PDA

View Full Version : Oil Filter Suppressor

bouncer50
March 31, 2015, 18:37
Are they legal oil filter to use on a 22 rifle as a Suppressor.:? What i understand they work pretty good as a suppressor.

SAFN49
March 31, 2015, 18:46
Yes, if you pay the $200 tax stamp.
There was a 07 that was selling the registered adapters and oil filter that was serialized. When the oil filter went south you sent it back into him and he replaced the oil filter with another serialized one. This has been a few years ago so I don't know if he is still in business. IIRC he was selling the unit for less than $100 plus tax stamp.

Super Dakę
March 31, 2015, 22:31
From my reading, the filter has to be replaced by the manufacturer, and you have to pay each time (something like $35 plus shipping). I don't know how long the filter lasts, but at some point it's cheapness will exceed the "real" .22 cans out there IMHO. And there are some good inexpensive .22 cans out there. Plus, trying to sight through an oil filter, as apposed to a much smaller suppressor, looks like it might be a PITA, but that's just me.

bouncer50
April 01, 2015, 07:20
The reason i ask this question there was a guy at a local gunshow selling adapters for oil filters suppressor. One guy told me oil filter are legal so are the adapters. Like i told him put it on a gun then it becomes illegal. Like the pop bottle suppressor years back. I am betting more then a few are going to get caught thinking it legal to do.

SPEEDGUNNER
April 01, 2015, 08:06
Like it says in Monopoly "Go to Jail, go directly to jail, do not pass GO, do not collect $200". Oil filters are meant to filter oil.

L Haney
April 01, 2015, 09:33
I did the Form 4 on a Gemtech Outback IID for a SIG 1911/22.

The can was $185 (buddy price) the tax was the usual two bills. It's small, VERY light weight, amazingly quiet (no shit, borders on the hollywood sound effects!), and the sights still work on the pistol.

And there ain't no worries about legal definitions, wondering if I might, someday, somehow get in a fix about what I have screwed on the end.

But somebody tell me why the first shot is louder than all the rest? Not a bunch, but the difference is there.

splattermatic
April 01, 2015, 11:04
It's called first round pop, because of the o2 in there. the charge uses it to burn longer. after the first shot, the o2 is reduced because of the burn, and subsequent shots are quieter because of the lack.
If you smoke, blow into it.
There are other ways, but expect it. Large blast chambers, are the usual culprit.

On form 1's, you can use an electric pencil, but it's more than just a number.
trust
city/state
model... make your own up , same as on e form sent in.
caliber
serial number, again made up and same as on form.

........... family trust
city /state
Model: splattermatic
caliber (or cal.) 556
ser. Splatt01

Takes about 30-60 days for e file's to get approved.

Maglite, or bought tubes, with freeze plugs, work great.
Can go ti tubes for more cost to cut weight down, but turn down a stainless Apogee tube by .50 between the threads, and it saves weight. You can also go ti end caps, for more.
Aluminum, is light enough.
Expect weight on a 9" home built can to weigh around 1.5 pounds, to 2.0 pounds.
Not light, but your also only spending about a hunert bucks.
Ti will be lighter, but cost more. Ti, also doesn't stand up to f/a, or mag dumps too well, as well as it's hard, and not easy to engrave, cut, or finish.
If your savy, you can clip fp's, get thinner stainless spacer tubing, turn od of tube down, and get an awesome home built can for pretty cheap.
Material used, makes a diff on weight and costs.

Tinker factor is pegged tho. First round down the tube, brings a huge grin !!!

L Haney
April 01, 2015, 11:22
It's called first round pop, because of the o2 in there. the charge uses it to burn longer.

That meets scrutiny. Thanks Splatt!

c0wb0y84
April 01, 2015, 15:24
The reason i ask this question there was a guy at a local gunshow selling adapters for oil filters suppressor. One guy told me oil filter are legal so are the adapters. Like i told him put it on a gun then it becomes illegal. Like the pop bottle suppressor years back. I am betting more then a few are going to get caught thinking it legal to do.

From what I understand for the ones I've seen is that they are solvent trap adaptors designed to screw on to a barrel to allow an oil filter to screw on to catch the cleaning solvents that run down and out of the barrel which is as I understand legal. However, if you have the same set up and chamber and fire ammo it is then considered a suppressor and better have the required number of pieces of flair as required by law.