PDA

View Full Version : CMP-100,000 1911's coming up for sale

ALL FAL
May 14, 2015, 18:26
http://www.guns.com/2015/05/08/house-advances-amendment-to-sell-milsurp-1911s-through-cmp/

I'm ready. :)

rowjimmy
May 14, 2015, 22:00
I wonder what they'll cost.

MAINER
May 15, 2015, 08:00
As a "shooter", they're not worth anything over $400, if that. For a collectable, who knows, nostalgia is expensive.

I likes my 1911's, but the ones we were issued in the 60's are clunkers compared to what is available in today's marketplace.

I am glad to see the old warrior's go to folks that want them. That's not the fate I would have expected
from the Needledink administration.

Stoney
May 15, 2015, 13:50
The one I was issued in '59 ratted so bad that it could have been used as a castinet(sp) in a Mexican band and it shot 3' left and 3' down:eek:

W.E.G.
May 15, 2015, 14:04
Damn.

Just when I thought I was FINALLY rid of 1911 and .45 ACP.

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=79483&stc=1&d=1431717101

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=79485&stc=1&d=1431717161

Retired Bum
May 15, 2015, 17:12
So do any of you actually think that these M1911's will actually go to the CMP? Wistful thinking won't make it happen. And if both houses of congress give the okay you know that Zippy the Wonder Pussy will veto it.

I don't want to sound like a wet blanket here but one must look at things realistically.

And so it goes.

The Retired One

L Haney
May 15, 2015, 18:05
I know I don't need the CMP and their hordes of "volunteers" that sort and divert, to provide me with an overpriced, clapped out 1911.

Were it up to me, they'd have to gift every damn one of these to a Viet Nam Combat Arms vet that wanted one in honor of their service.

Just to phuck the fat old geezers that will be tossing the bins for 'correct' and valuable collectors items.

W.E.G.
May 15, 2015, 18:20
Zippy the Wonder Pussy will veto it.

I seriously doubt he will veto the National Defense Appropriations Act just because an additional type of obsolete, surplus, 7-shot handgun got added to the bill.

kotengu
May 15, 2015, 18:55
Were it up to me, they'd have to gift every damn one of these to a Viet Nam Combat Arms vet that wanted one in honor of their service.

I like the way you think, Haney.

L Haney
May 15, 2015, 19:05
I like the way you think, Haney.

My thinking has been phucked with by intolerable things I've seen, and been flabbergasted by for decades.

I'm proud of myself for not choking the ever loving shit out of a few assholes that desperately needed it.

But, I'm getting to an age where that looks increasingly as a viable course of action. The downside is starting to come up short.

4x401
May 15, 2015, 19:11
I seriously doubt he will veto the National Defense Appropriations Act just because an additional type of obsolete, surplus, 7-shot handgun got added to the bill.

You can't honestly be that naive...:|

ALL FAL
May 15, 2015, 21:24
Dang, I was a Hope'in for a beautius SINGER 1911 to land at my door, now, not so much.

I like how the EL Haney thinks too, cranky and ticked off as I am. :)

rowjimmy
May 15, 2015, 22:17
WEG is right, they're not gonna veto the fugkin' 2015 (or is it 16?) NDAA over this...

You guys let your hatred of Obama blind you to the fact that Raytheon, Boeing, etc.. want their money. This bill goes through, unless they can cut this rider before it comes to a vote.

nvcdl
May 15, 2015, 22:29
I doubt there are very many intact 1911s left. I'd expect most were demilled during clinton era.

gtodan
May 16, 2015, 09:16
Believe it when I see it. IF it does happen, the "nice" ones will go to auction where they will go to over zealous SFB's.

The rest will be sold in various condition at inflated prices.....

And yes Clinton melted ALOT of these. Friend worked at Rock Island Arsenal witnessed it. We cried elephant tears thru our rage.....

enbloc8
May 16, 2015, 10:53
And yes Clinton melted ALOT of these. Friend worked at Rock Island Arsenal witnessed it. We cried elephant tears thru our rage.....

I know a dealer who purchased a massive lot of surplus .45 grips from RIA years ago. When he asked what happened to the pistols they came from, the arsenal workers silently pointed to a stack of ingots on an adjacent pallet.

gtodan
May 16, 2015, 11:22
Friend worked at Rock Island Arsenal witnessed it.

AND it was not limited to 1911's.

And these libtard SFB's want to put another Clintonista in the Oval Circus Box.

The taxpayer is dirt under their feet. F*$#! em all. Not enough light posts in this country.

Pluribus
May 16, 2015, 13:46
Believe it when I see it. IF it does happen, the "nice" ones will go to auction where they will go to over zealous SFB's.

The rest will be sold in various condition at inflated prices.....

Ding-da, ding-da, da-ding, ding, ding........

Zactly. The 1911 neckbeards are warmin' up in the bullpen.

JeffJ
May 16, 2015, 21:52
Sorry, but I love 1911's and history..depending on price I may be in if it happens.:wink:

wanneroo
May 16, 2015, 22:02
The obama administration whined "no" today on this.

kotengu
May 17, 2015, 08:45
I emailed both my Senators on this today. Who's next?

I understand the House just passed HR1735, which contained an amendment to allow the Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP) to sell off most of the surplus 1911 pistols in Army inventory. As you may know, The Office of the Director of Civilian Marksmanship (DCM) was created by the U.S. Congress as part of the 1903 War Department Appropriations Act. The original purpose was to provide civilians an opportunity to learn and practice marksmanship skills so they would be skilled marksmen if later called on to serve in the U.S. military. The CMP is the newer version of this, and still has a very valuable charter. It is ridiculous how many surplus firearms are destroyed rather than sold to our own citizens. We can save money, preserve history, and help train our citizens in marksmanship all at the same time. Please do everything in your power to support the responsible sale of ALL surplus armament to US Citizens.

A little oversimplified, but those online forms don't have much space. I'm pretty sure their aides just skim it and make a check in the "for" or "against" column anyway.

Anybody know what the Senate Bill number will be?

littlehoot
May 17, 2015, 12:56
FWIW, the current bill changes "rifles" to "firearms"- so any non controlled weapon (no class III etc) would be able to be sold.

andresere
May 18, 2015, 07:57
https://www.nraila.org/articles/20150515/obama-administration-opposes-cmp-handgun-sales

jdmcomp
May 22, 2015, 14:45
The real issue is the numbers, 100K will not go far, and I suspect you will be luck to get one. I also think this might end up in some sort of lottery with all the wants in a big bucket and luck of the draw. Even so I would put my name in.

Aeroscout
May 22, 2015, 15:00
1st IF.......they make it to the CMP at all.......

Assuming they do....

2nd IF.....these 1911's are even remotely in collectible condition I would wager that they don't end up like Garands.....i.e sold first come first served at a set price. They will end up being like the M1 carbine and sold at auction only.

I would love for the CMP to get them and I would love for them to be sold on a first come first served basis......In either case I will not be holding my breath.

match14
June 07, 2015, 13:46
From my memory you could indeed buy m1 carbines from the North & South Store or through mail order, but only early on.

We'll see how much they cost, they could be reasonably priced like the carbines, or they could be like the m1 garand 16" bayonets and be over priced.

inrem
June 07, 2015, 15:02
I know for a fact that you could get M1 Carbines shipped direct to your house (in any non-slave state) as recently as about 5 years or so ago. Just had to choose "Service" or "Field" and decide the mater (Inland, IBM, etc.). The last load I know of was mostly Italian returns. I think Service Grades were about $525.

All with Korean War upgrade sites and Korean War bayonet attachment points.

MajHenryWest
June 08, 2015, 08:46
It seems that whatever M-1 Carbines the CMP still has in inventory are put
on their collector's auction site now.

mace2364
July 03, 2015, 10:19
Anybody know what happened?

legion489
July 18, 2015, 15:40
Yeah, if anyone hears either way please let me know too.

Hebrew Battle Rifle
July 20, 2015, 19:53
I say melt them and move on. There are people currently in the business of manufacturing 1911s that would be financially harmed by the release of 100,000 pistols. I am all for p[reserving history up to a point. Had every battle field been preserved, we would all be living on 3 square feet of dirt. Preserve what deserves it and put the rest in the pile to be made into something else.

wanneroo
July 20, 2015, 20:36
By all accounts by the time the 1911's finished service the guns were beat to hell and rebuilt 3 times over, so they may not even be worth bothering with. I don't think it would impact the market much. CMP would have to redo these to be serviceable and that would take time, if they are even interested in doing so. So it wouldn't be like 100K pistols dumped on the market at one time.

357ross
July 20, 2015, 21:29
Just 1 EO and they're all sold for scrap and melted. If CMP gets them it'll be because they're under Zippy's radar. HBR has a point, but the the thing is this is these were built by our tax dollars and the taxpayers have a perfect right to reclaim them.