PDA

View Full Version : Looking for opinions on SCAR 17

jaybo785
April 02, 2015, 18:06
Hi guys, I'm looking for a few personal thoughts and reviews on the Scar 17.
I know the cost is high for this rifle and just wanted to see how many of you think it's worth the money, and if there are any known major issues with this rifle.
Thank you all for your feed back. :-)

mpnv
April 02, 2015, 18:08
If you have the money...GET IT! The rifle is outstanding!

brunop
April 02, 2015, 18:50
Gunplumber sold his FALs to buy multiple SCAR 17s. So there's an opinion.

mpnv
April 02, 2015, 19:39
It's like the Fountain of Youth! :biggrin:

Before:

After:

FALonious
April 03, 2015, 15:10
His review
http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com/notes/notes-fal/scar-review/page-scar.shtml

More here
http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=307017

Grinder
April 03, 2015, 16:53
I own and shoot all the main 7.62x51 rifles
It is the best combination of accuracy, weight, ergonomics, optics mounting, and recoil out there in this caliber.
If it ever comes down to limited choices, I'd take the SCAR17 over 2 of anything
else

4x401
April 03, 2015, 20:36
I know a couple farmers that own them...But they make more $$$ than I do..:p

Brush511
April 04, 2015, 11:43

Up until the more "$$$" comment I was afraid you were talking about me.

I do really like my SCAR but for that price it should have had a decent trigger and an aluminum stock latch. I need to bench it with some good ammo to see just how accurate it is. It's ugly, loud (may have to change the muzzle device), it's plastic but it's a shooter. Accurate, reliable, and ergonomic. Oh, did I mention it's LOUD?

Tailback
April 04, 2015, 12:43
One of them said he'd sell me his. Or something...

:whistling:

Brush511
April 04, 2015, 22:47
One of them said he'd sell me his. Or something...

:whistling:

I didn't even know you had met my friend/neighbor Mike. :devil::devil::devil:

12v71
April 04, 2015, 23:18
I didn't even know you had met my friend/neighbor Mike. :devil::devil::devil:

You ever notice, You cannot get me to shoot yours? that's because I'm scared to death I will have to own one. :whistling:

gunplumber
April 05, 2015, 09:24
I did address the trigger.

If the rifle came stock with the Geissele trigger, it would still be overpriced at $2750, IMO. I'm thinking it should sell for around $1995, with the Geissele or equivalent. There is simply no excuse for the shit they stuck in there for 922 compliance.

But it is still a great rifle. Better than the FAL in many ways.

http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com/notes/notes-fal/scar-review/page-scar.shtml

Thorack
April 05, 2015, 14:54
Well,

Ive been on the hunt for a SCAR-17, but its a DAMN SHAME, that you spend at least $2500 on a rifle that needs another $400 minimum out of the box to be really great.

Thats a nice SAR-48 and over 2000 rds of ammo.

Thorack

jaybo785
April 06, 2015, 17:17
Thank you all very much for your input. I love my two FALS and will be keeping them till they bury me. I am planning on sell off all my other long rifles to try to raise money for the scar 17. Any recommendations for a good scope? I'm pretty new when it comes to picking out glass as I've always used iron sights. I've seen a few packages on gunbroken with acogs vs leupold scope. I do plan on saving up and buying a high quality suppressor for it.
Again thank you all for your help. :-)

paulb2112
April 06, 2015, 17:50
Have you went to a store and handled one? Worked the stock, etc.\? Felt the ergonomics? Shot one?
For that kind of cash I have and could not be much less impressed.
I dont care who endorses it.
A buddy broke the stock on his showing it to me in driveway!
Id be slow on the draw at $1000..
Seriously, shoot one first.

J. Armstrong
April 06, 2015, 18:07
I'll bet your buddy broke the stock by just flipping it open and locked ? Big no no.

In stock form the SCAR has ( IMHO ) great ergos except for the railed forend, which to me is abysmal. I reluctantly installed a VLTOR which was a huge improvement - and also upped the price on an already pricey rifle.

Also, the stock trigger sucks. Got a Geisselle, which is a flat out dream - but also more bucks.

But you really have to view an apples to apples comparison, as GP did in one of his posts. That is, if you are considering an alternative to the SCAR, it should be new and similarly equipped - optics mounts with buis, rails if that sort of thing is to your taste, trigger upgrades if appropriate, etc. Under those conditions, the SCAR starts comparing quite favorably.

I have always believes that optics on battle rifles are best kept to relatively low power to allow for sufficient FOV. They need to be rugged if you even remotely envision ever needing to trust your life to the rifle. I put a 1-4 Accupoint on mine on low mounts, and I am well pleased. The scope should prove versatile, with good low light reticle, and on the low mount cowitnesses almost exactly with the irons.

One low cost tip - I found the cocking handle knob, while adequate, was on the small side for my tastes. I spun down the stock handle, removing the outer flange and a bit of the o.d. as well, then reamed out a FAL knob ( I used an aluminum one ) - a little epoxy and voila' - FAL knob on the SCAR. Sweet !

RG Coburn
April 07, 2015, 20:34
Why would they design a folder that has a possible "wrong way" to operate it?
Right up there with designing directional parts that could also be put in "backwards".

gunplumber
April 07, 2015, 20:55
I don't know what broke in the other guy's post, but what I experienced was a problem with the latch/button.

Not getting out the camera right now, but there is a cam angle, that when struck, pushes the button in. Below the cam angle is the straight "shoulder" of the button.

The button protrudes too far. So instead of striking the cam portion, it strikes the shoulder and does not depress the latch. And being plastic, I can see it shearing.

I got out the file and re-contoured this interface. Still - a stupid error. There is another tab on the part that limits it's spring travel. This tab needs to be thicker, so the button doesn't protrude as far, and leaves the cam angle at the right place.

I had heard of someone making a replacement aluminum latch but I haven't seen one. May be vaporware.

jaybo785
April 08, 2015, 17:45
Hi guys, thanks for the additional info, I have not yet had a chance to handle one IRL, there is a gun range where I can rent a SCAR 16, but no one around has a SCAR 17.

Gunplumber, great reviews, really enjoyed them. :-)

yovinny
April 09, 2015, 11:12

LMAO :tongue: Ant' that the God honest truth...

But honestly,,,most do work a whole 10 weeks a year :whistling:

tdb59
April 09, 2015, 11:17
But honestly,,,most do work a whole 10 weeks a year :whistling:

And worry their asses off for 40...

shortround
April 09, 2015, 15:26
...I had heard of someone making a replacement aluminum latch but I haven't seen one. May be vaporware.

Here you go:

https://tangodown.com/shop/tangodown-fn-scar-aluminum-stock-latch/

J. Armstrong
April 09, 2015, 19:00
The only problem as I see it is that the next weak link in the folder is the stock hinge itself, specifically the two "bars" that the latch engages. I don't know for a fact that they could be a failure point, but I am suspicious of them.

jaybo785
April 13, 2015, 19:48
I got a chance to handle a few Scar 16's at a gun show this Saturday, loved the feel of it, still want to get my hands on a scar 17 and pop off a few rounds before throwing down the cash. Also keeping my eyes open on gun broker for a good deal.