PDA

View Full Version : Chilean Model 1895

hangfire762
May 25, 2015, 11:52
I'm lucky to have the friends that I do. The same old friend that gave me the K98 mauser, gave me another gift a Chilean Model 1895 Mauser. He had it for years. It was one of many older rifles he was given when his father-in-law passed away. His father-in-law was a plumber/electrician from a small town and often got paid in trade goods as well as cash. Anyway, this rifle has seen "Bubba's" saw on the stock, the rear sight base was removed, and it was drilled for a scope. My buddy never shot it. Anyway, the day he gave it to me I took it out and was surprised to see that it was right on at 100yrds. So, a couple hours later I carried it out on a hog hunt...and it didn't disappoint. The hog in the pic I took at 150yrds at a trot. I really like the 7mm mauser round. So, i've decided to make this next deer seasons Rifle....and possibly many seasons after. I ordered a laminate stock from Boyds and will have the metal parts parkerized. My dilemma is the barrel. It's still in it's original length...29 inches. Should I leave it....or have it cut back to 24 or 26 inches? Where I hunt, you have shots that can be taken anywhere between 100 and 500 yards. My first deer last season was taken at 300. Though I'd be somewhat reluctant to take a shot much further than that. http://i748.photobucket.com/albums/xx125/hangfire762/chilean%20M95_zps5ybtraiy.jpg (http://s748.photobucket.com/user/hangfire762/media/chilean%20M95_zps5ybtraiy.jpg.html)

MAINER
May 25, 2015, 14:35
Due to the rifle having already been assaulted by Bubba, you may as well go ahead and make it fit your purposes. I'd cut the barrel back to 25", just because I like being different and very few rifles have a 25" barrel.. :D
Wither it's 24, 25 or 26 inches, no difference, except for 25 to 30 fps in muzzle velocity for each inch cut.

If you like the barrel as it is at 29", by all means leave it full length, it harms nothing.
Be sure to get a good crown on the barrel if you do cut it.

The Model 95 "cocks on closing" and drives some folks nuts (me, for one). I had a Model 95 and had it converted to "cock on opening" same as my 98 Mausers. Recommend having this job done by a Gunsmith that's familiar with Mausers if you decide to do it.

Again, if you don't mind the way the Bolt works, no sense in having the conversion done.

I would keep the rifle pretty much as it is except for a stock. You won't add anything to its value no matter what you do, except to make it useful for your purpose.

The 7X57 MM Mauser was always a great cartridge, still is.

VALMET
May 25, 2015, 15:16
That 1895 wouldn't happen to have an "OVS" stamped anywhere on it, would it??

hangfire762
May 25, 2015, 17:27
I haven't noticed an "OVS" stamp anywhere. What does that stamp mean?

VALMET
May 25, 2015, 17:31
Ok- would've been on the left side of the receiver ring and on the stock just under it. A handful of Chilean guns were originally mfg'd for the Orange Free State and transferred to Chile following the British blockade of arms to the Boers in South Africa. I had a good one almost 10 years ago and wish I'd never sold it.

hangfire762
May 25, 2015, 17:38
That's what I thought. The Boers sure made good use of the 95.

tywest
May 25, 2015, 17:43
I have one for sale thats not molested :biggrin:

VALMET
May 25, 2015, 17:45
I have one for sale thats not molested :biggrin:

An OVS 1895??

hangfire762
May 25, 2015, 18:31
What other markings did the Free State rifles have?

VALMET
May 25, 2015, 19:04
OVS over the rifle's SN on both the receiver and the stock. That is all that I remember.

tywest
May 26, 2015, 09:14
Mine is 7.62 converted by chileans, not familiar with OVS

kev
May 26, 2015, 10:41
It's shooting now,.......I'd leave it be.

The people who are driven nuts by "cocks on closing" were probably nuts to begin with. "Cocks on closing" is a smoother action and preferable to "cocks on opening" in every way,..........except for popularity among the heathen.

MAINER
May 26, 2015, 15:38
Then, a heathen I am. ;)

People keep calling me that, even a Priest once. I'm not even Catholic, ya suppose he didn't like Baptists? :confused: