PDA

View Full Version : G3clone question

Eyeguy
April 23, 2015, 20:47
Hoping for some feedback from the knowledgeable here. Bought my first G3 clone from PTR in late 2014. First 60 rounds fed and fired flawlessly with groups tightening as the barrel started to break in. On my second trip to the range I started to experience FTF and FTE issues. When the rifle would eject, spent casings would drop on the table just out of the receiver; not ejecting the 20-30 feet at 2 o'clock I saw in the first firing. Returned the rifle to PTR after speaking to customer service and receiving that recommendation. Just received email that the rifle has been "repaired" and is on it's way back to me. Their explanation of the problem was that it had "something to do with the way the ejector was riding in the slot on the bottom of the bolt head". They replaced the FCG and "it then functioned as it should". I'm certainly no expert but having trouble understanding how replacement of the FCG would resolve the problem. Sound right? Has anyone here experienced a similar problem. Appreciate any feedback.

Blackwing
April 23, 2015, 21:03
The ejector lever is located in the FCG box and rides in the slot in the bottom of the bolthead as the carrier slides rearward. If it is not the correct height or does not ride the slot correctly you will have FTE issues. ALSO, there may be a weak spring in the bolt head on the extractor.

Eyeguy
April 24, 2015, 00:27
Thanks for the feedback Blackwing. I've read a good bit about the reliability of the G3 so was surprised to see the issue after so few rounds fired. Hoping it was simply a defect in this FCG and not indicitive of the quality of the PTR build.

gunplumber
April 24, 2015, 09:17
Examine it. A modified ejector is not an acceptable repair. The repair is in the shelf height on the receiver, which is more difficult to do. This controls the height of the entire trigger mechanism, which includes the ejector.

That being said, I am suspicious of the answer. It sounds like a chamber problem. Ejector either hits or misses. It doesn't control the vigor of the ejection.

Often cause by Cavim or other excessively dirty ammo, or some steel cased ammo with poor lacquer. Also caused by (AW prefix?) guns with the defective TC barrels with incomplete fluting. This was several years ago, so it is doubtful a recent gun would still have those defective barrels.

Super B
April 29, 2015, 02:42
I have a PTR that loves aluminum mags, but chokes on steel mags. Weird. Make sure you try both kinds.

Eyeguy
April 29, 2015, 08:51
Examine it. A modified ejector is not an acceptable repair. The repair is in the shelf height on the receiver, which is more difficult to do. This controls the height of the entire trigger mechanism, which includes the ejector.

That being said, I am suspicious of the answer. It sounds like a chamber problem. Ejector either hits or misses. It doesn't control the vigor of the ejection.

Often cause by Cavim or other excessively dirty ammo, or some steel cased ammo with poor lacquer. Also caused by (AW prefix?) guns with the defective TC barrels with incomplete fluting. This was several years ago, so it is doubtful a recent gun would still have those defective barrels.

Thanks for your response Gunplumber.

Traveling today but will check the S/N as the AW prefix seems familiar. This rifle was supposedly built in Dec 2014 as it was a "new" model that was released in Jan 2015. Was the defective barrel an issue PTR acknowledged? If it is a chamber problem as you suspect would you have expected the problem to exist out of the box? I started to experience FTE issues after approximately 60 rounds that fed and fired correctly.

I had fired only brass cased factory ammo only; PPU white box primarily.

Eyeguy
April 29, 2015, 08:53
I have a PTR that loves aluminum mags, but chokes on steel mags. Weird. Make sure you try both kinds.

New aluminum mags only; all NOS surplus.

Thanks Super B

Alpha-17
April 29, 2015, 08:56
This is odd, as I purchased in late '13, and it had the complete fluting, and has functioned flawlessly out of the box since. Most of the reports of PTR's customer service has also been good, from what I've heard.

gunplumber
April 29, 2015, 09:34
Now, the bad barrels were several years ago. And PTR said "f-ck you" to the customers with the defective barrels.

Eyeguy
April 29, 2015, 11:52
Customer service has been responsive so far; actually returned the rifle in half the time originally stated.

Gunplumber.... Can I assume any rifle with a S/N prefix of AW has a bad barrel?

Thanks

gunplumber
April 29, 2015, 12:06
Can I assume any rifle with a S/N prefix of AW has a bad barrel?

No - I don't know what rifles had the Thompson barrels. That's why I said "AW Prefix?" - with a question mark. Contrary to popular belief, I don't know everything about every gun, it's just in the back of my mind that AW may have been relevant. Whether it was all AWs, or just some - it was the Thompson barrels.

A = JLD's PTR-91 factory builds, B were sold as a PTR-91 virgin receiver. When they filed bankruptcy and f-cked over those who'd sold them parts on credit, some of whom are friends of mine, the same people reopened as PTR-91.com. I don't know what the other serial numbers prefixes mean, other than "GI"

Eyeguy
April 29, 2015, 12:09
Thanks again GP.

I'll get to the range soon. If it fails me again you may get to take a look at it first hand.

Appreciate you sharing.