PDA

View Full Version : Colt's Anniversary 1911

cwo4uscgret
March 10, 2015, 21:03
I bought this from a friend in Texas who needed some funds. Its a Colt Tier III Anniversary Model 1911-2011. A clone of the issue 1911 of WWI. He also included a Colt Pistol Stand and a El Paso Saddlery US Marked 1916 Holster with hanger. It came with the exterior cardboard shipping box, white outer box, blue Colt box, with the inner replica "issue" box with copy of the original Government 1911 Manual.

http://iwantthatknife.com/Gallery/albums/newest-handguns/colt_box.jpg
http://iwantthatknife.com/Gallery/albums/newest-handguns/1911_left.jpg
http://iwantthatknife.com/Gallery/albums/newest-handguns/1911_right.jpg
http://iwantthatknife.com/Gallery/albums/newest-handguns/pon.jpg
http://iwantthatknife.com/Gallery/albums/newest-handguns/holstered.jpg
http://iwantthatknife.com/Gallery/albums/newest-handguns/holster_1.jpg

and just to see if you're paying attention; here's my summertime friend, Squirrely...just to remind me spring is around the corner...

http://iwantthatknife.com/Gallery/albums/newest-handguns/squirrely.jpg

rbgonoles
March 17, 2015, 19:59
That sure is purty...

L Haney
March 18, 2015, 04:19
The pistole is quite nice too!

sweetwine
March 18, 2015, 07:02
I have one of those! GREAT SHOOTER too! Most collectors don't like the roll marks but I think they look fine. Let us know how it shoots. BTW did you get the extra magazine and manual?

Topbanana
March 18, 2015, 08:15
Squirrel buddy! :whiskey:

Invictus77
March 18, 2015, 17:09
I have one and it is the only thing in my safes that I have not fired (the 1911, not a squirrel).

Not only is mine unfired, it has never even had the slide racked since it left the factory. I unwrapped it, held it by the grips, looked at it, wiped it down with liberal amounts of Hoppes, and wrapped it back up.

Quality guns are always a good investment that will never go down in value. A 100th anniversary edition of the iconic 1911 should hopefully have some real value (and/or real significance) for one of my grandkids someday off in the future.

D P Six
March 27, 2015, 22:10
I still regret that Colt's 100th anniversary gun was not based on the earliest Colt 1911's with appropriate rollmarks (without bulges around stampings), quality polishing and bluing, fireblued small parts and nice walnuts with double diamonds. I can't wait around for the next centennial.

Bawana jim
March 29, 2015, 20:10
I envy anyone who owns one of those... 1911s.:wink:

kmurphy
March 30, 2015, 18:16
I have a 01911WMK (WW1 re-issue, blued) that I snagged on the Files. Got it LNiB.

When I picked it up, I was with my grandpa when he was still alive. The place thought he had ordered it. The jerks were profilin' because they did not think I would be in to a pistol like that.

They were impressed with the packaging. Blue Box, and the smaller box with wax paper. I filled out the 4473, and told them I was going to shoot the shit out of it. They said I was stupid and would regret it ever after. :D, about right for my age at the time (27). I went and shot it a bunch. Even has a small scratch on the finish when I let a ham-fisted friend shoot it when he set it on top of another pistol. Never looked back.

Hard to notice the slight scratch when the cratered roll marks draw so much attention...

Maybe I can have the slide worked to clean up the roll marks. :biggrin:

Cant take it with ya.

When I am dead and gone someone else will own it anyway. At least they wont have the dilemma of "should I be the one to fire it", or "what if I scratch it". I actually kept the boxes because I thought they were neat.

The trigger for me buying it was when I was in Istanbul, a Turkish host was making fun of me. He thought it was funny that I was an American, and did not own a Colt 1911. He said even he had one. I was not a "real American".

CJF
April 02, 2015, 21:37
These are great looking and great shooters. Really nice trigger pull compared to my Springfield Arms 1911.

Look for one of the older Colt 22lr conversion units. All steel, blued steel. They look right at home on the anniversary Colt.

What do you think of the El Paso holster? Would you buy one again?

Invictus77
April 03, 2015, 05:35
a Turkish host was making fun of me. He thought it was funny that I was an American, and did not own a Colt 1911. He said even he had one. I was not a "real American".

well YEAH

:facepalm:

pjpjr
April 06, 2015, 09:25
I have one and it is the only thing in my safes that I have not fired (the 1911, not a squirrel).

Not only is mine unfired, it has never even had the slide racked since it left the factory. I unwrapped it, held it by the grips, looked at it, wiped it down with liberal amounts of Hoppes, and wrapped it back up.

Quality guns are always a good investment that will never go down in value. A 100th anniversary edition of the iconic 1911 should hopefully have some real value (and/or real significance) for one of my grandkids someday off in the future.
I agree with the quality guns can be a good investment general consensus but these pistols, as nice as they are don't have the collectible markets attention just yet........may never be "highly sought after" pistol either. Enjoy it for what it is......beautiful and a great shooter. Now is a great time to purge these as they are actually dropping in resale value in my neck of the woods. They will certainly stabilize in price soon and then it is a long journey to make anything on them.

jeffrey
April 06, 2015, 15:43
I have quite a thieving cartel of tree rats that think I put out sunflower seeds just for them. I keep a Daisy Red Rider bb gun to sting them in the ass when I catch them on my feeders.I think the black ones are a mutation of red tree rats, and all around here are greys, so I don't have any black ones. There is one , though, that has unusual yellow ears. That one is the smartest of the bunch. She has 6th sense that I am drawing a bead on her ass and skedaddles before I can shoot. She's the only one I've never plinked.

Regarding the Colt... I'd rather have one of those than any of the high dollar customs. I think they are meant to shoot, not hide away in the safe.But he who owns it gets to decide for himself.

Invictus77
April 06, 2015, 15:52
I have a "bushel basket" of Colt 1911 variations (and one Kimber) that do get shot. Some more than others, but all get shot occasionally if not routinely, except the one 100th Anniversary. That an one Colt AR are the only "safe queens" that I have stuffed in the back of one of the safes.

Retired Bum
April 23, 2015, 16:38
I could use some advice regarding the anniversary 1911. A LGS just got one of these in NIB and put a price of $1199 on it. I handled it this afternoon and now I am seriously considering buying this piece.

My main question is the price on this 1911 okay? I really have nothing to compare it against. Last December I purchased another .45 from the same shop. It was a S&W Model 1917 US Army made in 1917 and was in very good condition. A "real" World War One made Colt 1911 in excellent condition would go for big bucks and I am not inclined to spend that kind of money.

So do any of you think that $1200 plus sales tax is fair for the anniversary Colt?

And so it goes and maybe it will if I buy it.

The Retired One

Invictus77
April 23, 2015, 17:44
IMHO

That is a little steep but not crazy high. If you are buying it for a collectible it will be worth that and more in a few years. You will gain it back.

If you are buying it as a shooter, that is especially steep (you can get a Gold Cup for that money or maybe a little less), but maybe still worth it to you for bragging rights to have an anniversary model.

I have (as have most) overspent much more money for different things because "I want it".

What is it worth to you? That is the value.

Retired Bum
April 23, 2015, 18:19
No, I am not buying it as a shooter. I have seven M1911 pistols, five Colts and two S&W's that are shooters. It would be a safe queen just like that S&W M1917.

Got another question. Do all of the anniversary Colt 1911's have a serial number that has as the last four digits 1911? I looked at the photo of the pistol in the OP but it looks like the last digits were blurred.

And so it goes.

The Retired One

Invictus77
April 23, 2015, 19:04
Got another question. Do all of the anniversary Colt 1911's have a serial number that has as the last four digits 1911?

I had not heard or noticed that before, but mine does....

Retired Bum
April 23, 2015, 22:27
Thanks for the quick reply on the serial number. I figured that all the anniversary 1911's would have those last four digits but I wanted to make sure before I spend any money.

And so it goes.

The Retired One

Retired Bum
April 24, 2015, 14:52
So I went back to the LGS this afternoon and bought the anniversary Colt 1911. It is sitting next to my monitor as I type these words. Gotta get it on the inventory and then later this evening I will very carefully disassemble it and give it a good cleaning and then carefully lube it with BreakFree. I bought a good quality pistol rug to store it in. I don't keep guns in cardboard boxes and don't really have the room for a bunch of boxes in the safe.

I did some online research and saw prices all over the place. From a low of $1000 to a high of $1500 plus the usual shipping and FFL fees. So at $1200 I think that I did okay.

And so it goes and so it did out the door with me.

The Retired One

Alpha-17
April 25, 2015, 10:46
I picked up mine back in February via Bud's guns. Very nice, and well made gun. Not something I'd want to carry as a defensive handgun these days, but a cool collector's piece.

Invictus77
April 25, 2015, 10:48
So I went back to the LGS this afternoon .................... and so it did out the door with me.

And the "value" on that day was apparently $1,200. Good on ya mate !!

:cheers:

Retired Bum
April 25, 2015, 16:27
I disassembled the anniversary 1911 and I was pleasantly surprised to see that internally the frame and slide were somewhat more nicely finished than compared to the last Colt 1911 I purchased which was the 80 Series Delta Elite 10mm. The bore was a bit on the dirty side. I scrubbed it with a bronze bore blush and Hoppe's #9. The first dry patch I pushed through it came out with a lot of black crud. I wonder how many rounds were fired after the proving rounds. Now it looks squeaky clean except for a light coat of BreakFree.

After reassembly I wiped it down with a new silicone cloth and then into the pistol rug and into the safe. I shouldn't shoot this piece but the temptation is strong to do it. What was it Oscar Wilde said? Oh yes, I can resist everything but temptation. I have several boxes of handloaded 230 grain RNL which chrono's at 800 fps in my Sig P220. So if I succumb to temptation that is the load I will use.....

And so it goes.

The Retired One