PDA

View Full Version : Who likes a 7mm Rem Mag?

splattermatic
February 14, 2015, 07:17
I got tired of the kick and blast of my 300 rum, so I thought I would load it down. 91 grains of powder brought it down to @3300 fps with a 168 ttsx. I have a 300 wsm that can do that with 68 grains of powder.
So I thought why??
I wanted to rebarrel....
Thought of a 264wm, but have a 257 weatherby. So short of a 300 wm, a 7 mag fits.
I have 3 other 7mm caliber rifles and like them so I thought why not a 7 mag?
Bought a stainless fluted unfired take off, the switch happened.
So far I like it. Im running 160 gr accubonds at 3000 fps and little groups.
Hope to get a cow elk tag this season and see how it performs.

Lets get some chatter going!

Sagerider
February 14, 2015, 10:34
Hard to beat a 7mm Remington Magnum for an all around high power bolt rifle. There is some sort of aerodynamic magic about a 7mm projectile but just what and why I can't remember. I used to be a .25-06 fan some years ago and the bullet drop at 6" at 300 yards and zeroed at 200 was the same for my 7mm Remington Magnum.

The Remington is a flat shooting cartridge with plenty of mussel for anything on this continent in my opinion with the possible exception of Kodiac and Polar bears, maybe. With the right bullet even these bears might be on the menu. I have never hunted bears so what do I know about bear hunting anyway.

My one and only cow elk I got with a 7mm Remington Magnum and that will be the last elk I will most likely go after with this round and here is why. I hit her a little high just behind the right front shoulder about mid body vertically. The bullet passed cleanly through from one side to the other. The entire right shoulder was bloodshot, ruined. Range was at about at 100+yards and she was running, not full out but trotting briskly. It did not put her down but she stopped like she hit a red light. A head shot finished her and she went down like a lead brick after that of course. I found out about the blood shot shoulder when I picked up the packaged meat from the butcher. He asked me what I shot it with and I told him and he said "thought so because the whole right shoulder was blood shot", with a somewhat disgusted look on his face.

The saving grace of the 7mm Remington Magnum is it can really reach out there. For elk or deer since then and in the future I will stick with my .308 mountain rifle at about 6 pounds. For goats either speed goats or mountain the 7mm Remington Magnum would be the rifle of choice due to the ranges most likely to be encountered. Other than that the .308 is plenty for me.

Don't get me wrong about the 7mm Remington Magnum. It is a great tool and does a good job if you need it like using a bigger hammer. Guys that use 300 magnums or .338 magnums are using a really big hammer. My little .308 ball peen does anything I need for a general all around hunting rifle but for a long range flat shooting rifle the 7mm Remington Magnum is the cats ass.

Of the two I have I like my Ruger 77 best because it is lighter than the Weatherby Vangard walnut stocked unit which pays off while slugging up and down the mountains out here in Montana. Even though both are walnut stocked the Ruger is noticeably lighter. Both rifles have manageable recoil so that is not an issue for me even with my bum shoulder, motorcycle crash in my dumb ass younger days. A heavy load in my .45-70 Winchester High Wall will put the hurt on me after a few rounds down range but the 7mm Remington Magnum is no problem.
My 2 cents. :)

ALL FAL
February 14, 2015, 13:35
I have an 7mag, remmy 700 with express sights that is nice, will put in the MKT for someone who wants a nice one, at a very Fair price.

Sorry Splattermatic, my bad, but I really don't need to hunt Antelope and don't see well enough for the open sights now, I love the flat shooting of the 7mag too, scoped they would be reaching way on out there for bad guy's, kinda like a poor guys Lapua.

hueyville
February 17, 2015, 02:52
Purchased this used with half dozen rounds or so fired from original box. Took to range and shot better than expected but not as good as wanted. Intent was acquire just for the action and stock. Decided to do an semi-custom. Took to my favorite riflesmith who machined just enough off rear of barrel to recut chamber with match reamer. Threaded and installed one of his proprietary muzzle brakes. Removed sights, did some cosmetic work then sent to BlackStar then to be cryofozen.

He trued receiver, reinstalled barrel, hand lapped bolt to fit with near perfect engagement. Rebedded action to stock and got a nice clean float on the barrel. Did a slick trigger job, installed Leupold bases and rings. All the metal was refinished in a propietary ceramic finish he uses. Lapped the rings, installed a large Leupold scope and put it all back together. Other than scope, mount and rings, the only non factory part is muzzle brake he makes himself.

Went back to the range to find it shot almost all holes touching at 100 but slightly better groups at 200 yards than 100. At 300 about the same as 200 then slowly began to open up from 400 to 600. Asked him why and he spouted a bunch of mumbo jumbo physics above my pay grade that basically meant, once a good 7mm mag rifle/load combo passes about 150 yards the bullet settles down and runs on a rail out to about 400 where loss of velocity and wind starts to creep in. On deer/man size target I would not hesitate to take a 600 yard shot with full expectation of dropping either with first round as rifle shoots true with a cold bore or warmed up. He has done another half dozen rifles for me in similar manner. A few he inspected and said had to have new barrel or more. But the half dozen factory semi-customs all do more than I can really ask of them. It needs a brother before my riflesmith retires.

http://www.crowderinc.com/images/guns/rifles/remington_700_7mm_mag01.jpg

splattermatic
February 17, 2015, 08:54
Life for this action started as a classic in 8mm Rem Mag.
Receiver was trued up by my now passed mad machinists buddy, and a 300 RUM barrel installed. Was a fantastic itty bitty group shooter. On one of the fal filer's elk hunts, it/I took a cow elk at 762 yards.
Those annual hunts came to an end and the rifle pretty much sat, shooting paper and gongs only.
I love what I had put together but started hating the kick and blast off the bench.
In my today life, I had no practical use for it anymore.
A full custom 280ai, took over for all things 4 footed.
Had a brain fart to make it more shootable. Hence the 7 mag.
The barrels shoulder was cut back so the writing and flutes timed correctly, and chamber recut. Didn't have to do anything else since it was an identical barrel profile swap.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v631/splattermatic/20140609_133043_zpsvvdkx1uv.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/splattermatic/media/20140609_133043_zpsvvdkx1uv.jpg.html)
Not a great pic, but the finished product.

splattermatic
February 17, 2015, 09:10
After reaching a target velocity of 3000 fps with 160 gr. Nosler Accubonds, I started tweaking the seating depth.
The left side is 0.020 off the trifling, and the right side is 0.030 off.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v631/splattermatic/20140619_125853_zpsdp7fny89.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/splattermatic/media/20140619_125853_zpsdp7fny89.jpg.html)
I now have about 200 loaded rounds loaded and ready to play.
Went to JBM Ballistics, put in my info and printed the data.
Ill get to the range one of these days and confirm dope to 1000 yards.
It shoots flat enough to only take 1 full revolution, plus 2 clicks to take it to 700.

As for your gunsmith saying some mumbo jumbo about 7mm bullets becoming unstable at distance, he's full of shit.
Many factors result in poor LR accuracy. Its not the bullets until they go back subsonic at great distance depending of started speed and bc's and sd's.

A 7 mag is not a super whiz bang cartridge and in some circles, has a poor following.
I chose to keep a custom gun enjoyable to shoot and not "rust" away, forgotten.
Heck, my little 7-08, shooting 140 gr accubonds can smack 400 meter gongs every shot with a 6x scope.
Its not the bullets or the bore size!

juanni
February 18, 2015, 11:32
I think the biggest factor in ideal caliber and gun choice is how and where you hunt.

I backpack and hunt well off the roads, on public land and weight means a lot as does a gun that is rugged and easier to maneuver through the entanglements.
Likewise, I never see deer and elk at 400 plus yards because you rarely can see 400 plus yards with the rough terrain and trees.
And the dumb bulls and bucks that would be out in the open, in daylight were culled by hunting pressure many generations ago.

You can see into openings on the other side of canyons, but that is 1000 yards or more.

As such I have little use for heavy, long barreled, big optic magnums.
A lightweight 30-06 or 270 is more than enough.

.............juanni

splattermatic
February 18, 2015, 13:22
Wish that were the case here.
Long, cross canyon, shots are the norm here.

But, got your scenario covered too, with an all up n runnin, 6 pound 13 oz., 7-08.

hagar
February 18, 2015, 13:40
I'm a big 7mm fan as well. It does everything that the .300's can and have better long range ballistics, quite a bit better. A 162 Amax will have a higher velocity at 1000 yards than any .308 Winchester at 600, even Palma rifles launching 155's at 3000 feet/sec.

If you need bigger than a 7mm, go to the 338's.

splattermatic
February 18, 2015, 14:20
let me find a pic of my 338 RUM!!!

Invictus77
February 18, 2015, 14:32
I'm a big 7mm fan as well. It does everything that the .300's can and have better long range ballistics, quite a bit better.

Interesting. I am semi-looking for a "big" Model 70 and was thinking 7mm Mag or 300 Win Mag. From what I have seen they are very similar ballistics with the 300 being a little faster out of the gate, but I have no real experience with either. Am I reading your post correct that the 7MM has better long range than the 300WM? Can you clarify this thought please? Thanks in advance.

splattermatic
February 18, 2015, 15:01
The .284 bore bullets, have a better bc and sd, then .308.

Look up some ballistic's and you'll see.
It takes a heavier .308 bullet, to get close to lighter .284 bullets.

hagar
February 18, 2015, 15:14
I don't know how fast you can drive a 300 Win, let's say 2900 with a 180 grain Sierra Matchking. Velocity at 1000 yards will be around 1410 feet/sec.

The 162 Amax launched at 3100 feet/sec will still be going at over 1800 feet/sec and have more energy than the 300 Win. Out of my 26 inch Sendero I think it is going a little faster than that.

This is calculated for shooting on an 80 degree day with 60% humidity at 800 feet elevation.

For hunting it is academic, nobody needs to hunt elk or anything but varmints and bad guys at 1000 yards.

Fn/form
February 22, 2015, 14:00
I think 7mag is really loud. :p

Check out all the hoopla on the 6.5 SAUM 4S.

I think you done real good.