Artful
February 14, 2015, 23:55
http://imgur.com/gallery/j8Bcp/
:facepalm:
I'd be a little unhappy with my Toyota Dealer

AliYahu
February 15, 2015, 00:14
I'd be a little unhappy with my Toyota Dealer

You're dealing with technicians, not mechanics. They're just doing what the book told them to!

Eli

FALonious
February 15, 2015, 01:16
I love his last line:
(Ha! Suck it! You work again you freakin golf cart!)

Never had any interest in a hybrid.
I have gotten 40 mpg or better since 1993 with my lil Festiva. 210,000 + and still giving me everything I ask of it.

L Haney
February 15, 2015, 08:23
Bare copper on the buss bars.

They wanted this thing to fail.

cabinetman
February 16, 2015, 13:37
Those bus bars look incredibly thin. Are they supposed to also act as a fusible link in a dead short situation? Seems to me that they would be about 1/8" thick bar stock instead of what appears to be as thin as a penny.

Good for you!

Rome

cabinetman
February 17, 2015, 08:30
Hope the OP gets to read this.

I had dinner last night with a regional tech rep for VW who lives here in Connecticut. He's responsible for making sure the techs are all up to speed on the latest technology and also resolves issues between customers and VW over service issues. Over dinner I recounted your experience with the battery situation and asked him if his techs would do what the OP did: remove and clean the bus bars. He said "no". As a matter of fact, he said that none of the techs for any of the hybrid makers including VW AND Toyota are forbidden to address ANY specific issues with the battery tray, period. The battery tray is to be removed and replaced with a new one. He said that the both VW and Toyota have decided that it's too dangerous for their Technicians to try to resolve battery problems so they are forbidden to do so.

In your case, then, their assessment that the batteries were at fault would require a full replacement, period, and the cost would have been pretty steep although the warrantee follows the car, not the owner.

He also told me that some of the higher-end hybrids could cost as much as $19,000 for a replacement. Seems to me , then, that not far into the future we'll be finding a lot of hybrids for sale for little or nothing because of the cost of the batteries. In your case it was $4500 bucks.

Just thought I'd share that.

Rome

Artful
February 17, 2015, 10:37
Rome thanks for posting that - I'll pass that to other forums where I posted the link I found.

Jolly Rodgers
February 17, 2015, 11:16
I had dinner last night with a regional tech rep for VW who lives here in Connecticut. He's responsible for making sure the techs are all up to speed on the latest technology and also resolves issues between customers and VW over service issues. Over dinner I recounted your experience with the battery situation and asked him if his techs would do what the OP did: remove and clean the bus bars. He said "no". As a matter of fact, he said that none of the techs for any of the hybrid makers including VW AND Toyota are forbidden to address ANY specific issues with the battery tray, period. The battery tray is to be removed and replaced with a new one. He said that the both VW and Toyota have decided that it's too dangerous for their Technicians to try to resolve battery problems so they are forbidden to do so.
Rome

Sounds like a problem just begging for a free market solution.

M829A3
February 17, 2015, 12:16
It's a liability thing. One slip and you have a 4000 amp direct short with fire and explosion shortly thereafter.

OMR_RDTandE
February 17, 2015, 15:54
Sounds like a problem just begging for a free market solution.

Sometimes Big Business just makes a stupid decision that ends up with them leaving piles of money on the table. HP could have OWNED the whole laser cartridge recycling business, but instead tried to ban the use of recycled cartridges in their printers. In an attempt to control short term profits, they lost sight of the huge profits to be made recycling. In the long run, Toyota would make much more money if they had a subsidiary rebuilding and refurbishing these battery trays.

L Haney
February 17, 2015, 16:07
It's a liability thing. One slip and you have a 4000 amp direct short with fire and explosion shortly thereafter.

You'd have to go end to end on the pack to do that. Tens of thousands of electricians work every day and they aren't burning down plants and homes.

And most of 'em are just adequate at the job.

Maybe ASE needs to get their dick skin on teaching some automotive techs basic DC theory.

Stranger
February 17, 2015, 16:31

No, its a making money on service and parts thing.

Not saying its a bad thing. Lots of industries do it all the time, but they won't be making money off of me from it.

garandguy10
February 17, 2015, 16:46
Repairing hybrid battery packs is, for the time being, a cottage industry, shortly it will be big business.

Sgt_Gold
February 18, 2015, 08:15
I used to work for a company that sold and serviced deep cycle rechargeable battery packs for avation and portable medical equipment. When the used packs came back on rotation, we rebuilt them in exactly the same way the guy in the linked thread did. It was labor intensive, but the batteries last a long long time when properly maintained. My guess is the dealership doesn't want the warranty liability of servicing the battery pack and then associated issues involved with the electronics of the vehicle.

FALonious
February 18, 2015, 10:13
Anyone know what kind of mpg's these things get just on gas?
Without the battery/hybrid part.

djginwis
February 18, 2015, 14:54
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FsVjKewl_U

JAB75
February 18, 2015, 16:13
Locally, there is a dealer that has been blowing out used Prius...I think he is on to this scheme and making mucho dinero!

-JAB75

RG Coburn
February 18, 2015, 16:39
Gotta wonder how many people believed their Toyota dealer and forked out the $4400.00....
If this car is in that stage of corroded terminals,so are many,many others.
I might have been tempted to tin them while I had them out.