PDA

View Full Version : SBR done but have a question

LAFAL
May 15, 2015, 12:09
I mailed my form 4 off Dec 4th 2014. Pending Jan.7 and approved April 16th. Yea. Put an AAC .300BO 9" barrel on my (now) engraved lower and my YHM Phantom and brake on it. Runs like a scaled cat with the suppressor on and the OAL is about the same as the original carbine barrel w/o the suppressor. My question is this: Is the lower considered the SBR since it's the serial # associated with the form 4? Can I put another caliber SBR upper on it even though the form says .300 Blackout? I'd really like to do a 5.56 or pistol carbine but don't know if another form 4 is required with the same serial #- seems like that would confuse the ATF. And I'd like to post a picture of it but can't because every time I try it says the file is too big (that's what she said).

shortround
May 15, 2015, 17:33
I mailed my form 4 off Dec 4th 2014. Pending Jan.7 and approved April 16th. Yea. Put an AAC .300BO 9" barrel on my (now) engraved lower and my YHM Phantom and brake on it. Runs like a scaled cat with the suppressor on and the OAL is about the same as the original carbine barrel w/o the suppressor. My question is this: Is the lower considered the SBR since it's the serial # associated with the form 4? Can I put another caliber SBR upper on it even though the form says .300 Blackout? I'd really like to do a 5.56 or pistol carbine but don't know if another form 4 is required with the same serial #- seems like that would confuse the ATF. And I'd like to post a picture of it but can't because every time I try it says the file is too big (that's what she said).

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/what-registered-part-short-barreled-rifle-sbr-or-short-barreled-shotgun-sbs

What is the registered part of a Short Barreled Rifle (SBR) or Short Barreled Shotgun (SBS)?

While a receiver alone may be classified as a “firearm” under the Gun Control Act (GCA), SBRs and SBSs are classified in totality under the National Firearms Act (NFA). A firearm that meets the definition of a SBR consists of a rifle that has a barrel less than 16 inches in length. A SBS consists of a shotgun that has a barrel less than 18 inches in length. The serialized receiver is recorded for registration in the National Firearms Registration and Transfer Record (NFRTR).

L Haney
May 15, 2015, 17:51
If you read more of the 'guidance' from those guys, you can file 'amendments' and make everything all better.

Ahem.

You will be approaching the exact same governmental agency, that by their rules, my suppressor can move on the ground almost 300 miles south of my address, but not 12 miles west without their consent.

I was under the impression they vetted me, not my geographical coordinates, to deem me worthy of being trusted with 4 ounces of aluminum.

Perhaps I was mistaken.

Fire 'em off a letter of query, and post their response here. Should prove beautiful, and I love beautiful things.

SAFN49
May 15, 2015, 21:05
If you have another upper in a different caliber that you swap out, no big deal.
If you alter it to another caliber you need to notify them of the change.

GTG Example; travel to the range with the 300BO upper on it, swap to XYZ caliber upper while shooting, swap back to 300BO while transporting it back home, all is good.

Bad example; Form 4 says 30 cal 14" bbl, change a non quick change bbl'd rifle to a 5.56 with a 12" bbl, could lead to problems if you do not notify the ATF.

notfrommt
May 15, 2015, 21:44
Do not keep loose SBR uppers around loose non-SBR registered lowers.

It's evidently very dangerous and causes crime.

kev
May 16, 2015, 11:10
Temporary change,....no problem. A permanent change requires notification.

Hey L Haney,............suppressors and AOWs don't need a 5320.20 to travel interstate. Just be sure they're legal where you're taking them.