PDA

View Full Version : Enfield No4 MK1 bolt head

urbanhermit
June 29, 2015, 22:09
So I picked up 2 projects that I have wanted to build for a long time. One of them was an Enfield No4 that had been bubba'd all to hell. I cleaned the thing up and it appears I can salvage it as a nice shooter. Only problem is, it blows headspace on a SAAMI field gauge. I am aware that these bolt heads are assorted by numbers but that the numbers dont necessarily mean it is a specific length. I cant even read any number on mine to begin with. It has the remnants of an "s" because the gun was made by Savage. Either way, I put my calipers on it and it measures .630 from bolt face to shoulder. Im looking for someone who has a bolt head that is longer than what I have. I have looked on the net and the people who advertise the longer bolt heads dont seem to have any in stock. Anybody?

tac-40
June 30, 2015, 04:08
Found this but not sure of its accuracy:

No 0 = 0.629" +0 / -0.002"

No 1 = 0.632" +0 / -0.002"

No 2 = 0.635" +0 / -0.002"

No 3 = 0.638" +0 / -0.002

urbanhermit
June 30, 2015, 09:04
Yeah, Ive seen the same thing. Im looking more for someone who has one they would sell me or knows someone who has one. Im looking for a person to person sale so the other party can mic the bolt head they have before I buy it.

19&41
June 30, 2015, 17:47
I have an idea if it proves difficult to get hold of a longer bolt head. I have a lend lease enfield also and if i wanted to check how much more length would be right, I would go to an auto parts store and get an inexpensive feeler gauge. I would then take a pair of tin snips and cut sections large enough to fit on the face of the bolt head. And close on the headspace gauge with the feeler segments on the bolt face. Remove the extractor and spring first. The gauge would be relatively cheap and you would have a better idea than just guesswork.

urbanhermit
June 30, 2015, 19:35
Thats a good idea and I have those things already. My main issue is that I cant find the longer bolt heads. Every company Ive looked up that has them on their website says they are out of stock. I am also without a lathe. If I had a lathe, I would either cut a donut or cut a shim for the bolt face. The bolt head I currently have is trashed and I need another anyway. Im just looking for a source.

19&41
June 30, 2015, 20:10
You might keep checking ebay. The only other regulars I know of are Springfield Sporters or Sarco.

TerryN
June 30, 2015, 22:03
Call Brian Dick at BDL, Ltd. He at least used to have some NIW #3 bolt heads. In practice, a bolt head was sanded down to the specific dimension needed. Think wet-or-dry-sandpaper-on-a-surface-plate. Hence, a used, previously fitted #2 bolt head could conceivable be longer than a used, previously fitted #3 bolt head. Mike a bunch of used bolt heads with the same number stamped on them, and you'll find very little consistency in their length.

urbanhermit
June 30, 2015, 23:04
That would be awesome if I could find any number 2 or 3 bolt heads to actually do that with. Thats the issue. Nobody has them I checked sarco already. Ebay doesnt have anything either. Do you have a number for Mr Dick? Where is he out of?

Blackmore
July 01, 2015, 06:00
Let me check the Enfield bolt heads I have.

urbanhermit
July 01, 2015, 08:17
Let me check the Enfield bolt heads I have.

Oh you rock. Thank you sir.

Blackmore
July 01, 2015, 08:31
Oh you rock. Thank you sir.

I have a #2. Measures 0.636". I assume you can use your existing extractor and screw? PM if you'd like to proceed

urbanhermit
July 01, 2015, 09:07
PM sent.

stimpsonjcat
July 01, 2015, 11:12
I gave up and had a friend I trust reweld the face of two bolts and then made a jig to hold them in the lathe so I could cut them back to the headspace I wanted.

TerryN
July 01, 2015, 12:18
That would be awesome if I could find any number 2 or 3 bolt heads to actually do that with. Thats the issue. Nobody has them I checked sarco already. Ebay doesnt have anything either. Do you have a number for Mr Dick? Where is he out of?

Google is your friend. http://www.bdlltd.com/About_Us.html

urbanhermit
July 01, 2015, 14:08
Awesome, I actually came across this site the other day while poking around all over the internet looking for stuff. I was gonna check it out later but couldnt remember the name or how I found it. lol. Now I have a sure link and hes not that far away. Thanks a bunch.

urbanhermit
July 01, 2015, 14:09
I gave up and had a friend I trust reweld the face of two bolts and then made a jig to hold them in the lathe so I could cut them back to the headspace I wanted.

I would love to do this if I had machine tools at my disposal. I hope to convince the powers that be to get a lathe and mill in the future, along with a TIG welder.

P.I. Staker
July 12, 2015, 00:24
First thing is to use proper headspace gauges. Saami gauges are not to the military original standard.

stimpsonjcat
July 14, 2015, 13:13
First thing is to use proper headspace gauges. Saami gauges are not to the military original standard.

I made some.

Rimmed case HS gauges are a joke if you have a lathe.

MJ1
July 14, 2015, 19:53

Well said. Use the one that works. You may be OK where your are.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v130/montereyjack/bh0003_zpsth9fbios.jpg

SAAMI are useless on most Enfields so hunt up the Correct gauges, rent or barter them. Read Peter Laidler.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v130/montereyjack/bh0004_zpsxrxxmsx8.jpg

Good luck.

urbanhermit
July 24, 2015, 10:45
Update for anyone listening: I got the #2 bolthead and while it certainly added length to the bolt, it didnt fit right. The bolt head wouldnt turn easily enough to be installed or removed from the gun without too much difficulty. I sent the rifle to Brian Dick, as suggested earlier by TerryN and hes installing a new barrel and bolt assembly for a very reasonable fee. Most knowledgeable guy in Enfields Ive ever talked to.

mrclark303
July 26, 2015, 03:15
Second that, Brian is the chap to go to for our US cousins, very knowledgeable indeed, also I highly recommend Milsurps for all things Enfield related.