PDA

View Full Version : WTB - Flat Mainspring Housing For 1911

Bruce Allen
March 28, 2015, 07:36
Anybody got one they would like to sell?

I have decided to try one on my .45..

Don't mind if it is used.

MAINER
March 28, 2015, 10:21
Flat MS housing's work best for me. Back when the Earth was young the Internet only existed in a galaxy far away, I cut a Mil. arched housing down and roughened it up with a punch. Works good.

You should be able to find a Poly MS for cheap to try. If I can find the one I removed from a Kimber, it's yours for the shipping.
Right now, can't even find the Kimber. :confused:

Bruce Allen
March 28, 2015, 10:52
Thanks.

I have found them at various companies for 24 to 46 dollars.

My late brother switched to the flat housing and loved it..

yellowhand
March 28, 2015, 13:19
13.00 bucks
http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/451911mainspringhousingflatcheckered.aspx

Actually got one of these some time back from Sarco, very nice, far better than price would indicate.
Had one tiny rough spot, 30 seconds with file took care of that

Bruce Allen
March 28, 2015, 20:13
Dang.. I missed that one Yellowhand..

Thanks..

Edited to add order placed..

nearmisses
April 19, 2015, 12:23
Try this on ebay
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=1911+flat+mainspring+housing&_sop=10&_from=R40&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=1911+flat+mainspring+housing&_sacat=0

jugrunner
April 19, 2015, 13:05
I have a couple of the Colt "plastic" jobs ... both colors of "plastic" IIRC ...

Free for the time to send a PM with a current address ...

Bruce Allen
April 19, 2015, 20:30
Thanks guys.. but I followed Yellowhand's suggestion of Sarco and bought two of them, mainly as they had a $19 minimum order.

They took about 10 days to show up.

Installed in one of my pistols and it had no fit problems at all.

Have already had one practice session with it and got to compare two 1911's side by side one with the flat housing and I think I like it..

AND I finally got to do some shooting in a way I have wanted to do for a long time - shooting with a 1911 in each hand.
Now I did not get crazy and blast each as fast a possible, but fired one after the other until empty. Kept all rounds in the chest area of a silhouette target at about 7 yards..
Did it several times..
Left with a big smile.. it was good for me! :D

yellowhand
April 19, 2015, 22:12
:D
Was at range today, with my 357 Sig's, half strong and half weak hand, and now my weak hand really feels like crap!:facepalm:
Practice like you plan to fight.;)

Bruce Allen
April 20, 2015, 16:40
Really!

I fired about 150 rounds, mostly with strong hand and my hand got to trembling and it took about 20 minutes for it to subside.

yellowhand
April 20, 2015, 16:59
Really!

I fired about 150 rounds, mostly with strong hand and my hand got to trembling and it took about 20 minutes for it to subside.

:D I'm old! :D

Bruce Allen
June 13, 2015, 21:17
OK.. Thought I would try a bit of posing here... that is firearms posing..

I finally got around to changing out the mainspring housing in my primary carry .45 today.
As several have already seen some of them require a little "hand fitting". The first one slid into place perfectly and the second one did not.
Finished it out with some Gun Kote..

Depicted is also a double edged knife.
That knife I have had for over 35 years and carried it on and off when I wanted to, and then carried it on duty for 6 or 7 years daily as my backup once. The sheath has my dried sweat embedded in it.
The .45 started life as a plain A1 model and it was customized as I had the money. It has been with me for almost 20 years.
Both are old friends and a comfort to have around.

Those of you who carry understand exactly what I mean.
http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n552/207blue/IMG_2185.jpg

yellowhand
June 14, 2015, 00:49
I also prefer the flat MSH and also the same design knife, mine is an old Gerber Mk1 from a very long time ago.;)

Bruce Allen
June 14, 2015, 10:56
Interesting.
The Mark 1 is very close in dimensions to the knife I have.. like almost exact.

After a lot of study and reading about back up weapons I opted for a knife and wanted one designed for thrusting but also capable for slashing. It would not be used as a camping knife, period, having a dedicated purpose.

yellowhand
June 14, 2015, 11:19
Same here, the Mk1 I carry has only one purpose.:wink:
Actually have two, one on my LBE harness, high chest carry inverted and one that just seems to go everywhere I go!
The Army sent me through a course on knife fighting, still carry the scar on my left upper arm.
8 stitches to close that one.
Used properly it is a formidable weapon which most normal people do not fully understand or comprehend.
I'm getting ready to cut a couple of training Mk1's out of hickory, will post up some photos.
Have a couple of friends that are prevented from CC at work, Doc's, but can get by with a blade who asked for a little help.
Didn't realize/think that doc's are looked at as targets for druggee's and other rift raft coming and going from office and hospital.

Bruce Allen
June 14, 2015, 14:02
Understood.

For most of my adult life I have considered a man with a knife potentially more dangerous than a man with a gun.

yellowhand
June 14, 2015, 14:41
Understood.

For most of my adult life I have considered a man with a knife potentially more dangerous than a man with a gun.

Most people who pull out a knife either know how to use one or are desperate, both of which will do one severe harm.
Agree fully, once knife range is met, far more dangerous than facing off with a firearm equipped adversary.
In a knife fight, everyone gets cut!

Mark IV
June 21, 2015, 20:25
If you're still looking, I have one I took off of my Series 70 Gold Cup. $20 shipped. Send me a PM if you're interested. I have to see if it has the spring, plunger and retaining pin, might have removed it and put in my arched housing.

Bruce Allen
June 22, 2015, 23:05
Thank you, but I purchased 2 from Sarco in April for about $13 each.. hence the pic of the pistol.

bubbaguns
June 23, 2015, 01:36
OK.. Thought I would try a bit of posing here... that is firearms posing..

I finally got around to changing out the mainspring housing in my primary carry .45 today.
As several have already seen some of them require a little "hand fitting". The first one slid into place perfectly and the second one did not.
Finished it out with some Gun Kote..

Depicted is also a double edged knife.
That knife I have had for over 35 years and carried it on and off when I wanted to, and then carried it on duty for 6 or 7 years daily as my backup once. The sheath has my dried sweat embedded in it.
The .45 started life as a plain A1 model and it was customized as I had the money. It has been with me for almost 20 years.
Both are old friends and a comfort to have around.

Those of you who carry understand exactly what I mean.
http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n552/207blue/IMG_2185.jpg

That model of Pachmayr grips are some of my favorite. I have them on most of my 1911s. Pachmayr no longer makes that model. But you can still find them at brownells, cabelas and others.

Bruce Allen
June 23, 2015, 23:33
Yes Sir..

There is almost no way not to get a proper hold on that pistol when you grab it with those grips.

I have had them on that pistol for almost as long as I have had it and got no plans to remove them.

nearmisses
June 27, 2015, 01:01
Understood.

In my youth I helped a friend with some M/C repossessions'. On one, a fisherman with a 350 Honda Four was way behind on payments, he pulled a filet knife on my buddy, I pulled my 45, pointed it at him and remember saying "rock beats scissors". He dropped the knife luckily. We took the bike and in a week he had his payments caught up and was riding again. Those were the wild west days. Glad I lived this long. You are correct, distance is key when confronting a knife and someone who can use one, a good BS line seems to help also.

yellowhand
June 27, 2015, 10:59
Just remember, when people are shot, ain't like the movies, they don't always fall down and depart the fight, those with a knife, may still win the war with a pistol, even after being shot.

Bruce Allen
June 27, 2015, 17:15
It has been determined long ago 21 feet is the MINUMUM SAFE DISTANCE to at when confronting an actively hostile person and add any type of hand carried non-firearm.

Watch this police training film:
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7fPNhWH_Thk?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

yellowhand
June 27, 2015, 17:28
Good video, and these folks were far faster on the draw than most normal people.
A knife attack shocks most people, and with a lot of blood present, it becomes a very effective weapon even more than one on one.
No one wants to get cut!