PDA

View Full Version : Lowes, I hate them.

yovinny
June 22, 2015, 11:17
The only home store close by here is Lowes (20min) it's just over an hour to a Home depo or Menards.
I prefer them in the order of Menards, home depo and then lowes, but I'm buying lots of stuff to rebuild the new house and they offers 5% off with their accounts, so I open a Lowes charge account.
I'm also the type that detests paying interest, so I dont buy anything I cant afford to pay off when the bill comes and thats what I do. I pay attention to the billing cycle dates and plan my purchases and payments making the best use of them.
Anyway, to make a long story short, out of the blue and for no other reason than I made a larger purchase, Lowes CHANGED their billing cycle on me :mad:
Instead of being the 24th of the month, they changed it to the 3rd of the month and sent a bill out immediately, two days after my larger purchase.
After a trip there and phone call to their useless customer service dept, I paid it off, closed the account and cut up their card.
I'll bite the bullet and drive the hour to Home depo from now on for any larger purchases. I fracking HATE Lowes.

YV

hagar
June 22, 2015, 11:33
Sorry to say, I worked for them as a contractor in their IT department for 18 months, and yes, they suck. They had a policy of no smoking on their property, and then actually fired some people that walked across the street to smoke.

The new Lowes close to me, every time I went in the store they had employees just hanging around ignoring customers. Home Depot on the other hand always have somebody you can ask where to find something.

yovinny
June 22, 2015, 11:48
The new Lowes close to me, every time I went in the store they had employees just hanging around ignoring customers. Home Depot on the other hand always have somebody you can ask where to find something.

Same exact thing here.
When I was looking at kitchen cabinets (what I would consider a large purchase at like 10-12k) their was 4 people sitting there doing nothing, each completely involved with their cell phones and texting.
After asking for help twice, one of them finally (and acting annoyed) put their phone down and asked what I wanted.
While I have run into a very few good people at the local Lowes, most all of them are utterly useless.

croftonaviation
June 22, 2015, 11:51
The lowes in hoptown is not any better. At least we have caycee mill and anew other supply places. You know for building materials the Amish guy in crofton, Devon, is pretty reasonable.

Take care

Tom

ray55classic
June 22, 2015, 11:54
Here in Houston Lowes is consistently higher priced on almost all their items than Home Depot. As mentioned earlier you can never find the employee's in Lowes.
In their defense they do seem to have a better grade of lumber than the areas Home Depot's.
I've found a few "old fashioned" hardware stores so I buy most of my stuff from them.
I only shop the box stores if what I want isn't available elsewhere. I'd rather keep my $$ locally than subsidize the boxes.
Whatever happened to old fashioned lumberyards?

ray55classic
June 22, 2015, 11:55
Here in Houston Lowes is consistently higher priced on almost all their items than Home Depot. As mentioned earlier you can never find the employee's in Lowes.
In their defense they do seem to have a better grade of lumber than the areas Home Depot's.
I've found a few "old fashioned" hardware stores so I try to buy most of my stuff from them.
I only shop the box stores if what I want isn't available elsewhere. I'd rather keep my $$ locally than subsidize the boxes.

yovinny
June 22, 2015, 11:59
The lowes in hoptown is not any better. At least we have caycee mill and anew other supply places. You know for building materials the Amish guy in crofton, Devon, is pretty reasonable.

Take care

Tom

Hey Tom,

I've used caycee mills for some stuff, mostly electrical or plumbing supplies.
I also use Lewis hills in crofton sometimes for good lumber or sheet metal/roofing supplies. Who or where is this devon ? I dont think I know them..

yovinny
June 22, 2015, 12:09
Here in Houston Lowes is consistently higher prices. In their defense they do seem to have a better grade of lumber than the areas Home Depot's.Whatever happened to old fashioned lumberyards?

Lowes has higher prices on average, yes I agree with that.
Better lumber ??? That would actually be kind of scary, as the stuff I get at lowes here is pretty bad...I'll only use it for some limited stuff and packing containers or trucks at work.
We have a barn building supply close by that has WAY better lumber and is about as close to an old fashioned lumberyard as I've seen in awhile, but of course the prices are higher....sometimes much higher.

croftonaviation
June 22, 2015, 12:34
Hey Tom,

I've used caycee mills for some stuff, mostly electrical or plumbing supplies.
I also use Lewis hills in crofton sometimes for good lumber or sheet metal/roofing supplies. Who or where is this devon ? I dont think I know them..

Devon is Lewis hills, so I guess you know him:D

Bug Tussell
June 22, 2015, 13:48
Lowes is generally full of kids that don't know much about the department they work in. The topper was when a kid addressed me as, "Hey Dude".

Home Depot seems to hire for experience.

slavicshooter
June 22, 2015, 14:26
My wife, Mrs.slovakshooter, here on the FalFiles, sent our last payment to Lowes in an envelope, with the cut up Lowes card, a check for the balance, and a note that said, " you can shove the Lowes card up your @$$".:D:D (Red headed Magyar, she is. :facepalm:)

Sig220
June 22, 2015, 16:54
I went looking for a dishwasher supply line (needed a long one) which I couldn't find.....so a "clerk" approached me and asked what I needed. I told him a union that I could join two supply lines together, and he told me "You can't do that."

I went on to tell him, I can do whatever the fugk I want with what I buy (if I could find it) and if he didn't want to help to get his asp over to the toilet asle and stay the fugk away from me!!

Needless to say he sauntered away and I found the union I was looking for and to this day it still works as I intended in joining two shorter supply lines into one long one! I even told the manager, the old man needed retraining.... lol
:rofl:

meltblown
June 22, 2015, 18:08
Try to get a change of address kit at the post office. Normally there is a 10% off card for Lowes so plan ahead for a big purchase. Yes I think they all suck. No more hardware stores or lumberyards.

gunplumber
June 22, 2015, 18:19
I cancelled my Home Depot card for a similar reason. I am opposed to credit cards in general, but figured when I was working on a large construction project, it would help my accounting. And it wasn't like I was going to buy more or different because I was charging it.

There is no grace period. Interest accrues from the day they print the statement. So I get the statement 3 days later, and they get my electronic payment for the total 2 days after that. But they charged me something like $0.10 interest for those 5 days, and then they have a "minimum interest charge" of $1. So the next month, on my zero balance, I get a charge for $1. So I figured I'd made a mistake, and paid the dollar, but the 5 days accrued interest was a fraction of a cent, for which they charged me the $1 minimum. Only way to pay it off in total is to go into the store.

Screw them. The funny thing is, both HD and Lowes kept upping my limit to outdo the other, till had $11,000 on one and $10,000 on the other.

Lowes, I walked in a few times last month for things on which HD was out of stock and the place was desolate. I needed track light fixture that was too high to reach, so I walked the isles shouting "DOES ANYONE WORK HERE" to no avail for about 5 minutes. And those who know me, can attest that this is not hyperbole, I really was calling like I was seeking a lost dog. I covered at least half the store.

So GF says screw it and climbs the ladder platform that was right there, to get the light fixture off the higher shelf. Suddenly 3 employees come racing to us, all indignant and shit. You can't do that . . ..

Well I wouldn't have to if your shit customer service gave me any other option - eh?

I just ordered a replacement hand drill off Amazon. I could have bought it at HD or Lowes, but why bother. Pretty much just lumber and solvents. And these idiots wonder why they are losing all their revenue to the internet.

Fiorina
June 22, 2015, 19:42
I used to work at Lowes years ago. I hated that place. They kept it at a skeleton crew at all times. So at any one time in that giant store there were only a handful of actual salesman type people to help customers.
I could never understand why they couldn't just add a few more as floaters who could walk around asking people if they needed any help. But no, they kept the staffing very bare.

Beryl
June 22, 2015, 20:14
Dang, I love our Lowes. I have rarely had a problem with anything there. It all boils down to management. I usually send my survey on line, too. Call corporate and complain.

Mebsuta
June 22, 2015, 20:35
I like the Lowes near me allright and will wander around and look at stuff as long as they will let me. They usually won't ask me if I need help, which is fine, because I like to wander around and think and try to find stuff myself. Besides, "Do you have roll pins that fit the M1 Garand stock ferrule?" is not something I want to ask out loud.

I always say no when they ask if I want to get a Lowes card. I have a Cabela's card and eventually regretted it. I like the USAA MC and use that for pretty much everything.

I don't care too much if they call me dude, sir, ma'am, bro or whatever (heard them all, it's okay), as long as they let me browse around.

easttex
June 22, 2015, 21:05
The guys in the construction materials department at the Lowe's up the street from my office really did not appreciate me telling them to "get off their asses, get the f*cking forklift, and let's get my order loaded." Ordinarily I'd load it myself but damn it when I'm hot, tired, hungry, and just spent $2,500 on lumber I'm not loading it myself. Especially not when there's an unoccupied forklift and three dudes standing around with their thumbs up their asses.

oleblu72
June 23, 2015, 17:20
My friend use to work for Kraftmaid delivering their cabinets pretty much all over the states. He hates Lowes and HD with a passion. Some of the things he told me the people back in the delivery docks use to pull on the trucks that delivered at either store even pissed me off. I told him I think I would have had to punch them right in the face and he told me he would have lost his job if he did that. Kraftmaid had a no tolerance policy for drivers that would retaliate like that.

Mark

W.E.G.
June 23, 2015, 17:34
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/humor/fast-times-at-ridgemont-high-1982-s.jpg

The topper was when a kid addressed me as, "Hey Dude".

Randall
June 24, 2015, 09:44
So GF says screw it and climbs the ladder platform that was right there, to get the light fixture off the higher shelf. Suddenly 3 employees come racing to us, all indignant and shit. You can't do that . . ..

Well I wouldn't have to if your shit customer service gave me any other option - eh?
I've had that exact experience at Lowes and Home Depot both....many times in fact. Now, its a game. I move the ladder and climb it any time I need something I can't reach. When they come running, I tell them that if they didn't want me to climb it, they shouldn't have left the ladder where I can get to it. Then I tell them that its a good thing I didn't break a hip on the way down.

Anyone who thinks the customer service at Home Depot is better than Lowes has obviously never been to the either Home Depot by my house. I've got two within 5 miles of each other, and no longer step foot in either. My preference is OSH Hardware unless I'm buying something they don't carry. There is a Lowes and a nice lumber mill around the corner from my office, so building materials get bought there.

SWOHFAL
July 01, 2015, 04:29
I've found a few "old fashioned" hardware stores so I try to buy most of my stuff from them.

They're still around here.

SWOHFAL
July 01, 2015, 04:38
Lowes is generally full of kids that don't know much about the department they work in. The topper was when a kid addressed me as, "Hey Dude".

Home Depot seems to hire for experience.

Apparently, they hired skilled tradespeople at one time and paid them well until Robert Nardelli came on board and screwed things up by cutting their pay or firing them and replacing them with warm bodies so he could make things more "profitable," while losing customer goodwill and their business.

ftierson
July 01, 2015, 11:42
I've had decent luck with the new Lowes near me.

As a matter of fact, I just picked up some redwood boards from Lowes to repair my deck.

After pricing the boards at Lowes, I checked at Home Depot, expecting them to be slightly less.

What I found was that Home Depot didn't even have any redwood boards, selling some red stained spruce/pine/fir (or whatever) as redwoodoid instead...

I bought the boards at Lowes...

Forrest

okiefarmer
July 01, 2015, 12:54
Must be a regional thing. I have heard them referred to as Slowes alot. We have one in my fine town, and the biggest reason we go there occasionally is the hours of our regular lumber yard, especially on weekends. Lumber yard open for 5 hours Saturday morning, and closed Sunday. It seems it's many of those closed hours that the wife unit needs to go look at things. Our major projects in the house are always through our lumber yard or local carpet/tile stores, much better help in recommendations. 45 miles south in Tulsa, there is a HD, and I must admit, you almost have to hide to avoid a floor person from attempting to assist you in something. We have excellent employees in our local Lowes also, and the times when one is not close, I just push the little red button and wait a bit. There are many times when one just wants to look without being aided.

Story
July 02, 2015, 09:22
So you people don't think those poor downtrodden workers deserve $15/hour?

:whistling:

quicksand
July 03, 2015, 16:32
So you people don't think those poor downtrodden workers deserve $15/hour?

:whistling:

If they paid $15 an hour the service would improve but the prices would increase so everyone would go to Home Depot to get cheap shit and complain about the service.

easttex
July 03, 2015, 16:45
All $15/hr would accomplish is driving up prices. People are people and you can't pay for an attitude.

randy762ak
July 03, 2015, 20:21
I worked for an Old timiy 100 year old Hardware store for 10 years --BIG on Plumbing electrical and Pumps , tools etc., No wood or building materials ,,People would call /Come in after shopping every store possible before hitting us =looking for the cheapest Prices ! finally after telling Us they looked every place besides us we would pull the item out of our hat and YEeaayyy --And off they went to the cheapest place for the rest of the order!!!
customers deserve poor service --HI Prices and low quality-- !!! shop where they have schite service --Low quality and No tears from me --Ever!!

hueyville
July 04, 2015, 12:01
Have had a commercial account at Lowes since 1983. We didn't get a Home Depot until about 10 years ago and between the two, they killed all but one contractors lumber yard. The kind of place where you back your truck up to what you need and they help load rather than load on a cart, roll to register, roll to truck, load again. That said, I use Lowe's almost daily due to convenience and fact they carry a lot of items my lumber yard doesn't. 7:30 am to 4:00 pm I go to the real lumber yard for lumber. after about 3:30 I can't get there before the gates lock and Lowe's is open till 9:00 pm.

Most of the guys behind the commercial desk at Lowe's came from the other lumber yards that closed over the years. Even the guys that drive the delivery truck I knew on first name basis before they went to Lowe's. What impresses me is once they land at Lowe's they stay. I know three of them now are over 20 years and marking time till they get their 30 and had been in a real lumber yard for some time before Lowe's.

Have commercial account at Home Depot also and its a different person behind the commercial desk every few months. Of course the store dynamics is different from town to town and region to region. Lowe's has moved three times since opened my account and every time gotten closer till now they are 1/2 block. It is 400 yards from my loading dock to theirs. Hard to drive past them to go to Home Depot especially when due to first name basis with most of the help up to management combined with contractor account usually get a better price than anywhere.

If the lumber yard is open, I will drive the extra distance and only having to load one time and have help doing it is worth it. Only issue is with all the post 2008 economy issues they cut back so far that they flipped all their old help and now I only know one employee. I opened my account their in 1983 also and until last month never once had to show my I.D. when writing a check. They have my mailing address, physical address, Federal Tax I.D. Number and Sales Tax I.D. number and the new guy absolutely demands I.D. every time writing home address, D.L. number and asking for phone number. I point to the shop number on the check and he says needs my home number. Had to buck on that as its been unlisted since got in over 30 years ago and thus we get no telemarketing calls. Last thing I want is home or cell number to get turned loose to a list as will propagate till phone will never stop ringing.

The other two sales people don't ask me for I.D. but he says it is mandatory. Wonder how I managed to go 32 years without giving home phone number if its mandatory and others still don't ask. Now I wait for one of the others and if he is only one in building due to lunch or others away from sales desk I leave. Entire point of hometown old fashioned lumber store is personal service. I am used to signing tickets at most vendors, receiving monthly invoice and mailing my check. I know you have to be careful to keep your job these days but corporate clients are generally treated as such.

So as much as I prefer to do business the old fashioned way, it seems to be going out of style. I get my best service at Lowe's, its closest, get best price and open when we get in from our day of work. Generally spend the day on job sites then pick up materials for next day when get in which makes the store still open when days work is finished the one to get most of my business.

Brian in MN
July 05, 2015, 10:42
Ha, if you think service is lousy at Lowes you ought to try to deal with real estate agents...

Evets
July 06, 2015, 10:02
I typically have a better experience with Lowe's than HD, but oftentimes they're one in the same but with a few different suppliers and therefore different products. As others have said, it all depends on the person working, as there are some ol' timers that are amazing at both stores. My local lumberyard does have some better prices and better merchandise, so I do try and give them my business when I can.

BTW, all my local Lowe's gives 10% off to veterans everyday, while HD only does on "patriotic holidays"...so I go with Lowe's.