PDA

View Full Version : what AK do I have ??

detroit360
March 14, 2015, 17:46
I have had this parts kit so long I don't remember which AK it is, maybe you guys can tell me? It has the front part of the stock made of wood and the fore arm has a grip that comes down and it is all one piece, shoot my lack of the correct wording is making this harder than need be,is there some thing else I can tell you guys that wood be more helpful, like numbers? any way any help would be appreciated.

mpnv
March 14, 2015, 17:57
PICTURES!

andresere
March 14, 2015, 18:03
For $10,000.....what is "Donkey Dick Forearm", Alex.
AK 74s and 47s both had them. Romanian probably (AKM). But might be Polish. But might be a bunch of different things. Without pictures, you're kinda shooting in the dark.

detroit360
March 14, 2015, 18:09
cant do pictures, the donkey dick is the perfect description, it is 7.62x39 I think it is romanium, but wasn't positive, Im going to build this kit so I needed to know what to order like the receiver to start with, thanks for the info!!

gunplumber
March 14, 2015, 18:10
For $10,000.....what is "Donkey Dick Forearm", Alex.
AK 74s and 47s both had them. Romanian probably (AKM). But might be Polish. But might be a bunch of different things. Without pictures, you're kinda shooting in the dark.

Yeah - given that it's a kit, I'd say 99% Romy G.

detroit360
March 15, 2015, 08:51
Funny you said romy G cause it had a Big G on the side right under the sight, I have had this kit forever and its the last of every thing I had, so its to be probably my last build, I cant remember what I paid for it way under a 100 bucks, it seems to be a pretty stout gun and its never been fired, all matching numbers, buy the way any one got a spare receiver out there they want to part with, I can do 80% but really don't want to, drilling the holes can be a nightmare.

gunplumber
March 15, 2015, 09:37
Yea - I bought 500 of them when they were $99. Now you can get $450+ on that kit. Which may be the best idea if you simply want a gun - It's a lot more complicated than a FAL. It you're already set up for the riveting and have the presses, the G is the "easiest" of the AK kits. But it is a lot of value to trash through ignorance.

Receivers - you'll want an NDS-1 from NodakSpud.com EZ if they have it.

Oh, and of course, you'll want the best AK building tutorial http://falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=377917

detroit360
March 15, 2015, 11:35
Thanks for the info Gunplumber, actually I just got done pressing on the front trunnion and pinning it. I surely will get my receiver from Nodak, now I know which one to get, thank you. I got a receiver for an uzi build I did a while back and it was awesome, the gun runs flawlessly!!

hueyville
March 15, 2015, 14:32
detroit360
If you own a phone that will take pictures and send text messages you can likely post photos. Take pics with phone, enter your email address in the "send" box where you normally enter a phone number, attach the photos and press send. Photos appear in email, save to location on hard drive, then use tinypic or photobucket (I like tinypic) to size image to message board size. Will generate a link you copy then past into message here in files.

detroit360
March 15, 2015, 15:00
Thank you Hueyville but I can try to do as you say, but I don't text and I don't e-mail using my phone, so its probably a lost cause< I am quite dumb when it comes to cell phones and computers, I was actually forced to get a cell phone by my kid and wife.

detroit360
March 17, 2015, 23:29
One NDS "EZ" on its way! Oh it seems that the Plumber is quite well known~~

delloro
April 04, 2015, 22:23
I just got done pressing on the front trunnion and pinning it.

oh noes not a screw build

gunplumber
April 05, 2015, 09:10
Yeah, he lost me there. Since a Romy G one has to press the barrel out of the demilled trunion before riveting that trunion to the to new receiver. Then one presses the barrel back in.

All covered here, but it sounds like it's too late.

http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2533388#post2533388

detroit360
April 05, 2015, 12:44
Im surprised Gunplumber that you haven't figured out how can I shoot an Ak if it isn't together yet, because I pressed the barrel into the trunnion, or are you methodically manipulating me into a confession That I had the receiver oooooo let the berating begin !!

gunplumber
April 05, 2015, 12:53
Im surprised Gunplumber that you haven't figured out how can I shoot an Ak if it isn't together yet, because I pressed the barrel into the trunnion, or are you methodically manipulating me into a confession That I had the receiver oooooo let the berating begin !!

It's called logic and deduction - yeah, I know, if you're younger than 40, you probably never learned it.

I just got done pressing on the front trunnion and pinning it. I surely will get my receiver from Nodak, now I know which one to get, thank you.

One NDS "EZ" on its way!

Riveting the trunion comes before pressing the barrel, as with the barrel installed, the #1 and #2 rivets cannot be secured.

detroit360
April 05, 2015, 17:04
Here is the deal the trunnions I got some time ago the front one the rivets of course was fine but the rear trunnion the long rivet was stuck like chuck, now I have a 20 ton press, but Im sure you know there is not a lot of meat around that rivet, and who ever tried to drill it out got it whacked out of center, I tried to drill it but all it did was to dull up some bits, I even tried a cement bit which some times will work,now I do not have very much money to fart around but knowing that I AM keeping this gun and I know a guy who is a welder beyond, and Gunplumber I took the cheap and easy way out. The guy tig welded just the rivet holes and he plug the holes with rivets then welded it, after a little filing all that was left were some nicely rounded what looks like 1/3 of a rivet head,there I confessed!

Thorack
April 05, 2015, 18:00
Yep,

Homebuild that subtracts value and permanently modified a matching numbers trunnion. I wouldnt value that one for anywhere near $600.

Thorack

4duece
April 05, 2015, 19:00
WTF, Some people shouldent be around perfectly good parts kits.:facepalm:

detroit360
April 05, 2015, 19:02
At least I'm honest~~~~~~~~~~

gunplumber
April 06, 2015, 09:16
Here is the deal the trunnions I got some time ago the front one the rivets of course was fine but the rear trunnion the long rivet was stuck like chuck, now I have a 20 ton press, but Im sure you know there is not a lot of meat around that rivet, and who ever tried to drill it out got it whacked out of center, I tried to drill it but all it did was to dull up some bits, I even tried a cement bit which some times will work,now I do not have very much money to fart around but knowing that I AM keeping this gun and I know a guy who is a welder beyond, and Gunplumber I took the cheap and easy way out. The guy tig welded just the rivet holes and he plug the holes with rivets then welded it, after a little filing all that was left were some nicely rounded what looks like 1/3 of a rivet head,there I confessed!

So I need to revise my estimate. Because of the way you goatf-cked the parts kit, it is now worth only scrap parts. I'd say $250, $300 if you're lucky or the buyer is really ignorant.

And again, the chronology doesn't match. You built it before you had a receiver, but you'd already welded the receiver. Ok, whatever dude. I don't think I can really be of any more assistance here.

detroit360
April 06, 2015, 10:23
I think your making a really BIG DEAL out of this and in the end I don't really give a sh-t what you think or say.

gunplumber
April 06, 2015, 10:27
I think your making a really BIG DEAL out of this and in the end I don't really give a sh-t what you think or say.

Apparently, you do - or you wouldn't have posted the question.

detroit360
April 06, 2015, 16:21
The question was posed on a whim, I apologize for statement earlier, my thinking and yours differ on this matter, given the millions of ak's in the world I just don't see this as a crucial matter, but I understand your point of view I just don't agree with it given the circumstances that made me make the decision I did.

gunplumber
April 06, 2015, 16:30
The question was posed on a whim, I apologize for statement earlier, my thinking and yours differ on this matter, given the millions of ak's in the world I just don't see this as a crucial matter, but I understand your point of view I just don't agree with it given the circumstances that made me make the decision I did.

You don't have to agree. You may even find some really ignorant person who would love to throw money at your abortion.

But I build AKs (and other gunsmithing) for a living, and have been doing so for over 20 years now. It is my opinion, based on my intimate knowledge of the subject, that nobody who knows what they're doing is going to have any interest in your abortion, other than for whatever scrap value is in the parts you didn't screw up.

detroit360
April 06, 2015, 18:33
the one you gunsmith to perfection will not function or shoot any better than my abortion,and that is a fact like it or not mister!!

gunplumber
April 06, 2015, 18:46
the one you gunsmith to perfection will not function or shoot any better than my abortion,and that is a fact like it or not mister!!

Good for you! You've accomplished in your first abortion what's taken me 20 years to be good enough to get people to pay me for.

Some of my Romy Gs. (none with weld instead of rivets).

http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com/notes/notes-finish/finish-metal/finish-metal-paint-2-06.jpg

Some Bulgys

http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com/notes/notes-finish/finish-wood/finish-wood-ak-2-02.jpg

detroit360
April 07, 2015, 02:39
very very nice, Im not knocking your expertise, there is know way to do that.

zacmp
April 07, 2015, 08:06
Bulgy pic at bottom...fifth from right...beautiful handguard...

detroit360
April 07, 2015, 18:56
I give!!!!!!!!!!!!