PDA

View Full Version : Keltec KSG shotgun

gunnut1
February 23, 2015, 00:27
Does anyone have an information of these things? I am seriously thinking about getting one but I have heard good and bad.

DYNOMIKE
February 23, 2015, 11:06
Don't have time right now to find the posts but I have posted several times RE: These Shotguns..

In short I would rather have almost anything...

K. Funk
February 23, 2015, 20:01
I have one that I won at a banquet. I am waiting for the next panic so I can sell it for $3k along with the Sub-2000.

krf

Jaxxas
February 23, 2015, 21:29
Does anyone have an information of these things? I am seriously thinking about getting one but I have heard good and bad.

I find them infinitely interesting, if you get one post a review!

gunnut1
February 23, 2015, 21:58
Thanks guys! Y'all are no help at all!! Sheesh! :facepalm:

Mike I did read your review. Like most of the reviews I have read, you did not like the loading system. Anything else? I have read that it was the first generation guns that had the feeding and trigger reset problems. I figure if I work with the gun long enough, I can figure out the loading procedure and maybe get pretty good at it.

This shotty will not be used for home defense. I have an 870 for that. I just think they are cool and I do shoot an informal three gun once in while. But, I also don't want to buy a POS I can't use for the three gun or anything else.

Invictus77
February 23, 2015, 22:07
My two cents....

A "friend of a friend" brought one to my range a year or two ago. It had feed problems which "he said" was the first time ever after hundreds or rounds.

The guy with the Keltec was also one of the biggest douchebags I have ever met and will not be allowed back on my range for reasons completely unrelated to the Keltec. I throw this in as my opinion may be jaded by the owner.

Short version:
I would not have one. I do have four 870s now, each with specific purposes, and would buy another 870 today if I found a bargain :)

YMMV

Bubacus
February 24, 2015, 07:23
I just handled one the other day and they are very compact actually..I just hear the can be a bear to clear with a difficult jam.

DYNOMIKE
February 24, 2015, 10:31
Thanks guys! Y'all are no help at all!! Sheesh! :facepalm:

Mike I did read your review. Like most of the reviews I have read, you did not like the loading system. Anything else? I have read that it was the first generation guns that had the feeding and trigger reset problems. I figure if I work with the gun long enough, I can figure out the loading procedure and maybe get pretty good at it.

This shotty will not be used for home defense. I have an 870 for that. I just think they are cool and I do shoot an informal three gun once in while. But, I also don't want to buy a POS I can't use for the three gun or anything else.

IMO the biggest issue is the potential for a jamb and the difficulty in clearing it.. Probably better to throw it down and pick up a stick if you get a jamb..
Another issue is the difficulty in topping off or adding rounds.. Fergeta-bout-it..

I think it could be one of the worst options out there for 3-gun, especially since a Rem 870 or Mossy 500/590 w/extended tube are so good.
If you want to run 3-gun with a Pump that's cool (it's all I ever used) but I damn sure wouldn't do it w that POS Keltec...

You want 3-Gun FUN use a SAIGA.. That's FUN and they actually work..

ByrnieMac
February 24, 2015, 22:23
A good buddy of mine brought his KSG up to my house a little while back; IIRC, there were quite a few failure to feeds. He had a sight mark holo sight on it, and it was definitely fun to shoot, but I wouldn't spend the money on one.

I'm glad I got to have some trigger time with one, and it DID put a smile on my face, but at the end of the day... My final word is to rent, not buy.
http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg492/Byrnie_Mac/IMG_20140906_192120679_zpsjimatahl.jpg (http://s1240.photobucket.com/user/Byrnie_Mac/media/IMG_20140906_192120679_zpsjimatahl.jpg.html)

Invictus77
February 24, 2015, 22:28
it DID put a smile on my face, but at the end of the day... My final word is to rent, not buy.

Same for boats, airplanes, and girls if you think about it....

gunnut1
February 25, 2015, 01:51
IMO the biggest issue is the potential for a jamb and the difficulty in clearing it.. Probably better to throw it down and pick up a stick if you get a jamb..
Another issue is the difficulty in topping off or adding rounds.. Fergeta-bout-it..

I think it could be one of the worst options out there for 3-gun, especially since a Rem 870 or Mossy 500/590 w/extended tube are so good.
If you want to run 3-gun with a Pump that's cool (it's all I ever used) but I damn sure wouldn't do it w that POS Keltec...

You want 3-Gun FUN use a SAIGA.. That's FUN and they actually work..

Thanks Mike. Due to where my club is located, our three gun is done with 22 rifles and pistol and of course a shotty.

Why can't you top off the mag tubes?

I would love to have a Saiga if I could find on cheap enough.

gunnut1
February 25, 2015, 01:53
A good buddy of mine brought his KSG up to my house a little while back; IIRC, there were quite a few failure to feeds. He had a sight mark holo sight on it, and it was definitely fun to shoot, but I wouldn't spend the money on one.

I'm glad I got to have some trigger time with one, and it DID put a smile on my face, but at the end of the day... My final word is to rent, not buy.
http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg492/Byrnie_Mac/IMG_20140906_192120679_zpsjimatahl.jpg (http://s1240.photobucket.com/user/Byrnie_Mac/media/IMG_20140906_192120679_zpsjimatahl.jpg.html)

Were the failure to feed due to short stroking? I have read that it takes a good hard backward stroke to get it to feed properly.

nopec
February 25, 2015, 20:57
If you want a tactical shotgun, I cannot say enough good things about the Mossberg 930 SPX. Runs with any ammo. Patterns nicely with both cheap and high end buckshot. The federal truball slugs group beautifully.

thatguy
February 25, 2015, 21:17
Like most of Keltecs guns, good concept, but unfortunately executed by Keltec. If Keltec had built FALs, we wouldn't be here today.

DYNOMIKE
February 26, 2015, 09:54
Thanks Mike. Due to where my club is located, our three gun is done with 22 rifles and pistol and of course a shotty.

Why can't you top off the mag tubes?

I would love to have a Saiga if I could find on cheap enough.

It's just the way it's designed, you have to choose the tube you want to load and move the selector accordingly, it's retarded..

Find a SAIGA or use a traditional Pump w/an extension tube if needed.
I have heard good things about the Mossy Auto Loader too BTW..

You can load and or top off an 870 (for example) Ten times faster the that POS Keltec.. Like I said run it dry then throw it down and use something else..
The ONLY thing the Keltec can do that is somewhat interesting is by using the two tubes you can have two diff ammo types in the same gun.. Simply move the selector and choose Buck or Slug, or whatever combo you want..

Even so truth is with a sidesaddle on an 870 or 590, or, ETC.. you can throw a slug or buck in the chamber just as fast as you can select the tube on the Keltec.

Were the failure to feed due to short stroking? I have read that it takes a good hard backward stroke to get it to feed properly.

That's just what al the guys that wasted their $$ on this POS want you to believe.. It's inherently difficult for someone that spends $$ on something to admit it's a fuckingturd.. Especially when these things where going for CRAZY $$ not all that long ago..

While certainly failures can come from short stroking (even an 870) IMO most of these are more likely caused by the design.. You can dress it up and take away the smell but it's still a turd..

W.E.G.
February 26, 2015, 10:13
I already have a shotgun.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/shotguns/ithaca37easyridershotgun.jpg

gunnut1
February 26, 2015, 18:46
Well shoot! I already have an 870, can't stand Mossy anything. Seen too many of them break.

I guess I will pass. But it sure is a cool looking shotty.

ByrnieMac
February 26, 2015, 20:04
Same for boats, airplanes, and girls if you think about it....

If it floats, flies, or f ucks...

Eh, I don't know about that. I mean, I guess it's possible, but I wasn't being gentle with it. I have never short stroked in the past, but the shoot with the KSG we a quite a while ago and isn't fresh in my mind anymore. I can't be certain either way.

Invictus77
February 26, 2015, 20:17
I already have an 870, can't stand Mossy anything. Seen too many of them break.

:cheers:

c0wb0y84
February 26, 2015, 20:49
What about the DP-12? I mean other than it being exclusive to Cheaper Than Dirt (but price gouged in a panic)!:facepalm::skull::afrojoint::rofl:

http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2015/1/20/dp-12-double-barrel-pump-action-shotgun/

Interesting concept none-the-less.

homelandprotector
February 27, 2015, 16:56
Get a Mos 930 JM Pro...... It's one mean puppy and on my want list, Cabelas has em for around $600. :cool:

Or the 930.... 4" shorter barrel.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_6CBKUM9gk8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QOUUzGvHm1E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

c0wb0y84
February 27, 2015, 20:28
Get a Mos 930 JM Pro...... It's one mean puppy and on my want list, Cabelas has em for around $600. :cool:

Or the 930.... 4" shorter barrel.

Know a guy that was drooling all over the JM 930 and picked one up from PSA last month when they were selling them for $540 and in less than a month he wants to sell it. I don't really remember why he said. I'll have to pay more attention next time I talk to him.

W.E.G.
February 27, 2015, 20:43
I think a lot of people buy stuff just for sport.

Like I said... I've already got a shotgun.

saltydecimator
March 04, 2015, 12:40
too much recoil and too much cost...

saiga 12 kushnapup if it hasnt been mentioned...

gunnut1
March 05, 2015, 04:15
What about the DP-12? I mean other than it being exclusive to Cheaper Than Dirt (but price gouged in a panic)!:facepalm::skull::afrojoint::rofl:

http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2015/1/20/dp-12-double-barrel-pump-action-shotgun/

Interesting concept none-the-less.

Too high and I refuse to do business with Cheaper Than Dirt. I was a loyal customer until they pulled the price gouging stunt of doubling the price on ammo after Sandy Hook.
Now they have moved and I have no idea where the retail store is. It was about 10 minutes from my house.

gunnut1
March 05, 2015, 04:17
After listening to you guys and reading many, many scathing bad reviews about the KSG, I changed my mind. I ended up with a Tikka T3 lite in .270. She is sweet!

DYNOMIKE
March 05, 2015, 10:04
After listening to you guys and reading many, many scathing bad reviews about the KSG, I changed my mind. I ended up with a Tikka T3 lite in .270. She is sweet!

Hmmmmm, from a goofy shotgun to a center fire rifle in .270 no less???
Man you went in an entirely diff direction...
Pretty much made this discussion a total waste..

gunnut1
March 05, 2015, 11:21
Wasted discussion? Not really. I received a lot of information about the KSG from you guys.

The fact is this, I really didn't know what I wanted. The KSG was just a whim and I am glad I listened to you guys. My wife had given me a Cabela's gift card for my birthday and I got my annual reimbursement check from the range and had some she money that was burning a hole in my pocket. I didn't really need anything. So I started on a quest to buy something I did not have. That is when the thought of the KSG came to me. After you guys dissuaded me, I started looking for something else. Then I said to myself "Self, you do not own a sporting rifle so I think it is high time you got one." OK so I started looking and I had settled on a Remy 700 in .270. Why .270? I don't know. I guess it is because I have a 6.8 AR and a good stock of bullets. I was also looking at the Browning A-bolt in .270. So we went to Cabela's and they were out of stock on both the Remy and the Browning in .270. But the did have the Tikka. I knew nothing about Tikka quality until the sales guy told me they were made by Sako. I know Sako quality. So I bought the Tikka T2 in .270 and a Nikon Scope to put on it. Took it to the range and shot about 30 rounds thru it. I discovered a problem with the scope and had to take it back to get an exchange. Got the new scope mounted no I just have to wait for the ice and snow to melt so I can get back to the range.

And that is the story of how I went from wanting a crazy shotgun to buying a center fire rifle. :biggrin:

DYNOMIKE
March 05, 2015, 13:48
Well I do like TIKKA rifles, I suspect it will shoot very well..