PDA

View Full Version : 20 Gauge Auto for Sporting Clays

meltblown
March 07, 2015, 19:12
Mama wants to get out with me more and shoot. I did sporting clays one time and thought it my be something to try with her. However, I would need to spend some time with her just on a manual skeet launcher before. Any ideas for a decent shotgun that wouldn't break the bank. I shoot an A5 Belgian so nothing fancy for me either

SAFN49
March 07, 2015, 19:36
Used Remington 1100?

mpnv
March 07, 2015, 20:17
If "Mama" is interested in hanging out with you doing what you like to do...it doesn't really matter!!!:bow:

meltblown
March 07, 2015, 20:20
Used Remington 1100?

Thought that too, but looks like they are pricey

flopshot
March 07, 2015, 20:24
20 ga 1100 screw in chokes. clays will force her to make choices in shot and choke. that can be a good thing when trying to get someone involved in a new sport. i prefer the O/U as i like to keep my hulls but a new shooter could appreciate the milder auto. let us know when she beats your score. ;)

c0wb0y84
March 07, 2015, 21:22
Thought that too, but looks like they are pricey

No more so than any other 20 ga auto loader that's worth having. If lop is an issue may look at a youth 11-87.

okiefarmer
March 07, 2015, 22:15
Academy sells Yildiz (made in Turkey) O/U 20 ga with 5 chokes included for about $399 new. Laser etched going for that, genuine etching about $200 more I think. Lazer looks just fine. It's more like a youth model, I bought one for my better half too, and am still working on getting her out, but I gotta find time first. I shoot it when I get a chance, a nice handling shotgun. I load 3/4 oz reclaim in them, soft shooter for wimmins.

meltblown
March 07, 2015, 23:11
Thanks for the input. I hadn't shot a shotgun in over 20 years and hit about 35% of the clays. I'm just wondering if she could hit any. She can sit on a bench and blast the hell out of a bull with a scoped FAL at 100 yds when she is paying attention. Leading a target dunno

okiefarmer
March 08, 2015, 14:29
Sporting clays is a whole nuther animal than trap or even skeet. In both of those, birds are almost always on the same plane and path.

In a short sporting clays course of 50, it'll be thrown an average of 40-50 different perspective, you'll have a little redundancy. Rounds of 100, even more. It's a hoot though, I love it. I joined a club just to have unlimited shooting.

flopshot
March 08, 2015, 19:15
i agree with okie. clays is not the venue to learn the fine art of shotgunning. trap first, the skeet, then clays. a bit of dove hunting can't hurt either. take some time to shoot at large paper targets to demonstrate the pattern then explain the need for leading the target.

meltblown
March 08, 2015, 19:33
Yep, I need to check my pattern on paper. When I was a kid shooting the A5 I knew where it would shoot. Hence my crappy score of 35 or so 30 years later. At the end of 100 i was flenching and hurting like hell. My father got the gun in 53 and the spring and bronze regulator had never been changed out. It put a hurting on my ass. Changed all that out and shot a box through it and it was smooth as butter.

SAFN49
March 09, 2015, 11:48
I was on the lookout for a 20ga semi at the auction yesterday. There was only one. Franchi 48AL sold for $450

meltblown
June 28, 2015, 19:20
Back up. Went to BPS and checked out the 20 ga Weatherby, ala turkish made 24 inch barrel SA-08 youth model. They run about 450 once you pay the tax. Any thoughts? Has 3 chokes.

justashooter
June 30, 2015, 05:34
I was on the lookout for a 20ga semi at the auction yesterday. There was only one. Franchi 48AL sold for $450

I have a late 70's 48AL in 20 that I shot clays with recently. if anything the gun was too light in the nose for me. I would have done better with a double gun (more stable in follow thru). but then, it was the first time I shot it on a course, and I'm trained for an O/U 12 gauge.

they are light and low recoiling. if a person was to train on one a 48 would be very quick.