PDA

View Full Version : New (to me) Ruger Single Six

catmguy445
April 13, 2015, 12:11
I went to a gun show yesterday, and after wandering up and down the aisles, seeing hundreds of guns all priced at least $200 over what they were actually worth or currently selling for in gun stores, I stopped by the table run by the shop I use for my FFL transfers. They generally have some honest-to-goodness rare guns, and this time was no exception. How about a Remington Mdl. 121 smoothbore pump .22, or a High Standard auto with a 10" barrel, or several first generation Colt SAA's? But I digress.

On one of their tables that had mostly revolvers, there was a blue Ruger Single Six .22 with a 6 1/2" barrel. It looked to be in very nice shape, and was priced at $349, which was significantly lower than most of the other guns on the table. Looking it over, the only negatives I could find were a couple of gouges on the right hand grip panel, and someone at some point had scratched a number on the bottom of the grip frame. Other than that, it looked to be in about 90-95% condition.

I had admired the Ruger Single Six .22's for years, but had never gotten around to actually buying one. The price on this one seemed reasonable (in today's market, anyway), and the gun called to me. But I wasn't quite ready to take it home without thinking about it a little more. So I went and shot the breeze for a little while with some friends I'd seen while prowling the show, who all said that I should buy the gun, and somehow wound up checking out the Single Six again. At this point, I thought "Oh, heck, make them an offer and see what happens".

So I walked over to Matt (the store owner) and asked him if he'd take $300 for the gun. We dickered for a couple minutes, and settled on $335 as a sale price. So the Single Six came home with me. Along with a Mason jar of Gooesberry jam. The jam doesn't have anything to do with the Ruger, but it was the first time in years that I'd seen any homemade Gooseberry jam for sale anywhere. Everything considered, it turned out to be worth going to the show.

After I got the Single Six home, I took the zip tie off of it, then took it apart. There was a very small amount of surface rust on the hammer, which cleaned up with no problem, and the gun hadn't been cleaned in a long time, so I cleaned and oiled it. I also checked the serial number on Ruger's website, and the gun was made in 1986. So the only thing left now is to take it to the range this week, and see how it shoots.

It also completes my Ruger Single action collection. I now have the Single Six in .22LR, a Blackhawk convertible in .357/9mm, and another Blackhawk convertible in .45 Colt/.45 ACP. All in all, it was a very good weekend.

John A
April 13, 2015, 12:48
Congratulations.

It's always good when you can complete your collection/set.

I only have 2 single actions, and to be honest, neither are Ruger brand, but my Dad had a single six 22 that he could shoot little limbs out of trees with. I've seen him do it.

MAINER
April 13, 2015, 16:20
I'm kind of fond of them Ruger SS's too. Mine are all pre 73 "three screw" models. The last one had the conversion by Ruger to make it safe for the kiddies, but I "un-converted" so it works the same as my other pre-73 Rugers.
I won't be doing that again as the pre 73 parts are about gone and very pricey.

I don't know of a thing wrong with the newer models, it's just a personal preference and what I'm used to. I have to carry mine with "five beans in the wheel", in case I get fumble-fingered and drop the thing, but you're good to go on all six.

Did you get a spare .22 mag cylinder with your SS? They used to come standard with the Super SS, but I think Ruger had the option of with or without at some time.

You can likely eliminate that scratch by sanding it off and polishing the area. It used to be a popular modification to remove the anodizing from the backstrap, gripframe , and ejector rod housing and buff them up nice and shiny.
I did one like that, but my current SS's still wear the original finish. One of them is well worn and may get the finish polished off sometime.

I think you will like your Ruger SS. They are very tough and very accurate. At least mine were before the hair grew up around that front sight. :facepalm:

Retired Bum
April 13, 2015, 16:27
I bought my first Ruger Single Six .22 when I was fourteen years old. It was what is now referred to as a "three screw" or "old model". Had the 5.5 inch barrel and a polished aluminum grip frame with black plastic grips. Paid the princely sum of $65 for it which was about the same price one would have paid for a new S&W .38 Special M&P back then. My father actually bought the Single Six due to my age but with my money.

This was my first handgun and I learned to shoot a revolver with it. Put thousands of rounds of .22lr through it. Then I graduated high school and went off to the Army. I came back from Vietnam in 1967 and learned that dear old dad had sold the Single Six to a neighbor for a few dollars. Oh well....

Since then I have owned several Single Sixes. All of the others were new models with the transfer bar safety. They came and went over the years. What I have now is a stainless convertible with the .22lr and .22 Mag cylinders with the 5.5 inch barrel. Somewhat heavier than Single Six # 1 but a great shooter.

I believe I have owned most of the Ruger single actions produced. The Single Six, the Single Six Magnum (.32 H&R), Bisley Single Sixes in .22 and .32, Blackhawks both old and new models in .30 Carbine, .32-20/.32 H&R, .357/9mm, .38-40/10mm, .41 Mag, .44 Mag, and .45 Colt. Two Super Blackhawks and a .45 Vaquero. And I almost forgot, one of the original alloy frame .22lr Bearcats. The only Ruger single action that I didn't like was the NM .30 Carbine Blackhawk. Mediocre accuracy, even from my Ransom Rest. The .30 Carbine round is just too much cartridge for a 7.5 inch barrel IMHO.

And so it goes.

The Retired One

Snakeshot
April 13, 2015, 18:40
Congratulations!

The Ruger Single Six is a very cool revolver. And they certainly hold value very well.
I have a 1976 Bicentennial convertible (.22LR and .22WMR) and a 1968 dedicated .22WMR. I love 'em both!

Tuhlmann
April 15, 2015, 11:44
You're not done with your Ruger single action collection. You need Bisley models in each flavor now. Better git busy....

catmguy445
April 30, 2015, 15:42
Update:

I got a call from Rae Lynn at Ruger Customer Service this morning. She said that the bill would be $145 to upgrade the Single Six to a convertible and would take about a week. I told her to go ahead and gave her my credit card number.

They aren't just fitting a new .22 Mag cylinder. They're replacing the .22LR cylinder with a new one, and fitting a new .22 Mag cylinder as well. Apparently the frame has to be modified for the .22 Mag cylinder to fit, and then a .22LR cylinder has to be machined to match the .22 Mag one. So I'm getting what amounts to a factory rebuilt gun for my $145. I don't think that's a bad deal at all.

W.E.G.
April 30, 2015, 15:58
I wonder if they'll re-fit my Single-Six for .327 Federal?

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/pistol%20pics/Ruger%20Vaquero%20Single%20Six/DSCN6606leftside-smaller.jpg

SAFN49
April 30, 2015, 22:04
I've got

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s30/djm540idjm540i/BS%20ruger%20guide_zpsktpxy4oi.jpg (http://s148.photobucket.com/user/djm540idjm540i/media/BS%20ruger%20guide_zpsktpxy4oi.jpg.html)

$15 shipped to a collector that needs it..

Jaxxas
May 01, 2015, 00:10
Update:

I got a call from Rae Lynn at Ruger Customer Service this morning. She said that the bill would be $145 to upgrade the Single Six to a convertible and would take about a week. I told her to go ahead and gave her my credit card number.

They aren't just fitting a new .22 Mag cylinder. They're replacing the .22LR cylinder with a new one, and fitting a new .22 Mag cylinder as well. Apparently the frame has to be modified for the .22 Mag cylinder to fit, and then a .22LR cylinder has to be machined to match the .22 Mag one. So I'm getting what amounts to a factory rebuilt gun for my $145. I don't think that's a bad deal at all.

http://i587.photobucket.com/albums/ss317/The_JaXXas/IMG_0347_zpscd59ea35.jpg (http://s587.photobucket.com/user/The_JaXXas/media/IMG_0347_zpscd59ea35.jpg.html)

I think it is a helluva deal at today's prices! IIRC that is pretty much what I paid for mine new in 1976 or there abouts!

MAINER
May 01, 2015, 08:42
I've got

$15 shipped to a collector that needs it..

I'll take your book if nobody has laid claim to it yet.