PDA

View Full Version : Inglis Made Chinese Export HP

Mark IV
June 21, 2015, 20:02
I picked up one of these pistols off of arfcom. Looks re-parked, tangent sight, and doesn't have a JI magazine. $475. Did I pay too much? I can't imagine I did for an Inglis model in any condition except scrap.

????

VALMET
June 21, 2015, 20:22
Not a HP expert by any means but I'm if the same thinking- an Inglis HP in almost any condition is a good deal at $475.

rarecat
June 21, 2015, 20:35
Paid more than that for mine....well bought

Mark IV
June 21, 2015, 23:06
Well, after doing some research I've found that the Chinese contract HPs were parkerized. That's a plus.

justashooter
June 22, 2015, 07:34
are you sure it's not a Chinese made "englis"?

Mark IV
June 22, 2015, 09:42
are you sure it's not a Chinese made "englis"?

Pretty sure. "Inglis Canada" is roll marked on the slide behind the slide stop. Hit ctrl + to zoom in.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d130/connie82/inglis_zpsszgijkog.jpg

BruceHMX
July 14, 2015, 13:12
Sarco has the replacement lanyard ring and stud. Looks nice. You did fantastic at that price.

STGThndr
October 10, 2015, 18:53
OK I had a couple of these which I bought when first imported. As I remember them they were a bit "clunky-feeling" compared to the polished jewelry feel of my commercials. It is possible to find legal remakes of the holster/buttstocks that fit these and (sort of) justify the "long range" sights. As so often with refurbed mil guns the park/repark can cover a multitude of surface blemishes, tho I understand that park was the original finish. With some you can still see pitting beneath the park. These made nice shooters/trunk guns and were inexpensive at the time. Some had obviously old and "shot with corrosive ammo" barrels. The grips were thick, black, sturdy non-ergonomic plastic, functional but that's about it. I will say that all were functional and reliable- mine actually functioned with 115 gr hp's tho I trusted surp 124 gr.
The Chinese- Nationalist and the "agrarian reformers"- loved these and other buttstocked pistols. It is said that these pistols were easier to smuggle past the Japanese and into the active war zones, and the distance adjustable sights made them more useful if needed in the carbine role. These are basically the British P35, made by Inglis in Canada and shipped to Britain and China. Some may have made it to the RVN via Chinese "lend-lease". ALL Inglis were well-made guns even during wartime- in my experience, and I kinda wish I had kept at least one of them. Just cuz. A loaded HP with an extra mag.. not today's state of the art and I prefer a double-action mostly- but have trusted my life more than once to one of these.
As mentioned above, there is the "possiblility" that a cheaply-made Chinese knock-off may have been issued and retired with the real ones. Never heard of any and certainly have never seen anything like that in any of the PRC surp that passed thru my hands, that's just my experience, admittedly limited compared to some. If I had gotten stuck with one, I would have cussed, wall-hangered it and kept it for what it was.
Check it out, rack a mag or two thru it, check UNLOADED for trigger and safety function and if possible dump a mag or two. If needed springs and small bits can be replaced.
Good luck and enjoy! Dun