PDA

View Full Version : Need help on what to do with Galil build

RayBz
June 01, 2015, 00:55
I don't know if this is the right board to put this up on but I need help. I recently bought one of the Galil parts kit from Apex arms and just received it today.

I was planning on buying a CNC warrior Galil receiver this week until I found out that I have to be 21 to actually get the receiver. Granted I was an idiot for not reading it up beforehand but right now I'm completely befuddled over what to do.

Does anyone has any ideas on what to do other than selling the parts kit? I still want to get this build done and I was thinking I could have the receiver sent directly to the gunsmith and have it shipped as a complete rifle to my FFL...

Sagerider
June 01, 2015, 08:21
Do not begin your first adventure into building a rifle by committing a crime as in
A Straw Purchase. Go through the proper procedures always. :)

kwthor
June 01, 2015, 09:54
I don't know if this is the right board to put this up on but I need help. I recently bought one of the Galil parts kit from Apex arms and just received it today.

I was planning on buying a CNC warrior Galil receiver this week until I found out that I have to be 21 to actually get the receiver. Granted I was an idiot for not reading it up beforehand but right now I'm completely befuddled over what to do.

Does anyone has any ideas on what to do other than selling the parts kit or doing a wheat stubble buy? I still want to get this build done and I was thinking I could have the receiver sent directly to the gunsmith and have it shipped as a complete rifle to my FFL...

For your own good please edit this post and remove the offending terminology.

suggestion:
Do you have to be 21 to purchase a rifle in PA?
If you can purchase a complete rifle in PA you should b able to purchase the S/N part which is the rifle per the ATF.
What is to stop you from having a local FFL and/or gunsmith order the parts for you and put it together. If you do your home work and find someone who will work with you seems like a way to go. You could pay in advance for the receiver, they order it and put it together. If you can buy complete rifle from local FFL.

June 01, 2015, 13:23

Does anyone has any ideas on what to do other than selling the parts kit. I still want to get this build done and I was thinking I could have the receiver sent directly to the gunsmith and have it shipped as a complete rifle to my FFL...

Just clean up the parts kit and put it on the shelf for now. Buy a receiver when you turn 21.

RayBz
June 01, 2015, 13:34
Would it be any at all possible to ship the parts to a gunsmith like Azex and have them order the receiver, have them build and refinish the the firearm, purchase the complete firearm from them, and have it shipped to my local FFL?

James
June 01, 2015, 18:16
How old are you?

def90
June 01, 2015, 18:29
Would it be any at all possible to ship the parts to a gunsmith like Azex and have them order the receiver, have them build and refinish the the firearm, purchase the complete firearm from them, and have it shipped to my local FFL?

If they sell you the receiver and do the build I believe they then become a manufacturer rather than simply a gunsmith assembling your rifle kit. There are tax issues involved and so on.

Pennsylvania law says you only need to be 18 to purchase a long gun, what the issue with not being able to buy the receiver?

Brian in MN
June 01, 2015, 18:51

If you can do this: "purchase the complete firearm from them, and have it shipped to my local FFL?" , you can purchase the receiver. Have one of your parents sign for it.

shortround
June 01, 2015, 19:03
A bare, virgin receiver is considered "other" by the feds. Not a rifle, not a pistol. By their logic, since it could be made into either, the FFL has to go by the same rules as a pistol, which means the buyer has to be 21, and a resident in the state that possession takes place.

If Gunplumber sees this, he could answer the question on whether you could have it sent to him to be built. For sure, he would have to send it back to your FFL for transfer to you.

J. Armstrong
June 01, 2015, 19:41
Doesn't the current 4473 require you to note whether the receiver will be built into a rifle or a pistol ( and the answer can never be changed :rolleyes: ) ? I would guess that by specifying "rifle" you would then be legal to buy it at age 18 ? Of course, that may seem logical and thus have no bearing on the "reality" of the BATFE or state law.

RayBz
June 02, 2015, 15:30
I checked and you definitely have to be 21 to order a receiver since it's classified as a firearm instead of a long rifle or shotgun under.

"Section 921(a)(3)(b). 18 U.S.C. Section 922(b)(1) makes it unlawful for a licensee to sell any firearm other than a shotgun or rifle to any person under the age of 21."

Bubacus
June 03, 2015, 05:57
Sit on that Galil parts kit and watch the value rise when they dry up. Or sell it and go buy a nice AK.

J. Armstrong
June 03, 2015, 07:12
I checked and you definitely have to be 21 to order a receiver since it's classified as a firearm instead of a long rifle or shotgun under.

"Section 921(a)(3)(b). 18 U.S.C. Section 922(b)(1) makes it unlawful for a licensee to sell any firearm other than a shotgun or rifle to any person under the age of 21."

I should have known :facepalm:

raexcct2
June 05, 2015, 12:02
Save the kit to keep as a spare and find another Galil that has been built up on a CNC Warrior receiver. I recently bought 3 Galil kits from Apex to go with the receivers I bought years ago. After I bought the receivers, I found out that Apex ran out of kits and no one else had them. Glad Apex has the kits again as I am partial to the Galil as my 5.56 rifle.

If I were you I would buy at least 3 kits before they run out again.

hueyville
June 05, 2015, 21:02
My parents bought a lot of guns with my money before 18th birthday. In those days could walk in the local hardware store, buy a pistol and owner would remind me to have parents stop and sign the papers next time in town. At age 15 purchased a Model 19 Smith with two boxes of CCI Lawman ammo. Don't think either of my folks filled out papers half the time and local Sheriff watched that transaction take place and me drive off in own car knowing only had a learners permit. Growing up in rural farm country during 60's and 70's was nice. 12th birthday Dad gave me a Volkswagen Beetle and a Ruger Mk 1 Standard 22 pistol. Already had a 22 rifle. His comment was if I screwed up with either would take both away. At 13 got my first center fire rifle, 14 a 38 special wheel gun and at 15 was buying guns and driving myself into Atlanta to buy reloading supplies. Local game warden taught me to reload at age 12 and from 13 till got own equipment used his unsupervised as kept in unlocked shed. We got to play with dynomite and such. Had to drive tractors and other equipment as soon as feet reached the pedals with a block of wood wired on so easier to reach. Growing up on a farm meant the kids worked like men as soon as able to hold or operate the appropriate tool. By 14 could back the tractor in the shop and use the welder to fix a broken bush hog or other implement without pulling dad off his job. Cutting hay could run the sickle, rake into rows and then bail by myself before most kids can stop riding in a booster seat these days. I would have good ol dad order up my receiver. If over 18 I see no problem if building a rifle. Without some good kids coming up this country is going to take a total dump sooner than later.

AFeod
June 05, 2015, 21:50
Just clean up the parts kit and put it on the shelf for now. Buy a receiver when you turn 21.

+1... You'll be there soon enough.

RayBz
June 06, 2015, 13:55
I would have good ol dad order up my receiver.

That's my problem, my parents don't live in this country. I moved here my junior year of high school as part of a study abroad program and ended up going to college here and will undergo the immigration process soon. Right now I'm just grateful I can buy firearms...