PDA

View Full Version : Fal Ergonomic Pistol grip from Israel (Fab Defense)

Bladewurk
March 03, 2015, 01:55
I haven't seen any of these yet on the Fal Files so a short review is in order and I will update after a month or so of use.
I just received and installed one of these. $28.98 Shipped.
Fab Defense Fal grip in Black Polymer. Also available in Olive Drab and Tan Desert color.
Purchased from the Zahal.org Ebay store, and shipped straight from Israel via Registered Mail. Received in 7 days so not bad on the shipping and communication was good.

First impressions:

1. The overall shape is good for my large hands. Much more handfilling and feels secure. Trigger reach feels improved over standard FN Fal grip. I was too choked up on the trigger before.

2. The plastic and build quality seems very good, about the same as current Magpul MOE. Not as nice as old 1st Gen Magpul though. The grip has some flashing near web of hand that could be easily trimmed or sanded. It doesn't really bother me though.
Feels very rigid. Better than a Tapco SAW grip but not as solid feeling as an FN Saw grip.

3. The angle is much more neutral and my wrist doesn't rub on the Para hinge now. That is worth the price of admission.

4. Texturing is just right. Not too rough but very secure.

5. Trapdoor is like the old A2 grip from Lone Star. Their are better designs now. I don't think it will last, the door lock plastic will probably break off .

6. Fit to my DSA Para lower was excellent.

Overall I would give it a solid 8 at this point. I like the overall feel and looks better than my SAW grips. Magpul needs to make one of these with a better compartment!

Regards-Blade

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg26/bladewurk/16878565-5BD3-446A-B5CD-EECBF26626B8_zpswzhbvufa.jpg (http://s244.photobucket.com/user/bladewurk/media/16878565-5BD3-446A-B5CD-EECBF26626B8_zpswzhbvufa.jpg.html)

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg26/bladewurk/578FABAA-57B9-46D3-BF76-000D044F9092_zpsieffnogu.jpg (http://s244.photobucket.com/user/bladewurk/media/578FABAA-57B9-46D3-BF76-000D044F9092_zpsieffnogu.jpg.html)

paulb2112
March 03, 2015, 06:58
I saw them on ebay and was waiting for reviews. Guess cant get hurt too bad at that price.

RetiredNSmilin308
March 03, 2015, 07:09
I always thought the originals had too much of a sweep to them for my liking. These look a little less.

Is there another source that you know for them other than ebay?

Bladewurk
March 03, 2015, 09:06
I always thought the originals had too much of a sweep to them for my liking. These look a little less.

zahal.org and you just order direct with no Ebay involvement.

Bladewurk
October 27, 2015, 17:40
Update: this grip is still giving good service. Compartment door has not snapped off! I'd still like to see Magpul or someone make a nicer one.

Regards-B

CivyBlue
October 27, 2015, 20:39
Actually have one of these in my eBay cart. The AR versions are very good so once I get a FAL version I'll report back

bigstick61
October 28, 2015, 01:56

The sweep on the plastic grips was intended to make the launching of rifle grenades less uncomfortable.

I'm using the FN grip for the SAW right now. I may try one of these and see how they compare in terms of feel.

Gribble
October 29, 2015, 20:07
I have one of these for a Vz. 58 and am satisfied with it. I would expect nothing different for this one.

hashash
July 21, 2016, 20:43
Nice to see I'm not the only one who bought one. Problem is, I can't get it to work on my L1A1. Any tips? There's no room for the trigger plunger, and the grip screw has nothing to thread in to.

Pluribus
July 21, 2016, 23:16
Nice to see I'm not the only one who bought one. Problem is, I can't get it to work on my L1A1. Any tips? There's no room for the trigger plunger, and the grip screw has nothing to thread in to.

The Fab is made for a Metric/Israeli lower receiver. The L1A1 inch or, Commonwealth lower has a different manner of attaching thus why the Fab will not fit your rifle in it's apparent configuration.

hashash
July 26, 2016, 22:27
The Fab is made for a Metric/Israeli lower receiver. The L1A1 inch or, Commonwealth lower has a different manner of attaching thus why the Fab will not fit your rifle in it's apparent configuration.

Yep. Ordered a new lower.

Pluribus
July 27, 2016, 12:16

You may have zeroing problems with a metric lower on an inch/Commonwealth set-up with an inch front sight/barrel as the sighting plane of the two types of sights are different dimensionally. Likely to shoot high with an inch front, metric rear.

YMMV

Study up here, there are many, many discussions on the board here about this very thing.

EPC WN
July 27, 2016, 15:18

Is this grip that good? I mean a whole new lower to use a particular grip?

EPC WN
August 06, 2016, 20:01
I bit. 27.98 shipped. Replaced a SAW grip. Sooooooooooooooo worth it! Yes, I would replace a lower to use this grip.