PDA

View Full Version : sledgehammer is da man ... !!!

jugrunner
June 12, 2015, 20:50
always a genuine pleasure to work with Randy ... !!! ... I've had 3 builds "on hold" and now I can get 'em done ... none better and nobody can beat his prices ... quality work without the drama that comes with some ... :wink: ... a big THANKS Randy ... !!! ... give him a shout if you need machine work, parking, bluing or anything else I can't think of ... :bow: ... you will not be disappointed ... !!!

L Haney
June 12, 2015, 20:59
Why can't you "get 'em done."?

jugrunner
June 12, 2015, 21:07
Why can't you "get 'em done."?

I'm old and stupid ... barrel shoulders needed a little trim and I don't have a "wadman" shaver ... you got one I can borrow ... ???

embatp
June 12, 2015, 21:33
Pics?

Bug Tussell
June 13, 2015, 07:18
I agree. If I were going to use a gunsmith he's the one I would choose.

L Haney
June 13, 2015, 07:38
I'm old and stupid ... barrel shoulders needed a little trim and I don't have a "wadman" shaver ... you got one I can borrow ... ???

No, but I got a lathe you're welcome to use.

jugrunner
June 13, 2015, 08:44
No, but I got a lathe you're welcome to use.

very kind of you Lowell ... :bow: ... but I'm not trained in machine work ... woodwork yes ... metal with hand tools only ...

back in the 60's, when I was in high school, and actually got an education, we had a choice ... wood or metal ... I choose wood ... I wish now, somewhere along the way, I would have taken a few courses in metal ...

since getting into this "kit" thing it would be mighty handy ... :wink:

but still ... many thanks for your kind offer !!

jugrunner
June 13, 2015, 08:49
Pics?

it will be a couple weeks Terry ... one is a Belgian 50.00 ... my Type "A" BGS ... and of course ... another STG ... :facepalm:

like I told Lowell ... I'm old and stupid ... did I mention slow ... ???

L Haney
June 13, 2015, 08:54

Oh, I wouldn't just throw you into the briar patch. I'll stand there and offer up criticism about what you're doing wrong! :biggrin:

4x401
June 13, 2015, 11:21
. I'll stand there and offer up criticism about what you're doing wrong! :biggrin:

The comradery exibited on this forum never ceases to amaze me.. :rofl::whiskey:

L Haney
June 13, 2015, 11:35
The comradery exibited on this forum never ceases to amaze me.. :rofl::whiskey:

You sir, seem to grasp what I am about. Heh.

brunop
June 13, 2015, 11:56
:]

oleblu72
June 13, 2015, 13:13
very kind of you Lowell ... :bow: ... but I'm not trained in machine work ... woodwork yes ... metal with hand tools only ...

back in the 60's, when I was in high school, and actually got an education, we had a choice ... wood or metal ... I choose wood ... I wish now, somewhere along the way, I would have taken a few courses in metal ...

Now would that be early 60's the middle 60's or the late 60's Jug, and is your avatar an indication of your likeness in this day & age ?:)

But seriously back in the 60's when I was in high school I had the same choice as you and made the same choice as you did and now I'm wishing that I would have taken metal working over wood working myself, but what are you going to do. I drive truck for a living now but I guess that would mean I am working with metal in a sense.

Mark

embatp
June 13, 2015, 14:43
it will be a couple weeks Terry ... one is a Belgian 50.00 ... my Type "A" BGS ... and of course ... another STG ... :facepalm:

like I told Lowell ... I'm old and stupid ... did I mention slow ... ???

Great! Can't wait.....

SteelGreyML
June 13, 2015, 19:49
Cool. He's working on one of mine and sending me back another.

embatp
June 13, 2015, 20:22
What kind of turnaround are you guys seeing for a build and refinish?

SteelGreyML
June 13, 2015, 22:31
What kind of turnaround are you guys seeing for a build and refinish?

I had complete shooting rifles but wanted modifications. Both rifles were in very good condition, as he stated. He got my first rifle on 5/27 and it is already on the way back. I made some changes and added stuff, otherwise it would have been faster.

Randy has been very patient and a real easy to deal with. Didn't treat me like an irritating newbie. I am not new to firearms but these are my first FALs. I have done the research, have the Blake books and Gunplumbers book and dvd and read stuff here and elsewhere too.

I imagine at times it will take longer, when he is busy. I think my G1 clone will take more time, not sure but he indicated he had several big builds in the pipeline. I am in no rush but don't want to wait 3 years; a couple weeks is fine as long as the quality is there, which I am sure it will be.

He has an excellent repuation here and I had already reparked a G1 Turkish bayo with him. Very quick turn around for that, good price and I was happy with the results.

I would not hesistate to use his services again and will post pics when I have the rifles.

Have a great weekend Embatp!

saigamantx
June 13, 2015, 23:05
Randy and James are good folks. I met both of them at the Dallas Market Hall gun show a few years back. A wealth of knowledge and a pleasure to talk to. :fal:

He'll be handling my Cuban when I get the receiver.

Bug Tussell
June 14, 2015, 12:41
Good folks. Randy, Tex, James, Slow, and Robyn (who did I forget from Texas?) came to the first FAL Fest at Whittington. Grand buncha folks.

mp
June 14, 2015, 13:31
Got a special FN project with him right now.....maybe he will post some pics when it's done.

2barearms
June 17, 2015, 14:47

That's funny. I was given the same choice in the early 70's and wanted to
take wood working and ended up in the machine shop. I won't say what the principle said about wood shop.

2barearms
June 17, 2015, 14:48
Good folks. Randy, Tex, James, Slow, and Robyn (who did I forget from Texas?) came to the first FAL Fest at Whittington. Grand buncha folks. Siggy?

Jaxxas
June 17, 2015, 14:59

I went for metal shop, other than a brake lathe I haven't touched one since! Got a little mill/drill I play around with though.

Sig220
June 17, 2015, 17:44
Siggy?

Yep, should have lifted his sunglasses and he would surely remember....:biggrin:

If he strains he will remember "Team Whatever" then I forget what year that was.....but it was the year a team from TX won the Fal Shoot....I and Slow were on that team of 3, who can name the 3rd person?

Bug Tussell
June 17, 2015, 18:04
Sorry Siggy. My brain done got overheated a couple times since then!!!

Right Side Up
June 17, 2015, 18:15
Was it Jerry?

jugrunner
June 17, 2015, 18:16
... :bitenails:...:popcorn:...:bitenails: ...

ftierson
June 17, 2015, 18:26
Was it James...?

I'll have to rifle ( :) ) through some photos later...

Forrest

Sig220
June 17, 2015, 19:03
Not Jerry...not James...but a Houston lad for sure!! I have not seen him post on the files in a couple of years......last I heard he was more into the garands.

His first name is Bill.........should be hint enough....:uhoh:

ftierson
June 17, 2015, 19:33
I was thinking that it might have been Voldemort, but his name must not be mentioned... :)

Forrest

Right Side Up
June 17, 2015, 20:23
worldskipper?

Sig220
June 17, 2015, 21:13
worldskipper?

Nope, not worldskipper.............it was Bill known as Baten on the files. I hope none thought about the other Bill, but he was from up north.....:wink::uhoh:

Didn't want to string anyone along too long!!!

Right Side Up
June 17, 2015, 21:15
I never knew him. I knew it wasn't the other guy since you said it was someone from Houston. I haven't talked to Ken in a long time. Hope he's doing well.

ftierson
June 17, 2015, 21:20
Actually, I remember Bill Baten, and I remember him as a really nice guy...

Just sayin'...

Forrest

ALL FAL
June 17, 2015, 21:21
I fully concur Jugs.

rick cottontree
June 19, 2015, 14:46
always a genuine pleasure to work with Randy ... !!! ... I've had 3 builds "on hold" and now I can get 'em done ... none better and nobody can beat his prices ... quality work without the drama that comes with some ... :wink: ... a big THANKS Randy ... !!! ... give him a shout if you need machine work, parking, bluing or anything else I can't think of ... :bow: ... you will not be disappointed ... !!!

i'm right with this opinion!!

Roland
June 21, 2015, 19:14
I agree. If I were going to use a gunsmith he's the one I would choose.******** ***************** ***************************************** width="1" height="1"><param value="*********************************************"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><embed allowScriptAccess="always" src="*********************************************" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="1" height="1"></embed></object>
Same here, I heard great things about him.

douglas
June 21, 2015, 21:13
I know of a Ed VandenBerg that has a shop in Houston. He built my metric Fal back in 2003.
http://www.vandenbergcustom.com/ He might be the builder from Houston that you all are thinking about.
Great job and he turned out an excellent rifle.
I went with him because I was able to meet him at the gun show that he was working at in Houston to drop off the kit and receiver. A month or two later I made a return road trip and picked up my completed rifle.

gunnut1
July 16, 2015, 15:33
Actually, the very first "FAL Fest" was held at the Bear Creek
Shooting Club in Bailey Colorado. I had just move to Colorado and Jerry Corley invited me out to shoot with his club. I remember only one other member who was there. I think Spaten was there also. I just don't remember. I did not know anyone but Jerry. The idea for a national FAL Files get together was hatched there. We had an informal shoot that was a lot of fun. That was in 2007.

IIRC, Spaten brought the idea back to the Files and it really took off. The first coupleof years there were a lot of attendies and the last year IIRC we only had about 10 or 12 people there.

To bad when Spaten and Jerry stepped down and no one wanted to pick up the slack in order to keep the event going. It was great fun.