Largesfc
March 30, 2015, 11:10
Any one know much about these? Thinking about getting one

Topbanana
March 30, 2015, 11:48
I've read they are very accurate.

hagar
March 30, 2015, 12:10
Gunbroker or private sale your best deal at the moment. Lots of people don't like them, the older ORF receivered one I have shoots great and no ejector peening or bolt lug wear after 500 rounds. Only issue is with the cheap Century trigger that is starting to give me some trigger slap.

Largesfc
March 30, 2015, 12:16
I think a g2 trigger fits.

VALMET
March 30, 2015, 18:26
I owned 2 a number of years ago and could never get either one to feed reliably. Tried factory Israeli steel and Orlites. A shooting buddy had one around the same time and he had the same problem.

Bubacus
March 30, 2015, 18:33
I have one that is very accurate. It only cycles reliably with brass. Steel case stuff is pretty hit or miss for reliability. I had a friend with one that said some of his feeding problems wen t away after using the Tapco Golani Interfuse mag...who knows why.

Largesfc
March 30, 2015, 19:05
If any one wants to sell one.

cowbilly
March 30, 2015, 19:28
Do a search for serial number ranges as some were problematic. Heat treating on some early receivers was not done correctly and mushrooming of the locking recesses will be evident if shot enough. Issues with the bullet guide are common causing rounds to nose into the barrel breech face. Head spacing issues and parts being misaligned are also common.

If you can find the parts, it may be better to build one though Tennessee Galil, Gunplumber or another reputable smith. Better yet, buy one of the new updated IMI Galils hitting the market.

I have a Golani that Tennessee Galil reworked and he checks the heat treating (early milled ones) before he will work on them (which luckily mine turned out to be OK). I had to put an IMI barrel on it and replace a few parts that were worn/out of spec. Some will be totally functional, some are total junk.

I would avoid them unless you know what to check for and don't mind throwing more money into it to get it right. Go with the late cast receivers if you take the plunge. Plenty of info out there on them.

hagar
March 31, 2015, 10:35
If you are talking about the Galil Ace coming to the market, you could not give me one. I prefer the old fashioned look.

Largesfc
March 31, 2015, 10:55
I am not fond of those either.

Casqui1541
March 31, 2015, 19:08
First, call a reputable Galil smith such as Tenn Galil and ask for a no-holds-barred honest assessment of the Golani's. Ask about the best and worst case scenarios that he has encountered. I bought one too hastily; thought I had thoroughly inspected it, but I had only compared it to ones in a much worse state of affairs that I had quickly passed on before. I didn't know what I really needed to be looking for. After realizing that the one I bought came with baggage, I called Tenn Galil. He was very generous with his time and information. Gave me some suggestions to try and listed a number of issues that he had seen with the Golani's. Got home that evening and mentally went through the list he gave. My rifle had every single issue that he had identified. I tried the suggestions that he gave, but they didn't correct anything to my satisfaction. Buttstock hinge joint was a big issue, needed replacement parts that I didn't have much luck finding. Straightened the gas block/front sight base thinking that would at least allow a 25 meter zero. No such luck. Even after putting the retaining pins back, I could bump the block/base around with only moderate force. The dovetail for the front sight was significantly out of spec.. Front sight would not only move front to rear in the dovetail, but also up and down some. Again, a needed replacement part. My top cover did not fit right either. Never could get it to seat all the way down on the left rear corner. This resulted in rear sight being canted as well. If
possible, I advise inspecting it before purchase or making sure you have an inspection period before finalizing the deal. My $.02 is buyer beware. You may have the resources, skills and patience to invest into making one everything you dreamed it would be in you wildest imagination. I didn't.

cowbilly
March 31, 2015, 19:44
If you are talking about the Galil Ace coming to the market, you could not give me one. I prefer the old fashioned look.

It is hard to beat the classic lines of the Galil or FAL para.

The 7.62x39 Ace looks weird with the angle of the AK mag the way it is. The 5.56 and .308 rifles look better and are an improvement over the original Galils in weight and ergonomics. They are hands down better in the hand than the IMI .308 AR or 5.56 ARM (Golani that had to be fixed) I own. Though I have not shot the new Ace, they are the same system internally. I was impressed with the one I looked at (7.63x39 version). I will most likely pick one up (5.56 or .308) if the price comes down some.

If I had to do it all over again, I would not have bought the Golani I have. It looks good now and works fine but it was a hassle and it will always be a Golani (in terms of value) if I decide to trade it off.

Bubacus
March 31, 2015, 21:02
One thing that I did have some trouble with was getting the receiver top cover off the gun and it was a bear to get back on. I've never owned an original Galil so I'm not sure if it is a Century rough fit or is this is more of a Galil issue.

hagar
March 31, 2015, 21:40
They are hard to put back on in both my Galil and Golani, but it has to be tight for the rear sight to be consistent and not shoot flyers.

Arik
April 01, 2015, 09:48
Had one. couldn't get rid of it fast enough. Luckily for me the panic of 08 happened

Largesfc
April 01, 2015, 12:24
Maybe I should just get a 556 AK?

rcnpthfndr
April 01, 2015, 13:38
i have 2 of the Golanis, one a regular, the other with the arms bipod setup. the ARMS bipod one has a canted front gas block/site. the other is fine. haven't used OEM mags only the tapco ones and they run like a champ.

the only thing I don't like is the crease it puts in the brass, which is why I only use steel case 5.56 with them.

cowbilly
April 01, 2015, 17:59
Maybe I should just get a 556 AK?

Arsenal makes a quality 5.56 AK with several options. Mags can be expensive and hard to find in quantity compared to 7.62 mags. I don't think you can go wrong with one of those.

Another thing about those Golani's, a lot of people will sell the problem rifles off and not let you know what is up with it, it's a real crap shoot, your chances are high it get a bum. Tennessee Galil told me a horror story or two about messed up rifles being passed off. This is why some smiths started chopping the receiver if the hardness was not correct for safety's sake(on the milled early ones).

Largesfc
April 01, 2015, 18:36
Arsenal has stopped making the 5.56 but some are still available.

cowbilly
April 01, 2015, 20:01
https://www.k-var.com/shop/SLR-106-Series-5.56x45-Caliber-Bulgarian-Stamped-Receiver-Rifles

SLR 106-21 $1,017.53 sold through K-Var, I picked one up about a year ago, I know they discontinued some models but did not think they did all of them, maybe these are some left overs, some say in stock some out.

Regardless, Arsenal is a smart choice, you get what you pay for.... usually.

Bubacus
April 01, 2015, 21:23
I guess the question you want to ask yourself is do you want a knock off of a Galil that you are willing to tinker with or have a .223 AK style weapon that is more of a shooter (VEPR, Arsenal, or even a current SIG 556). The only reason I went with a Golani is that I have a number of other reliable .223 guns and wanted a Galil without the pre-ban Galil price tag. But remember...sometimes you get what you pay for.

Casqui1541
April 02, 2015, 21:40
Reinstalling receiver cover trick: instead of putting rear of recoil spring/cover retainer in the normal slot before putting cover on, slide the retaining piece forward in its slot until it drops just out of slot and let it rest just below the slot.
Attach cover, fully seated and hold it there. Briskly pull charging handle back all the way. This will push the spring/retaining piece upward and back into the slot where it retains the already installed cover. Read about this in one of Kokalis' SOF articles about the Galils when they were first introduced into the U.S.. It did work for me; much less frustrating.

gunplumber
April 03, 2015, 09:57
ORFs were dangerously defective because of improper heat treat and improper machining of the locking lugs. There is no way to fix it, and difficult to test for.

Later ones after the cockroach Todd Grove finally died, may be better. Supposedly by Caspian. Still have to deal with angry beavers and drunken monkeys from CAI.

Really can't see any point, as the result is still a clunky toy. Lot better choices now days.

N4KVE
April 03, 2015, 10:02
Everything above is true. I had an early ORF receivered gun. Even though it functioned perfectly, it was rapidly losing headspace due to the receiver lug problem. I was able to sell it & not lose much $. A year later, I found another one, but this one only had Hebrew letters on the receiver. I had it checked out by our gunsmith at the store, & it was perfect. None of the problems of the earlier ones. My opinion would be to only buy one from someone you know, & have it checked out by a gunsmith before laying out the cash. Otherwise you will be spending $ with Jeff. [Tennegil" BTW, I never had a problem with installing the top cover. GARY

kursktiger
April 08, 2015, 07:18
I got mine a few years ago from Classic Arms in Charlotte. It was one of the last ones they had. The only problem I've ever had with it was the firing pin broke after less than 300 rounds. I bought a titanium firing pin online and have since shot a couple thousand trouble-free rounds of mostly cheap Russian steel. It does crease the brass (it strikes the up-turned charging handle when it leaves the receiver) and it is heavy but it is a joy to shoot. It also has the "F" stamp under the receiver which some say means the gun's initial issues were fixed, but who knows. Like some one else said, it will always be a Golani with low re-sale value but I plan on keeping mine. :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/panzersergeant/Golani%20Sporter/GolaniLeftside.jpg

Largesfc
April 08, 2015, 07:50
I just dont want to end up with some one elses problems. I have enough!

hagar
April 08, 2015, 08:11
I got mine a few years ago from Classic Arms in Charlotte. It was one of the last ones they had. The only problem I've ever had with it was the firing pin broke after less than 300 rounds. I bought a titanium firing pin online and have since shot a couple thousand trouble-free rounds of mostly cheap Russian steel. It does crease the brass (it strikes the up-turned charging handle when it leaves the receiver) and it is heavy but it is a joy to shoot. It also has the "F" stamp under the receiver which some say means the gun's initial issues were fixed, but who knows. Like some one else said, it will always be a Golani with low re-sale value but I plan on keeping mine. :)

May I ask where you bought the firing pin? From what I understand, the Golani firing pin is different from either the R4 or Galil since Century bored out the rear of the bolt to put a spring in there.

gaijinsamurai
April 08, 2015, 12:03
I have one that is very accurate. It only cycles reliably with brass. Steel case stuff is pretty hit or miss for reliability.......

Funny, because mine was the opposite! I had one for about two and a half years. Mangled brass cases, which always had issues feeding and ejecting. It digested steel cased ammo just fine. Part of the reason I sold it was because logistically, I was tired of having to keep two different stashes of 5.56/.223: one for the Golani, and the other for my other 5.56 rifles.

Like has been mentioned before, there are better rifles out there. If I were to buy a non-AR 5.56 rifle, I'd probably opt for the SIG 556. (which I acquired in a trade for a G1 clone FAL, and am very happy with!)

kursktiger
April 08, 2015, 22:55
May I ask where you bought the firing pin? From what I understand, the Golani firing pin is different from either the R4 or Galil since Century bored out the rear of the bolt to put a spring in there.

I don't recall where I got it but it is a Galil firing pin without the spring. It went right in my bolt with no problems.

gaijinsamurai
April 08, 2015, 23:15
When I had my Golani, I bought extra parts, including a firing pin, via APEX.

Incognito
April 17, 2015, 18:27
It's a crying shame what Century did with the Golani's. I have an IMI Galil and they are fine rifles. If I was looking to buy one now and did not want to pay the price that an IMI commands now, I would get with a reputable smith like Tenngalil and see if he could build me one for less.

Scott V2
April 18, 2015, 06:13
I just have to add my .02

A large Israeli-based distributor was in the shop this week. One of my co-workers is in love with the Galil rifles and was asking this reps opinion. This rep is an Israeli citizen and served 4 active years over there. His thoughts on the Galil is that it is a very poor attempted copy of the AK and if you want an AK buy a real one and leave the Galil behind.:D He also said something to the effect that not everything that the Israeli's make or do is the best choice.;)

Incognito
April 21, 2015, 21:29
I just have to add my .02

A large Israeli-based distributor was in the shop this week. One of my co-workers is in love with the Galil rifles and was asking this reps opinion. This rep is an Israeli citizen and served 4 active years over there. His thoughts on the Galil is that it is a very poor attempted copy of the AK and if you want an AK buy a real one and leave the Galil behind.:D He also said something to the effect that not everything that the Israeli's make or do is the best choice.;)

Hahaha, well you're right about one thing...that is only worth .02 :). JUST KIDDING, kind of. I've owned 3 AKs and I definitely prefer the Galil. I love AKs but I adore my Galil. The only thing the AK has up on the Galil is that it is lighter weight. I have talked to some Israelis who disliked the Galil solely because of its weight. I don't mind the added weight. It is worth it for the added benefits.

Of course, this is all just my .02 :)

gaijinsamurai
April 23, 2015, 11:07
When I lived in Japan, I had an Israeli co-worker who was an ex-IDF paratrooper.

I vividly remember when I told him how I envied him for having been issued a Galil, while I had been stuck with an "inferior" M16A2. He responded that he and his fellow soldiers actually preferred the m16 (in the CAR-15/M4 version), due to better ergonomics, and I think my reaction was the adult equivilant of being told that Santa Claus doesn't exist.

Years later, when I owned my Golani, I understood why.

riderboy
April 24, 2015, 05:48
One thing that I did have some trouble with was getting the receiver top cover off the gun and it was a bear to get back on. I've never owned an original Galil so I'm not sure if it is a Century rough fit or is this is more of a Galil issue.

I place the rear end of the recoil spring guide rod just below the rear notch where it sits at the back of the receiver. Place the topcover, then, holding it in place firmly bring the bolt handle back as though you were chambering a round. The recoil spring guide rod should "jump" into it's notch. Takes a litttle practivce, but that's much easier with a tight top cover.