PDA

View Full Version : Cylinder rubs frame when open

Cossack
February 27, 2015, 19:26
I took a chance on buying a S&W 681 on gunbroker and ended up getting one with a few issues. It's uncommon, so I was willing to take a bit of a chance, considering the price was decent. Anyway, I figured that these L-Frames were pretty indestructible...

I think this gun was someone's magnum workhorse. It has noticeable, but not alarming, flame cutting on the topstrap. There's a bit of endshake.

One of the most bothering problems is that the cylinder rubs on the frame right above the trigger. There's a bit of a wear mark on the frame and another on the cylinder, and you can even feel it drag a bit.

Is there anything to be done about this? I was already thinking of getting some endshake bearings - might they also help with the drag problem by holding the cylinder more firmly?

How bad a problem is this, other than cosmetic? The revolver functions fine and shoots well.

L Haney
February 27, 2015, 20:10
I hope you got a really good price on that revolver. I really hope you did.

Cossack
February 27, 2015, 20:26
Not as good as I should have...

SAFN49
February 27, 2015, 21:13
Send it to http://www.cylinder-slide.com/index.php?app=ccp0&ns=catshow&ref=SWREV2 See what they say. If they can't fix it no one can.

Gazz
February 28, 2015, 08:49
Or try sending it back to the factory for a rebuild.