PDA

View Full Version : crazy flash hider romanian AK??

detroit360
March 15, 2015, 12:25
What the heck kind of flash hider is cut off at an angle, but when it is screwed on the notch makes it end up so its pointing up and off to the right,can this be correct??

johndoe
March 15, 2015, 12:47
Pic or link to a pic ? Because I can't picture anything but a standard slant brake.

tac-40
March 15, 2015, 13:11
http://www.tapco.com/products/images/uploads/AK0684(3).jpg

The muzzle device pictured above is the standard AK type muzzle BRAKE. When indexed properly the pin in the front sight block should engage the notch in the brake. This positions the slant portion pointing up and to the right. The purpose is to direct the gas in that direction to counter act the muzzle rise during full auto fire. It does nothing to eliminate muzzle flash.

detroit360
March 15, 2015, 15:03
that's it!! but why off to the right, I said flash hider for lack of the correct lingo, I am getting a little senile, Im sorry to say!

Illurian00
March 15, 2015, 16:25
'slant brake'

detroit360
March 15, 2015, 17:56
but why direct the gas off to the right ? interference with sighting ??

Pluribus
March 15, 2015, 20:08
Supposedly it's to counter act bullet rotation as well muzzle climb from gas.

detroit360
March 15, 2015, 22:28
who you gonna call GHOSTBUSTERS!

gunplumber
March 16, 2015, 09:12
bolt rotates to the right.
bullets rotate to the right.
piston above centerline forces muzzle up on recoil.

Result - full auto fire, muzzle climbs up and right.

Slant brake pushes muzzle down and left.

No use on a semi. But some like for authenticity. I prefer the ChiCom 84

detroit360
March 16, 2015, 09:14
thank you, your never to old to learn!

gunplumber
March 16, 2015, 09:39
thank you, your never to old to learn!

Does that include spelling?

detroit360
March 16, 2015, 11:08
absatively!!

Wecsogery
March 16, 2015, 12:40
bolt rotates to the right.
bullets rotate to the right.

Bolt rotates to the left upon opening. Equal and opposite reaction should then deflect to the right. But the bullet spinning to the right probably cancels that.:cool:

I contend that the muzzle tends to deflect right in the hands of a right handed shooter, simply because the weapon is right of the center of balance.

gunplumber
March 16, 2015, 12:50
Bolt rotates to the left upon opening. Equal and opposite reaction should then deflect to the right. But the bullet spinning to the right probably cancels that.:cool:

I contend that the muzzle tends to deflect right in the hands of a right handed shooter, simply because the weapon is right of the center of balance.

I understand the thought, but it is incorrect. It is the bolt rotation. It is irrelevant to what hand you're holding it in.

TAPCO made a thousand comps and the contractor put the index on the wrong side. So they added it to the other side as well, and spun the defect as for "left handed" shooters. Thus starting this silly rumor.

MK understood this, so when he updated the AK to the AKM he lengthened the left side of the trunion, and shortened the right, to move the bolt carrier impact to the left side (from the right) and partially mitigate the bolt locking torque.

At least, that's what the 1958 Russian documentation says, and I have this notion that they know more about it than I do.

In 1974, with the AK74, the vent holes on the compensator are also asymmetrical, favoring the right side.

albacore
March 20, 2015, 01:41
In my basement, I have a box of slant brakes. Being as my AKs are all semi auto, I have muzzle nuts on 'em. Of course, as soon as I get my gun trust sorted out the slant brakes, third pin and big smiles go on.

gunplumber
March 20, 2015, 08:51
In my basement, I have a box of slant brakes. Being as my AKs are all semi auto, I have muzzle nuts on 'em. Of course, as soon as I get my gun trust sorted out the slant brakes, third pin and big smiles go on.

You obviously need to read up a little more on the law before talking about third pins. Ever since Reagan signed the 1986 machinegun ban, there are no new transferables.

Yeah, that's right you Republicans - REAGAN. Just like Bush signed the import ban. And REPUBLICAN AG Gonzales "reinterpretted it" to ban receivers and barrels. And your former NRA President campaigned for the '68 gun ban.

R1shooter
March 25, 2015, 21:16
Bolt unlocks to the left, but I do believe that the omnipotent gunplumber conceded the designer of the AK may be correct in this.

Pluribus
March 25, 2015, 23:12
Bolt unlocks to the left, but I do believe that the omnipotent gunplumber conceded the designer of the AK may be correct in this.

But, it locks rotating to the right as GP noted. That, is the significant dynamic motion that may contribute to muzzle movement in the combination of all full auto dynamics. Unlocking of the bolt (rotating left) occurs after the gas has left the muzzle.

Sound like I might have learned something.

arrogant bastard, teach me will he.

:smile:

gunplumber
March 26, 2015, 08:44

And the butt trap opens to the rear. As I believe even the blow-hard DSA shill will concede. I think he has a special affinity for that part. Even the dirty Romanian ones covered in black tar.

What that has to do with what grown-ups are discussing, I don't know.

http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com/store/ak/ak-part-stock-hardware.jpg

tac-40
March 26, 2015, 09:28
https://canadiangirlranting.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/play-nice.jpg

Arik
April 01, 2015, 09:52
You obviously need to read up a little more on the law before talking about third pins. Ever since Reagan signed the 1986 machinegun ban, there are no new transferables.

Yeah, that's right you Republicans - REAGAN. Just like Bush signed the import ban. And REPUBLICAN AG Gonzales "reinterpretted it" to ban receivers and barrels. And your former NRA President campaigned for the '68 gun ban.

What he said. No 3rd pins since 1986. Doesn't matter if you have a trust, your rifle must have already been converted to select fire prior to 1986