PDA

View Full Version : WTK what .22 I have PIX

johnmac
March 24, 2015, 09:24
WTK what .22 I have. Picked this .22 up broken and filthy but I like it.

I can't find Brand or model markings on it anywhere. Anyone know what make model this is?

Thanks for the help!

SAFN49
March 24, 2015, 10:08
Looks like a Savage model 6. They made a ton of them for everybody, Sears, Montgomery Ward, Western Auto.

johnmac
March 24, 2015, 10:38
WOO HOO Thanks!

justashooter
March 25, 2015, 07:36
very closely related to stevens 87.

johnmac
March 29, 2015, 07:02
Really crazy, it is not in my assembly/disassembly rimfire book under any make/model.

Someone said it is in the nra book though.

tac-40
March 29, 2015, 14:50
Yep, Savage Model 6A. As stated above, had many different company name it was sold under. Also known as the gill or fish gill 22. Numrich's has a schematic showing all of the parts.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c392/bradcdavis00/Springfield%2087A/579ab480.jpg

http://stevespages.com/jpg/ipb-savage-6a-6ab-6ba.jpg

Gazz
March 30, 2015, 06:36
Enjoy it while it still works. Years ago, I got one of those for short money but it soon developed a problem in that it did not want to stop shooting. I ordered some parts that I thought might fix it from Numrich but no luck. I got another one for cheap because of the severe rust on it and swapped parts with no success. Then I was at an auction and whatayaknow, they had bundled three of them together to sell as one lot. All had issues, rust, bent barrel, busted stock, missing trigger guard but I thought there must be a good part in the pile that will fix mine. No such luck. The problem is the bolts have a near knife edge ridge on the bottom that operates the disconnector. Once the ridge wears out, there is no stopping them.

Sig220
March 30, 2015, 07:16
I got one... a fun gun to shoot.....either as a semi-auto or lock the bolt in and use as a single shot/bolt action. Cant hardly run away if you push the bolt knob in to lock it for a single shot. :whistling: