PDA

View Full Version : Dr trumpet's NV gear

one hand clapping
April 13, 2015, 06:55
I recently purchased a pv14 from our member drtrumpet. I was able to get out last night to test ,and am well pleased.
Very clear image for the gen 3 unit.
I would trust his work . paid less than 50% cost of a new one ,for a rehabbed unit.
I saw some question about how well these would work ,and questioning the sellers skill at replacing tubes. I just wanted to report my experience-
If I needed another , I would purchase from him again.

Bug Tussell
April 13, 2015, 09:29
Ditto. :bow:

2barearms
April 13, 2015, 11:42
To say I'm happy that someone is taking the initiative to learn to repair
NV is an understatement and I've done what I can to help support his effort.
You can count on one hand all the folks that can repair a PVS14 tube.

Good work Doc!

2ba

Drtrumpet
April 13, 2015, 18:04
You all are very kind. OHC I am very happy to hear your unit functions to your satisfaction, hopefully it provides many years of reliable service.

It has been a rather interesting journey learning about how these things tick. Now if only I could find a steady supply of tube internal parts!

NFADLR
April 13, 2015, 18:13
OHC or DocTrumpet Pics, Prices ?

OHC what platform are you using the pvs14 on and magnification or not if yes what make model and power ?

Ru using IR laser as well ?
Also make and model if you dont mind?

Saw a few ITT units at a large gun show recently came close to buying but hesitant as im not that well versed with most nv and its a lot of coin to drop when dont know much about it.

Would love to read up on the 14 as well as the 4 to spot what the dogs are barking at..at 4am.

Drtrumpet
April 13, 2015, 18:30

OHC what platform are you using the pvs14 on and magnification or not if yes what make model and power ?

Saw a few ITT units at a large gun show recently came close to buying but hesitant as im not that well versed with most nv and its a lot of coin to drop when dont know much about it.

Would love to read up on the 14 as well as the 4 to spot what the dogs are barking at..at 4am.

The most expensive part of a gen3 device is the image intensifier tube. A factory built brand new with warranty tube, by itself, can run anywhere from $2000-$3000 (and more!) just for the tube!

On tubes I have repotted (rebuilt) myself I offer them in the $1500 range installed in a new milspec pvs14 housing. My processes mimic as closely the factory processes as I am able to determine, using lab grade equipment and materials. The actual factory process is not public information, I have a general idea but most of what I learned came from second hand sources and some of my own deduction.

I also have used factory built tubes that would run $1500-$1750 depending on the quality of the field of view. These are also installed in a new milspec pvs14 housing.

The big difference between new and used is the warranty. You pay anywhere between $1000-$1500 just for the added peace of mind a warranty provides. The large retailers will attempt to steer you away from used scopes because it might die on you, and then you are out a bunch of money. What they fail to tell you is that the housing by itself is still worth $700ish and the dead tube is actually worth $100-$300 depending on its symptoms. So a used unit is a $400-$700 gamble when you boil it all down.

I am willing to offer 90 days on my rebuilds, which would not cover recoil damage or if you burn the fov by leaving it on in daylight or hit it with a laser. Basically, if it goes dark I'll fix it if it happens within 90 days.

If I can help further please don't hesitate to message me. I am willing to help my falfiles friends navigate this bizarre field as much as possible, night vision is the most secretive and confusing market I have ever encountered, filled with tons of misinformation and disinformation (from large retailers even!) 2ba is also very knowledgeable and a great resource.

one hand clapping
April 18, 2015, 12:27

I use a helmet mount or hand held for scouting. IR laser on the para , eotech 552 on my SLR that is NV ready. Having the NV on yer head keeps it from the shock of the weapon.
I do have a dedicated gen 2 Ziess on a HB for job speciffic use. Its huge , but built to withstand the recoil. No magnification for the pvs14 YET.

IF ya want gen 3 NV , I recomend Dr Trumpet's work. $1500.00 well spent. VS the $32-35 hundred for a new one.

remember-
when the opfor comes to town- THEY will have all sorts of realitively new issued goodies. You just need enough NV gear to enable ya to "requesition " some of THEIR gear.
Like the new IR / NV scopes and goggles.
Those items can easily be found in their rear-with the cooks and remf's, if ya know where to look.
If not, find a squemish one, and I'm sure ya can figure out how to get em to tell ya where supply is---

NFADLR
April 18, 2015, 13:59
Sounds good to me...Better than spending 3500 for a PVS14 at the reno gun show..

Will be doing this soon Just bought a NTM dually truck so it will be a month or so for cash reserves to fill the well again..

BTW/ EM me I have a very good idea that will blow your mind on keeping things out of sight until they are needed and unfindable. Im tooling up to build one for myself as well.
Ive been searching for this design on the web and Ive not seen hide nor hare of it out there.

BTW where did you source your IR laser and what wattage is the IR and other beam ?

Opfor almost sounds like a HenWay..
Most of mine are Americanas.

Im also looking for a good gen2 pvs4 as a scouting nv scope..
I hear the pvs4 handles the 30 cal recoil much better than the pvs14 any thought on this?
I know its a little bulkier and heavier than the pvs14 but if it will handle the recoil of my HK or FN it may be a good choice?

I use a helmet mount or hand held for scouting. IR laser on the para , eotech 552 on my SLR that is NV ready. Having the NV on yer head keeps it from the shock of the weapon.
I do have a dedicated gen 2 Ziess on a HB for job speciffic use. Its huge , but built to withstand the recoil. No magnification for the pvs14 YET.

IF ya want gen 3 NV , I recomend Dr Trumpet's work. $1500.00 well spent. VS the $32-35 hundred for a new one.

remember-
when the opfor comes to town- THEY will have all sorts of realitively new issued goodies. You just need enough NV gear to enable ya to "requesition " some of THEIR gear.
Like the new IR / NV scopes and goggles.
Those items can easily be found in their rear-with the cooks and remf's, if ya know where to look.
If not, find a squemish one, and I'm sure ya can figure out how to get em to tell ya where supply is---

one hand clapping
April 19, 2015, 08:02
opfor = opposing force

5mw IR laser is all you need .
Yes, a pv4 is the way to go if you are wanting a weapon mounted.