PDA

View Full Version : 870 Recall ?

K5OIT
April 24, 2015, 10:42
Anybody know what the recall for 870's was in the 1970's or 1980's ?
Is it something really dangerous and what was the fix?
Thanks.

SAFN49
April 24, 2015, 11:03
Don't put 20ga shell in a 12 ga, then put a 12ga shell in and pull the trigger. Shotgun goes BOOM!

Pluribus
April 24, 2015, 13:31
Don't put 20ga shell in a 12 ga, then put a 12ga shell in and pull the trigger. Shotgun goes BOOM!

What was your motivation for that? Just being an idle, juvenile smartass? It certainly isn't helpful.

Anybody know what the recall for 870's was in the 1970's or 1980's ?
Is it something really dangerous and what was the fix?
Thanks.

It was a large lot of defective shell latches where the staking was insufficient. The shell latch(es) would dismount during cycling and, short stroke at best but, mostly allowing the shell to slip completely under the shell lifter and, bolt/bolt carrier locking everything up plus, the shell latch fell out of place in the receiver which also contributed to locking up the action. Not easily fixed in the field at all.

The fix was to re-stake the shell latch into the receiver on both sides.

IIRC

SAFN49
April 24, 2015, 14:12
What was your motivation for that? Just being an idle, juvenile smartass? It certainly isn't helpful.

It was a large lot of defective shell latches where the staking was insufficient. The shell latch(es) would dismount during cycling and, short stroke at best but, mostly allowing the shell to slip completely under the shell lifter and, bolt/bolt carrier locking everything up plus, the shell latch fell out of place in the receiver which also contributed to locking up the action. Not easily fixed in the field at all.

IIRC

The Remington 870 lawsuit during that time period. IIRC. There wasn't a problem with the guns, it was the operators.

chet
April 25, 2015, 13:10

IIRC

Were these guns marked after being re-staked?

Pluribus
April 25, 2015, 15:15
Were these guns marked after being re-staked?

I don't know. It was a LE dept in the mid west somewhere that initially reported the problem in a number of their 870s bought in one lot. I had gotten a 20ga in 1971 that was in the suspected serial number range that wasn't a problem.

I've not heard of the circumstance SAFN49 described though, it does seem possible.

tac-40
April 26, 2015, 09:33
They also modified the lifter in that same time frame to allow cycling the action with a shell stuck under the lifter when the shell latch failed to stop the next shell in the mag tube. The modified lifters have a cut out and tab in the middle of the lifter, the un-modified is solid.

SAFN49
April 26, 2015, 11:01
Ok. Here it is.

From left to right 1187 with un-staked shell latch, 1148, 870 w/new style lifter, 870 w/new style lifter, 870 w/new style lifter, 870 old school single stake shell latch and original style lifter.
The 1187 with the un-staked shell latch works fine. The shell latch is only staked to make it easier to put back together. It is held in place by the trigger group and the trigger group front pin.

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s30/djm540idjm540i/Rems_zpsj1xhhrih.jpg (http://s148.photobucket.com/user/djm540idjm540i/media/Rems_zpsj1xhhrih.jpg.html)

Original 870 Single stake shell latch toward the rear of latch by arrow. Newer Remingtons have multiple stakes

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s30/djm540idjm540i/870%20old_zpseigs3ogn.jpg (http://s148.photobucket.com/user/djm540idjm540i/media/870%20old_zpseigs3ogn.jpg.html)

tac-40
April 26, 2015, 11:48
SAFN, you can also see the modified lifter in the middle three 870's. That tab allows the lifter to flex and allow you to chamber the round that is stuck under the lifter.

SAFN49
April 26, 2015, 12:10
SAFN, you can also see the modified lifter in the middle three 870's. That tab allows the lifter to flex and allow you to chamber the round that is stuck under the lifter.

Yep, that's why I labeled them as w/new style lifter. I think the feed problems had more to do with short stroking (operator) and the shell lifter design than a shell latch coming un-staked.

I did get a check from the Remington 870 lawsuit settlement from to a 870 I bought new back in early 1980's. I shredded the check. It wasn't an issue with the firearms, but rather with the operators.

G3isMe
April 26, 2015, 13:37

It was a large lot of defective shell latches where the staking was insufficient. The shell latch(es) would dismount during cycling and, short stroke at best but, mostly allowing the shell to slip completely under the shell lifter and, bolt/bolt carrier locking everything up plus, the shell latch fell out of place in the receiver which also contributed to locking up the action. Not easily fixed in the field at all...............
IIRC

LMAO...yeah, either take the trigger group out or the barrel nut and plug. Had that happen once while duck hunting, short stroked the shell while reloading and it slid under the shell lifter. So I took the nut off, pried the the little insert out of the tube, and before I knew it the spring twanged out and launched probably 50 feet into the air..:facepalm:.... as I was bemoaning my stupidity we watched it arch into the sky, all the while realizing I was now delegated to a single shot for the rest of the day...........:cry:.... In what can only be thought of as unbelievable stroke of shear luck, the spring began it's descent and landed perfectly sleeved onto the tip of a cattail. I couldn't believe it....it was a one in a million perfect landing.....hahaa, so yes, it is not an easy fix in the field......:biggrin:

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view7/4336360/christmas-story-oh-fudge-o.gif

Snakeshot
April 26, 2015, 17:49
Interesting.
I have two 870s that I bought from a member here 12 years ago, both are veterans of the NC corrections system from the 70s. One has the mod, the other does not. Both function flawlessly, may need to look at the one.

K5OIT
April 26, 2015, 19:53
I thank all of you for the replies. I have been trying to find out from numerous people and kept hitting a blank wall. The question has been very well answered and with the photos I will now be able to get my poor old shotgun looked at and repaired if need be. I had heard about the recall but was living overseas when it occurred and work took priority so I had forgotten about it until someone recently jogged my memory.
My best to all who replied!

chet
April 28, 2015, 19:11
LMAO...yeah, either take the trigger group out or the barrel nut and plug. Had that happen once while duck hunting, short stroked the shell while reloading and it slid under the shell lifter. So I took the nut off, pried the the little insert out of the tube, and before I knew it the spring twanged out and launched probably 50 feet into the air..:facepalm:.... as I was bemoaning my stupidity we watched it arch into the sky, all the while realizing I was now delegated to a single shot for the rest of the day...........:cry:.... In what can only be thought of as unbelievable stroke of shear luck, the spring began it's descent and landed perfectly sleeved onto the tip of a cattail. I couldn't believe it....it was a one in a million perfect landing.....hahaa, so yes, it is not an easy fix in the field......:biggrin:

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view7/4336360/christmas-story-oh-fudge-o.gif

That's awesome. I had a perplexed friend hand me their shotgun at a shoot asking "This gun came factory with a tube extension and I still can't load more than 5 rounds. Can you take a look?" I should have declined as I had my mind on the event itself. I checked the chamber and tube, removed the nut and BARELY touched the little retainer insert over the spring. TWAAAANNG. The spring retainer and the plug promptly entered a shallow orbit around the earth. As I was standing there with my hand out asking "Why Lord?" the spring landed in it. So, without skipping a beat, I slipped it back down the tube, screwed the nut down and loudly exclaimed "Try it now!". :D