PDA

View Full Version : Romanian finish

detroit360
March 28, 2015, 21:17
Finished up the romy today, Nodak receiver, all numbers match,never been fired, laminated stock and forarm, it functions perfect and real smoth, whats it worth??

Thorack
March 28, 2015, 22:16
Well,

Its a good question but probably not what you are looking for. I wouldn't bet more than $600. The matching parts and original barrel are great. The Nodak is not a negative or positive. The home build is probably a minus unless the rivets look perfect ie.. factory like.

Lots of good AK choices out there right now with no compromises.

Thorack

detroit360
March 28, 2015, 22:40
Oh I'm not going to sell it, I just wonder what you all thought it is worth

detroit360
March 29, 2015, 00:33
I would not say that the Nodak Spud receiver is neither positive or negative, I think it is a positive that is self explanatory.

detroit360
March 29, 2015, 04:08
self explanatory ??????????

gunplumber
March 29, 2015, 09:44
You have a $450 parts kit, a $100 receiver. You may or may not have $50-$100 in US parts.

You have a no-name builder, so even with a perfect build, you have no value in the build labor. So maybe $600. A professional level refinish, add $100.

In comparison, a gun with a known builder's mark, usually adds around $200 to the value.

One of my apprentices built an AK on a Polish kit. He had some experience and I walked him through it. He did a good enough job that I had no problem with him stamping it as an ARS build. Now he needs to sell it for car repairs. He's asking $1000. I think he'll get $800-$850. (anyone interested, I'll forward you his e-mail address, but I have NOTHING to do with the sale).

detroit360
March 29, 2015, 13:53
Do you agree a Nodak receiver is a plus?

gunplumber
March 29, 2015, 19:56
It is a good receiver, but it is not a "plus" because it is standard - the norm. You get just the value of the receiver ($90). An NDS-3 maybe $60.

Anything other than a Nodak or 74u or maybe a Childers is a major minus. Leaves you with just the value of the parts kit, minus a bit because it's a bigger pain in the ass to use a parts kits that's already been built twice, than to just buy a parts kit.

detroit360
March 29, 2015, 21:06
I did a m 70 under folder also a uzi and everything was right on the money,no stumbling blocks of any kind, and for me in this day and age its a great thing.

detroit360
March 30, 2015, 07:20
Took it out to my buddies house and test fired it, feeds and ejects no problem, the rails on this receiver line up with the trunnion absolutely perfect, the action is smoother than my milled receiver!

Thorack
April 03, 2015, 20:02
detroit360,

Take at look at these Polish made AK's and tell me if you think your kit gun is worth more than a factory built gun?

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F1IOR47POLY&utm_source=AIM+Surplus+Main+List&utm_campaign=18c322cdeb-040220154_2_2015&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_6870497a6a-18c322cdeb-18043281

Thorack

detroit360
April 04, 2015, 01:18
I do not think the gun I built is worth more than those polish ak's, but the $499 price does not include shipping and does not include ffl fes Im not sure about taxes, so your looking at least $550 and maybe more. I was not trying to make a statement or point by asking what is the gun worth, I was simply wondering what the gun is worth for my own curiosity.

quicksand
April 04, 2015, 11:43
I bought a very nicely built original barrel Romanian home build last year for $500 as the one you have described and I consider it a great deal. I think I could get $600, but it may take a while in todays market since people can get things from century around $500. The guy I bought it from took his time and did a great job.

Many people don't trust kit gun home builds, this has allowed me to get some great deals on excellent guns.

There are plenty of guys here who are not pro builders but have ton of experience and if they offer up an FAL for the right price I would be all over it.

If I knew who you were and I had read you giving tips in threads about building AK's I would be willing to pay more. If I have no clue about the builder I don't want to pay more than the sum of the parts because that may be all it is, or worse.

gunplumber
April 04, 2015, 14:02
If I have no clue about the builder I don't want to pay more than the sum of the parts because that may be all it is, or worse.

sums it up nicely

detroit360
April 04, 2015, 21:57
Well your right I feel the same way, if I didn't know the builder I would not buy a gun from him either. that being said I have not sold any gun I have built, I have given some to people I know, but those guns many rounds put thru them and I know that they are as safe as any gun out there. How ever I am not a professional gunsmith, but the guns I have built all ran without any problems what so ever first time every time except for a m1 garand that came with a cast receiver, I have in the past built a dozen or so race engines that I never had any trouble with, I guess I'm just a lucky guy.