the pig the best they can.

For that reason alone I think the F90/EF88 is great and really hope it succeeds. In recent years Australia has let nearly all indigenous industrial scale manufacture (starting with airplanes, and most recently automobiles but I'm sure there's more than those two) atrophy away to nothing.

As a mechanical engineer who jumped ship to gain skills and experience in the US, it breaks my heart that back home the fields that excite, and show a country's innovation and degree of technical development are allowed to be whittled away by taxes, competition, and cheaper imports.

Andy the Aussie
July 17, 2015, 18:18
Andy, any chance you could find out the Cerakote colour numbers for me please? ;) That's one of the last things I need (exact or close colour match) to finish my plans for A3/A3M1 based F88SA2 'clones'....oh and some fine tuning of the CAD model of the rail, and side accessory rail.

:whistling:The F88AS2s were a lighter tan than the new rifles, these are suppose to be Coyote. I *may* be able to find the numbers but I am not sure.

wanneroo
July 17, 2015, 20:59
For that reason alone I think the F90/EF88 is great and really hope it succeeds. In recent years Australia has let nearly all indigenous industrial scale manufacture (starting with airplanes, and most recently automobiles but I'm sure there's more than those two) atrophy away to nothing.

As a mechanical engineer who jumped ship to gain skills and experience in the US, it breaks my heart that back home the fields that excite, and show a country's innovation and degree of technical development are allowed to be whittled away by taxes, competition, and cheaper imports.

The collapse of the automotive industry there really grinds my gears but the Aussies did it to themselves on that one.

raexcct2
July 21, 2015, 04:38
Without the ability of the barrel quick change........they can have it. :aug:

My sentiments exactly.

Matell
July 22, 2015, 23:14
The collapse of the automotive industry there really grinds my gears but the Aussies did it to themselves on that one.

Sadly I agree. And when I lived there, what'd I do? Pissed all over bogan cars..."who'd want an Aussie piece of shit I'd say"...and bought a bloody Honda.

Now I live in the land of cheap consumption I want the last of the Holdens...go figure........what do they say....'you don't know what you've got till it's gone'

Matell
July 22, 2015, 23:18
The F88AS2s were a lighter tan than the new rifles, these are suppose to be Coyote. I *may* be able to find the numbers but I am not sure.

Hmm yeah I thought the SA2's were a little lighter. I figured I'd try to average out the likely HTML/RGB code (for both the stock and metal parts) from a number of photos and see if a certified Cerakote applicator could mix up a custom batch. Don't even know if custom colours can be done with Cerakote but I'm prepared to find out.

Please shoot me an email if you find anything Andy. Cheers, Matt

TOWS220
July 23, 2015, 16:26
Could they have put the ejection port any closer to the shooter's face?

Gotta love the way this suppressed rifles puke back-directed gas in the shooter's face.

Does the suppressed model come with a respirator?

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=79982&stc=1&d=1436705579

Is this first hand experience with AUG'S suppressed?

1feral1
April 09, 2016, 21:30
Ya can't polish a turd, or pick up one by the clean end. This new EF88 is an over-engineered piece of junk.

All these 'new features' and the rifle still can't be submerged in water.

Andy the Aussie
April 10, 2016, 00:10
But we have M4s for that mate... ;)

Hope you are well in NH !

Mebsuta
April 10, 2016, 03:28
All these 'new features' and the rifle still can't be submerged in water.

That would automatically disqualify it as a shower gun. Oz needs to re-think this.

BlasterLP
April 10, 2016, 12:28
I havent kept up on the F88.
I was wondering about the fluted barrels and also the grenade launchers I have seen on some of them here in Kabul now.

ALL FAL
April 11, 2016, 19:50
Why Not make the rifles something troops would be grateful to take into battle??

Lithgow made a sloppy try, the lack of interchangeable barrels quickly, poor trigger, mag release should be ergo and easy to get to, if Given an F90 I would take it and fix it right, but, I would never just go buy one.

Roadmarker
April 17, 2016, 12:48
Bullpups are the future.
Get rid of that trigger protector and throw in an helical top stock mounted magazine coupled with bottom ejection and you're almost there.
Who doesn't see the benefits of a longer barrel in a smaller package?
Nix the side rails and make an extended upper rail an option.
The suppressor will be mandatory for stealthier operations.
The lower rail could mount, light, grenade launcher or grip pod.
Above all, ergonomics and shootability should steer design choices.
There is no reason not to introduce a 7.62, 20 inch model along with a 5.56 16 inch carbine model.

yellowhand
April 17, 2016, 13:32
An AK can cook bacon!
Can this thing cook bacon?

An M16 could open C rat cases.
But they changed that.:sad:

What can this plastic rifle do that an AK or AR not do?
Can it shoot more rounds without cleaning?
Can it hit a man sized target at 300 yards more times than the others?
Is it easier to clean?
Is it cheaper to produce in numbers, great numbers?
Is is quicker to train on?
Can you pound heads with it?
How does it handle mud and sand and general wet muck?
If you leave it close to a fire, does it melt or just get hot enough to stick inside a cold sleeping bag on a cold night?:wink:

Looks like a Tavor, and those things are ugly as sin.

SteelGreyML
April 17, 2016, 15:56
Could be worse, could be a Brit L85A1.

I guess the A2 has less bad press.

Roadmarker
April 17, 2016, 19:37
If you leave it close to a fire, does it melt or just get hot enough to stick inside a cold sleeping bag on a cold night?

Good idea!!!

lowprone
April 21, 2016, 19:31
I really like the stock redesign.

SWOHFAL
April 24, 2016, 21:28
Sadly I agree. And when I lived there, what'd I do? Pissed all over bogan cars..."who'd want an Aussie piece of shit I'd say"...and bought a bloody Honda.

Now I live in the land of cheap consumption I want the last of the Holdens...go figure........what do they say....'you don't know what you've got till it's gone'

Chevrolet SS - get one while you can, especially with a stick.

SteelGreyML
April 27, 2016, 10:43
So gents, what is the benefit of removing the QD barrel feature. Is that actually a product improvement or more to prevent unauthorized removal by troops? :confused:

baker72
May 09, 2016, 18:28

I'm a westie I drove a Hq then got me XB Coupe , in yank land I drive ford , I'm never going back to Aussie anyway it's a police state

Balmain Tigers

Will

Rahatlakhoom
May 09, 2016, 18:42
Thank the heavens, the AK is plentiful.
That damn thing is a polymer glob of shit.:sad: