PDA

View Full Version : Cetme Bolt Carrier Arm

chas442
April 30, 2015, 19:39
I have a CETME that had the bolt carrier arm ground down. I welded material on the muzzle end where it had been ground down. Gun Plumber rightfully chastised me for modifying it till he found out someone before me did the butchering.
The rifle runs like a champ now. Now that it is working the way it was intended I would like to get back to its original condition if possible.
My question is there anyone that has any experience removing a bolt carrier arm and installing a new one. Apex parts has an NOS part that I would like to install if the project is doable.
Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

21HK
April 30, 2015, 22:16
Anything can be done, the question is at what price.
The cost of ordering a $6 part plus shipping then paying again to ship your parts to someone to do the work will cost more than the $45 for a complete bolt carrier?

chas442
April 30, 2015, 22:53
21HK
Thanks for your input. That is the easy way and probably the way that I may go. I still would like to know what is involved in replacing the carrier arm.

21HK
May 01, 2015, 01:29
If you look at your carrier the top tube is welded to the base of bolt carrier on both sides. The welds would have to be cut out removing the tube from the base and the base cleaned up.
The new tube would need to be set up and clamped so it's straight then TIG welded.
I can't tell but it appears the NOS tube has the hole for the locking lever already drilled, if not this would need to be done (arrow) ....also consider that the assembly will need refinished.

$45 seems pretty cheap at this point, plus the ones being offered at APEX are NOS.

http://i62.tinypic.com/2buzr6.jpg

chas442
May 01, 2015, 09:57
21HK

Thanks. More work than its worth. Buying one seems the way to go.