PDA

View Full Version : Question on AR Supresor...

K. Funk
May 04, 2015, 18:16
So I have this Gemtech HALO that I put on an AR-15. My son was complaining that the rifle was spitting a lot of gas and crap back at him. I tore the rifle down this evening and wow, I have never seen an AR get as dirty as this rifle. It was caked in carbon grime and grit after only 2-300 rds. So my question is...Does the suppressor back the gas up or cause more gas to enter the action? I have shot a thousand rounds of Wolf through an AR and not seen this much dirt.

Thanks.,

krf

4x401
May 04, 2015, 18:34
So my question is...Does the suppressor back the gas up or cause more gas to enter the action?
Thanks.,

krf

Yes, and yes. Pretty common occurrence. Shooting an AR suppressed sends a lot of crap back into the action, and usually right down the charging handle slot into your eyes..there's even a a charging handle called the "Gas Buster" designed to mitigate the problem.

notfrommt
May 04, 2015, 19:43
Also Gemtech makes a Bolt Carrier designed to keep gasses out of the upper while using a can. Not sure how it works yet.

Get used to that amount of ammo expenditure before FTF. Normal duty cycle.

ActionYobbo
May 04, 2015, 21:02
you can tell how dirty your ammo is when you stick a can on.
the best powder to run with a can is benchmark. its the cleanest burning powder for 5.56

stimpsonjcat
May 05, 2015, 15:36
Yes, and yes. Pretty common occurrence. Shooting an AR suppressed sends a lot of crap back into the action, and usually right down the charging handle slot into your eyes..there's even a a charging handle called the "Gas Buster" designed to mitigate the problem.

It's not just ARs...it's any semi-auto.

2barearms
May 06, 2015, 16:24
It's not just ARs...it's any semi-auto.

Piston AR's are definitely easier to deal with than DI types. But a lot of junk
comes thru the bore also like on my 9mm AR's.

Artful
May 06, 2015, 20:39
I notice less of an issue with my 30 caliber can on my 223 rifle, but yeah it's the nature of the beast - back pressure:wink:

Lee Carpentieri
May 06, 2015, 21:18
K.Funk, Your using Wolf in an AR-15 with a can. Worst thing you can use is wolf. That shit still uses reformulated Tank and Artillery powder which still causes an AR to cake up quicker than normal, Plus the fact that it will cause more corrosion faster than normal, Barrel, Gas tube if you have one and the can will start the corrosion process.Hopefully your using Ed's Red cleaner for the can, http://www.handloads.com/articles/default.asp?id=9

stimpsonjcat
May 06, 2015, 23:37
You need to understand that the 'junk' isn't coming through the gas system...it's coming out of your chamber.

The gas system works like it usually does...the problem is that the can delays the release of pressure and so when the brass is being removed from the chamber there is more back-pressure than there would normally be.

Mad Dog 7.62
May 07, 2015, 00:07
Nice point Stimpy! If you want to verify this, just look at your brass! Try a mixture of half mineral spirits and half automatic transmission fluid if you need to clean your can. Soak it in it for 24 hours then blow it dry with an air nozzle.

W.E.G.
May 07, 2015, 06:03
Gas blowback completely turned me off on suppressors on semi-auto center fire rifles.

Scott S
May 08, 2015, 16:11
I run four direct impingement ARs and notice no gas blow back with any of them--a 6.5 Creedmoor with a 24" tube, an 18.5" 5.56, a 9" Blackout, and a 7" 7.62 Tokarev. They all run dirty when I have the can attached, but I don't have any issues with blowback to the face. I use a mix of BCM Gunfighter charging handles and regular charging handles.