PDA

View Full Version : Cetme Wear

chas442
March 17, 2015, 13:22
If this has been asked and answered, I apologize and would like guidance to see the related posts. I have 2 century cetmes. One has literally less than 100 rounds thru it. The other unknown. I am assuming that these were built using used military rifle parts on the trunnions, bolt heads and carriers just to name a few.
My question is how do you determine wear and serviceability.
I am familiar on bolt head gap and cocking tube gap. How does one determine of the trunnion is worn and or to what extent?
When is a trunnion worn to where it is no longer a safe rifle to shoot.
What should one look for on the other components?

TIA

BIG50
March 17, 2015, 14:19
You will never wear out a trunion they are to hard. Mayme if you ran a million rounds through the gun but everything else would be worn out way before. Just keep up with your heaf space and you will be fine.

tywest
March 17, 2015, 17:44
You will never wear out a trunion they are to hard. Mayme if you ran a million rounds through the gun but everything else would be worn out way before. Just keep up with your heaf space and you will be fine.

Except for some us made ones

chas442
March 17, 2015, 18:22
I have 2 CETMEs built by CIA. I was under the impression they used trunnions from imported kits. How would I tell if they are domestically made?

chas442
March 17, 2015, 18:27
Another question. Eventually barrels erode after a certain number of rounds are shot. I would expect that the chambers would erode to the point the bolt gap could no longer correct "headspace". Is there a way of telling when that occurs other than case failures with proper bolt gap?

BIG50
March 17, 2015, 21:44
Another question. Eventually barrels erode after a certain number of rounds are shot. I would expect that the chambers would erode to the point the bolt gap could no longer correct "headspace". Is there a way of telling when that occurs other than case failures with proper bolt gap?

the rifling will be worn out way before the chamber is eroded beyond use.
and you will always be able to reset the head spacing on these by either replacing the bolt rollers and locking piece or by re pressing the barrel.
even if your chamber is completely gone you can set head space on these because the head space is basically set when the bolt is hitting on the barrel/chamber face with a gap/lock up of the bolt and carrier. unlike other weapons that the head space is measured with a head space gauge in the chamber.

Texgunner
March 17, 2015, 22:27
BIG50, my Century Cetme Sporter has very shallow chamber flutes. It's the model with black plastic furniture. Is that unusual, or rare? Significant?

chas442
March 17, 2015, 23:26
I've had rollers in my hand. They appear to be as hard as bearings. Is the trunnion hardened in the same as the rollers. It would seem to me that the trunnions would be the wear item not the rollers. Please tell me if I am wrong.

djfin
March 18, 2015, 16:55
Ok you are wrong. The rollers and the locking piece are the wear parts. You will not wear out the trunnion.