PDA

View Full Version : Gun ranges, buy or build?

jaybo785
May 12, 2015, 07:26
Hey guys, called the estate agent today and told her I'm interested in buying a gun range or buying some land to make a gun range.

I know ya'll are going to have much more experience and input than I am So I wanted to get some feed back from you.

Pro's / con's. Things to watch out for / look out for or just un-thought of until you built or bought yours.

I'm looking at private use only, I have zero desire to go commercial.

I'm wanting at least a 100 meter gun range.

Thanks for the feed back. :-)

gunplumber
May 12, 2015, 07:59
The NRA has oodles of information on this.

http://range.nra.org/

slavicshooter
May 12, 2015, 08:51
http://www.word-detective.com/2008/07/oodles/

fnogger
May 12, 2015, 09:51
If for your use only, then you shouldn't have mentioned it.... just enough acres with proper zoning.

SAFN49
May 12, 2015, 11:10
Find some land, rural, with neighbors that have gun ranges or like to shoot. I built one for private use. Had a guy come in with a dozer and build the berm, and my neighbor built one right next to it on his side of the property line. It was nice since we both had 300 yard ranges and neither complained about the noise.
I have since sold that farm and bought land in different location, off of Rangeline Road. Just about everybody has a range on their property.

Nobody complains about the normal gun fire noise, except one woman when I was shooting the 50 BMG.

GoCougs
May 12, 2015, 14:56
Ohh I won't be too far away from you soon...(manhattan)

Thorack
May 13, 2015, 05:14
Ah, joining a real unit.

Going to be a member of the BRO, eh? Know which BDE and or SQDN or Battalion? Great little town Manhattan. Has a real nice 100m range just out of town. When I was at Ft Riley the one post range sucked and took longer to get to.

Forward the BIG RED ONE!

Thorack

Bug Tussell
May 13, 2015, 14:19
Friend of mine bought 20 acres adjoining national forest lands at the foot of Escudilla. He built a concrete shooting bench right outside his reloading room door on the edge of the ridge. 200 yards to the property line and another 100 yards to a gong on forest lands.

Another friend bought less acres adjoining national forest lands but his reloading room is on the second floor of his cabin with an amply ledged window for shooting out of while testing his loads.

Man I love the country.

jaybo785
May 13, 2015, 14:41
Thanks for the info guys. :-)

def90
May 14, 2015, 09:08
yep, as long as the local laws allow shooting on your land it shouldn't be an issue as long as your range is built and oriented in a safe manner unless you have one of those neighbors..

If you are going the commercial route more and more ranges are under attack by NIMBYs that have moved into the area after the fact. Buying an existing range that has a long established history in the area will help you fight those that wish to get you closed due to noise and other factors.

croftonaviation
May 14, 2015, 14:36
1. Buy land in an area that will NEVER be zoned into a city

2. Build a range that is safe and suites your needs

3. Shoot lots, with only people you like and no scary people shooting at you while you are down range. It is also really nice to run out of ammo and only have to walk back to the house to get more.

Here is a link with some pictures of my setup. All of this has been done on the cheap, exept for the ar500 steel plates.

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=377606
Good luck,

Tom

genethepoolcleaner
May 15, 2015, 13:21
Friend of mine bought 20 acres adjoining national forest lands at the foot of Escudilla. He built a concrete shooting bench right outside his reloading room door on the edge of the ridge. 200 yards to the property line and another 100 yards to a gong on forest lands.

This would be the cat's ass for load work up..

jaybo785
May 15, 2015, 14:52
Great looking range Tom,
Thanks for the help everyone. Just waiting to hear back from the estate agent.