PDA

View Full Version : PTR-91 issue

hagar
June 22, 2015, 10:53
I bought a PTR-91 made by JLD Industries off GB, but the rifle shoots 4 feet right at 200 yards with rear sight centered. Looks like the front sight is canted left.

Guy I bought it from is willing to take it back, but I got a good deal on it, came with fixed and adjustable stocks and looks almost new for $850.

How much of an issue ($$$) is this for a good smith to fix it? Don't think I can do it myself.

djfin
June 22, 2015, 11:22
The front site base most likely needs to be moved the get it vertical. It will require welding and refinishing. As most of the gunsmiths that hang out on this site are very backed up or are not doing HK at this time I do know a good HK smith how can turn it around fast and at a reasonable price. PM if you wish contact info as I do not want to advertise for a non sponsor

nwobhm
June 22, 2015, 12:16
Why not let PTR fix it?

TurnkeyNomo
June 22, 2015, 12:25
Why not let PTR fix it?

I think it's a differetn company at this point, no more JLD. You can buy a brand new PTR for $860 from Atlantic Firearms, I'd probably go that route rather than put money into a used gun.

hagar
June 22, 2015, 12:34
WARRANTEE PROBABLY RAN OUT.

Please read the following information carefully as it pertains to the warranty of your rifle, and the procedures for warranty, return, and repair. PTR offers a 3 year warranty from original date of purchase on all products manufactured from January 1, 2012 and on. All PTR products manufactured prior to January 1, 2012 have a 1 year warranty from original date of purchase. All PTR products also have a lifetime or 25,000rd warranty on the internal parts that PTR produces which can include the trunnion, bolt head, bolt carrier, hammer, trigger, and sear.

The adjustable stock that came with the rifle is probably worth $200, and it has an original H&K lower. The newer handgrips/lowers look cheesy, too much like Century.

GunOwner2011
June 22, 2015, 13:08
You'd probably be better off returning the gun, and dropping the same money down on a new PTR.

Either that, or see if the Seller will allow you to keep the gun, and he pays the whole repair cost.

The way I see it, you got a defective gun at a lower price than market might be, but what you saved when you bought the gun will be eaten up by the cost of repairs. In other words, not a good deal as it stands.

hagar
June 22, 2015, 13:24
Just got an email back from my favorite smith, he quotes me around $200 to fix it. Will see if the seller will pay 50%. That way he does not have to deal with it himself, and I get to keep what is otherwise a nice rifle.

wanneroo
June 22, 2015, 13:35
A lot of people like the original JLD rifles, it has parts on it that are worth something extra, the price is decent and you found someone to fix it for $200. I'd say I would keep it and get it fixed.

djfin
June 22, 2015, 17:03
You'd probably be better off returning the gun, and dropping the same money down on a new PTR.

Either that, or see if the Seller will allow you to keep the gun, and he pays the whole repair cost.

The way I see it, you got a defective gun at a lower price than market might be, but what you saved when you bought the gun will be eaten up by the cost of repairs. In other words, not a good deal as it stands.

Lets look at this from a value point of view.
JLD Rifle - Made from real HK parts not US made copies ie real HK hammer forged barrel,HK made trunion, HK stock set and trigger housing. I am not positive but I believe the adjustable butt stock mentioned is an HK collapsible stock, a $250.00 to $300.00 adder to the value. If it is the Magpul one its worth $225.00. more Purchase price $850.00 very good deal.

New PTR Rifle
Cheapest one on the PTR website $995.00
PTR made barrel and Trunion, PTR made plastic trigger housing, PTR made trigger group, PTR made bolt and carrier group. Some of the stock sets are PTR made a few are HK made. Add the cost of the butt stock and you at $1250.00 to $1300.00 plus shipping and you still have that US made cheesy looking (Century looking crap) Trigger housing.

My smith quoted appox $100.00 and a week turn around. Well known at HKPRO and several other sites
JLD Rifle repair appox $100.00 plus shipping both ways say $30.00 each way
Total into fixed rifle $1010.00 and you have a rifle that is mostly real HK parts
As HK parts will always be worth more than US made copies it seems to be a pretty good deal as far as value is concerned

rustypirate
June 22, 2015, 23:48
I would be hesitant about a cheap fix on one of these rifles, especially ifit was assembled with HK or FMP parts.

If it is shooting that far off then chances are that the trunion may have been welded into the receiver out of time. While you can fix the point-of-aim issue by tweaking the triple-frame on the barrel, if the trunion is out of time then you will have issues with the bolt head striking the trunion prematurely as it goes into battery.

This problem requires removing the trunion and re-installing it. Not easy to do without damaging the receiver.

Ask me how I know....

djfin
June 23, 2015, 10:45
Why bring up issues that have little or no chance of being the problem? If the Trunion was canted the rifle would bind and not feed reliably. Neither of these issues were mentioned. It is easy to check the trunion to make sure it is installed correctly. The most common reason for the rifle to shoot four feet to the right is that the front site base is canted. It is possible that the receiver is bent, the barrel is worn out and that the whole thing is trash, But why look for complicated problems when the most common reason is the front site base. While $100.00 is a reasonable charge to fix this issue it is not "cheap". The smith I recommended is well known in the HK world and does quality work. He will check out the rifle before the work starts and will not do unneeded work so there is no "chance" with a "cheap" fix that does not correct the problem

wanneroo
June 23, 2015, 10:46
Well I am surprised the previous owner didn't pick up on the fact that the front sight was canted. Mine came from the PTR factory in such a way and how they didn't pick it up in quality control is beyond me, as it was glaringly obvious.

djfin
June 23, 2015, 13:49
Why assume that is a factory built rifle? It could have been built by the seller. JLD receivers that have not been built come up for sale on GB every once in a while, I have bought two of them. One with the Trunion installed one without. The barrel pin hole was not drilled threw on the one with the trunion installed.

wanneroo
June 23, 2015, 18:56
Why assume that is a factory built rifle? It could have been built by the seller. JLD receivers that have not been built come up for sale on GB every once in a while, I have bought two of them. One with the Trunion installed one without. The barrel pin hole was not drilled threw on the one with the trunion installed.

Could be but if so you figure he'd notice it one way or another.

Grinder
June 23, 2015, 19:49
The B prefix receivers were sold bare
The A prefix were factory built

hagar
June 24, 2015, 10:11
The B prefix receivers were sold bare
The A prefix were factory built

Mine has the A prefix. Seller said he never shot the rifle, which may be true. Bolt showed no signs of ever been shot. I worked it out with him to share repair cost and shipping.

John Crusher
June 24, 2015, 17:57
I had a JLD. Cost me $ to fix and lost $ on the sale. IF I buy another it will be HK or old Century Cetme with vaculok cast receiver. Good luck man.

G3isMe
June 24, 2015, 23:06
Mine has the A prefix. Seller said he never shot the rifle, which may be true. Bolt showed no signs of ever been shot. I worked it out with him to share repair cost and shipping.

If the Smith knows HK rifles it will turn out well. When I first read your post I thought either front site or maybe even the rear site is canted. This should be an easy fix. Good luck with your rifle and enjoy it when she comes home.

N4KVE
June 25, 2015, 13:27
Lets look at this from a value point of view.
JLD Rifle - Made from real HK parts not US made copies ie real HK hammer forged barrel,HK made trunion, HK stock set and trigger housing.My JLD gun was built with a US made Wilson heavy barrel [excellent quality], & a JLD hammer, & sear [also excellent quality]. POF bolt, & Rheinmetal carrier [again excellent quality]. While US parts varied from gun, to gun depending on what was available on the surplus market, real HK, or other contract barrels were never used in the building of JLD, or PTR rifles. GARY

djfin
June 29, 2015, 10:00
My JLD gun was built with a US made Wilson heavy barrel [excellent quality], & a JLD hammer, & sear [also excellent quality]. POF bolt, & Rheinmetal carrier [again excellent quality]. While US parts varied from gun, to gun depending on what was available on the surplus market, real HK, or other contract barrels were never used in the building of JLD, or PTR rifles. GARY

Took me to get in contact with my ex brother in law. As I thought I remembered he owns an A prefix JLD rifle with a POF barrel on it. He picked it up years ago new at a LGS. When it comes to firearms I have learned that it is best to never say "never". One of the two stripped JLD receivers that I have purchased in the past is an "A" prefix that was "only" sold on a factory built rifle.