PDA

View Full Version : 22 Long

hokey45
June 18, 2015, 10:47
Going through the ammo stash inherited from my grandfather I found several boxes of 22 longs. I don't think I've seen these for sale in a long time. Are they good for any special purpose or should I just plink with them?

MAINER
June 18, 2015, 12:20
Likely the boxes are more valuable than the cartridges, but I'd hold off on the plinking until I was sure that I wasn't shooting off something a collector might value.

You might find some info here;
http://iaaforum.org/forum3/viewforum.php?f=1&sid=9a90480c7c51794ed63e88c87af5e605

I'm better at emptying cartridges than I am at collecting them. :tongue:

As a aside, shooting "Long" rimfires in a "Long Rifle" chamber leads to a fouling that can prevent chambering a LR cartridge later. A thorough cleaning after shooting the shorter cases will eliminate that problem.

flopshot
June 18, 2015, 13:38
sell it. seems a bit hard to come by.

hokey45
June 18, 2015, 17:00
It's 1980's vintage Remington in good shape.

hokey45
June 18, 2015, 17:02
As a aside, shooting "Long" rimfires in a "Long Rifle" chamber leads to a fouling that can prevent chambering a LR cartridge later. A thorough cleaning after shooting the shorter cases will eliminate that problem.

I think you are talking about Shorts. These have the same case as a Long Rifle but with a shorter (lighter) bullet.

MAINER
June 18, 2015, 17:38
I think you are talking about Shorts. These have the same case as a Long Rifle but with a shorter (lighter) bullet.

:facepalm:
Likely right, been a couple decades since I've laid eyes on a .22 Long. My booger.

justashooter
June 19, 2015, 10:18
some turn of the century rifles and handguns were made for 22 long, and are not intended for 22 long rifle.

the first common fixed ammo case was about the same as a modern 22cb, and was developed for S&W handguns in about 1855. the 22 short was derived from this, with a "long" case being added that used the same 29 grain bullet as a 22 short at the tail end of the black powder age. 22 long rifle was added at the beginning of the semi-smokeless age and bullet weight was increased to 40 grains. in the black powder loadings the 22 long had more powder than the short, but made somewhat less energy than the semi-smokeless 22 long rifle, and later smokeless versions.

we are talking about 100 foot pounds of energy, so the difference between long and long rifle is not great, but there may be chamber leade differences in certain transitional period 22 long guns that could lead to over pressure if fired with long rifle ammo.