PDA

View Full Version : 22AP

denny
April 15, 2015, 01:28
Anybody got a connection to the 22 AP depleted uranium ?
Denny

Tuscan Raider
April 15, 2015, 14:01
What is 22ap?

Texgunner
April 15, 2015, 14:08
What is 22ap?

.22 caliber armor piercing?

SAFN49
April 15, 2015, 14:46
I'll whip up another batch as soon as my Uranium 238 depletes itself.

SAFN49
April 15, 2015, 15:09
You could just buy some non depleted Uranium and make them yourself.

http://www.amazon.com/Images-SI-Uranium-Ore/dp/B000796XXM

You have to read the comments!!! :D

MK ULTRA
April 15, 2015, 15:48
Yeah it's called .22 Green tip.

.223 Green tip

Tuscan Raider
April 15, 2015, 20:41
.22 caliber armor piercing?

I figured that. I also figured everyone knows you can't have it.

M995 is non exisistent in the civilian world unless you stole some.

And DU is more non exisistent. It's tungsten in 556 AP.

hueyville
April 20, 2015, 22:56
Been an ammo collector for a long time and never seen a DU round in 5.56. Not to say it hasn't been made but believe the M955 has a tungsten core. In addition to green tip and now the brown tip that will be slowly replacing green tip the top dog 5.56 NATO armor piercing ammunition is tungsten core and is as impressive as gets with poodle gun ammo unless your set up for bullet swaging and have access to exotic materials.

The smallest cartridge have seen that is true DU has been 7.62x51. Funny the way rules are regarding AP, including DU. It is illegal for any FFL holder to possess unless a Class 10 FFL. For non FFL holders AP is legal to possess but not buy or sell unless on BATF exempt list such as m855 green tip, 30-06 black tip and a couple of others. So if someone comes by a 30 caliber DU round that they did not buy, never plan to sell, and is not part of a stolen lot then you can own it.

The crux of that is how do you obtain it without buying or stealing? Yes, it's gifted to some defense contractor for testing purposes or some other similar circumstance. Many specialty companies build items for the government that need more than average testing. Imagine what all abuse is thrown at the materials used in the Presidential Limousine... My guess is they have access to all kinds of goodies. The only DU 30 caliber ammo I have seen in person was gifted to the private corporation SWAT team that guarded a facility that made components for nuclear bombs, scientific equipment and satellites. This was one high speed, low drag group of individuals that were dang good at their job. I know of one company that has a moderate quantity for testing items they make for the State Department.

Most DU is used in larger calibers. While it is seen in 50 BMG and 20mm it really shines in 30mm. When an A 10 Warthog rolls in and dumps a load of DU out of its snout it's a 4th of July party where the fireworks go down, not up. Due to cost, storage issues, safety of persons handling it and the spew of it over a target areas long term effects, it is not used generously but it does see action. A lot of sabot tank/anti-tank ammo has DU payload. Owning anything larger than 50 BMG has its own special set of rules.

Have collected lots of really oddball ammo in my day of which some are single rounds and some a few more. On an occasion or two been in the right place at right time with right person and like Barney Fife issued my one bullet. Truthfully in 5.56 or 7.62 no matter what you put in it the size of projectile and velocity limitations don't lend themselves to significant armor piercing rounds. Overkill for getting through personell body armor and not enough punch to bust a modern armored vehicle. For most part if a Raufoss 50 caliber round won't bust it someone has to go get a gun on wheels, tracks or mounted to air plane.

Over the years the military has made a lot of odd ammo for testing, some even made it into the field. Often some of this more obscure ammunition is still kept handy as a force multiplier for small groups of men that don't have benefit of air cover or artillery and may find themselves in a bind. Then usually one will have a 50 with Raufoss as its very effective and does not poison the troops or the battle field. Remember once we take it, technically supposed to hold it though not current trend and more poison scattered into fine particulates, the more likely you are to poison your own troops. Bottom line is without technology from the alien ships at Area 51, it's dang hard to turn an M4/AR15 into a tank buster or even a modern armored Hummer Buster.

If you have any buddies in the Marine Corp, your best bet is for one of them to give you a magazine load or two of m855a1 brown tip and hope it's not on a list reported as missing U.S. government property. I would never get so caught up to buy any type ammo over the Internet though lots of exotics are advertised, especially from European countries. Problem is 99% of it is fake and if happens to be real, you just made an illegal purchase in the clear with your credit card that violates a zillion import and other restrictions.

If really interested, buy a bullet staging press with forming dies in 223 and 308 then find a machine shop that will part with broken end mills as some are made of really tough materials but then your manufacturing. Quite the Catch 22 quandary. I suggest just buying some off the shelf Barnes Copper Solids and learn how to drive them as fast as possible. A 22 caliber copper solid loaded into a 300 Win Mag using a sabot is a crazy deal once you work through getting it to fly straight with the correct rate of spin to stabilize till meets your target. Makes for an interesting year or two of reloading with component combinations will not find in any manuals.

Tuscan Raider
April 21, 2015, 01:40
Huey, 855a1 is also considered ap. We won't see that either.

splattermatic
April 25, 2015, 21:25
My Barnes solid's, are lathe turned, what looks like brass, not copper.

hueyville
April 27, 2015, 02:26
Pulled about a dozen different Barnes boxes from inventory all said copper. Just went to Barnes site and every solid I clicked on link said made of copper but only checked four or five. One company a few years ago began copying some of Barnes designs in brass and BATF shut them down and confiscated inventory. That said, many of my ultra nasty home brew swaged bullets use brass cases for jackets. Your old worn out 223/5.56 cases make excellent bullet jackets. Recently made some pistol bullets using 40 smith cases to draw my jackets. Know brass works. BATF does name Beryllium Copper alloys as a no-no for bullets. I use a lot of Beryllium Copper alloy tools as OSHA required when working in explosive environments. Strong enough to make tools but don't cause sparks when bump into each other or steel. All my wrenches on reloading tables are Beryllium alloy just to reduce one more source of ignition.

splattermatic
April 27, 2015, 07:41
Haven't looked at, nor bought any new solids in awhile,(since some Barnes solids are BANNED), but all the ones I have look just like these. Not going to dig for more, but these are 90 gr., .257 caliber solids.
Lathe turned, and ain't copper.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v631/splattermatic/20150427_063225_zpsbkr5vudm.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/splattermatic/media/20150427_063225_zpsbkr5vudm.jpg.html)

catmguy445
April 27, 2015, 23:20
Anybody got a connection to the 22 AP depleted uranium ?
Denny

Oh, heck, let's go for broke. How about some .22LR APIT (armor piercing incendiary tracer) ammo?

hueyville
April 30, 2015, 07:05
Haven't looked at, nor bought any new solids in awhile,(since some Barnes solids are BANNED), but all the ones I have look just like these. Not going to dig for more, but these are 90 gr., .257 caliber solids.
Lathe turned, and ain't copper.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v631/splattermatic/20150427_063225_zpsbkr5vudm.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/splattermatic/media/20150427_063225_zpsbkr5vudm.jpg.html)

While pondering the dilemma during a 1985 Alaska brown bear hunt, Brooks hit on a new thought:*Why not get rid of the core altogether?

That was the easy part, relatively speaking, since Brooks simply started with common 3/8" solid copper rod, and then set to creating a drill bit that would create a conical nose cavity. After drilling the nose, he closed it up to form a point, leaving a narrow cavity extending in from the tip. Brooks then shot a few of his experimental .375-cal. bullets into water and, encouraged by the way they expanded, he decided Barnes was going to produce an all-copper bullet.

In fact, the trust in copper was part of the firmís DNA going back to the Barnes Original. Rather than relying on the customary gilding metal alloy (95 percent copper/5 percent zinc), Fred Barnes had chosen to jacket his bullets in pure copper on the belief it made them less likely to fragment, thereby enhancing penetration.*

Entire Article:
[QUOTE]http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2014/10/20/barnes-x-bullet-25-years-of-premium-performance/[/URL]

splattermatic
April 30, 2015, 13:12
I wasn't going to dig in the back for more of those solids, but there is a box of 220gr, .30 cal's back there, and a box of 338's. Somewhere I have 2 boxes of .22 cal, 55gr.
I've been shooting Barnes bullets for a long time. The 90gr orange box , are original soft points, below it, are x bullets, and I used to shoot xlc blue coated in a 338 win mag.
Looks like a 1997 date on the .25 cal box.
As by what shows in the pic, I shoot lots of Barnes bullets. They're my favorite bullet for killin stuff.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v631/splattermatic/Mobile%20Uploads/20150430_115748_zps3nvwyk6w.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/splattermatic/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150430_115748_zps3nvwyk6w.jpg.html)