PDA

View Full Version : Looking at new/used 1911s

marcosfal
February 05, 2015, 14:08
I had bought a RIA GI 1911 and was extremely pleased with it. I had it for a couple of years and never had any issues with it. It shot after being dropped in the dirt and just wiped off. I ended up selling it because I just had to have a new Gen 4 19. Well, so far the Glock is great. It just doesn't feel the same as the 1911.
I'm looking for a 1911 and am more concerned with reliability than looks or being super accurate. What do you guys think is a good model or brand to look for? I could probably get the RIA back no problem for the same or less money. Is there a brand or model that I should look for? What's the best for the price? I don't mind spending to get quality. I just don't want to spend needlessly when there may be values I don't know about.

fnogger
February 05, 2015, 14:37
RIA now offers a 1911-45 and -22 together in a combo kit. Unlike the other 1911-22s out there (GSG, Sig, Colt/Umarex) they actually use a steel slide, the steel frame, etc. I've got a RIA GI model and a GSG 1911-22, I'd trade them both in a heartbeat for the new combo kit, esp. if I could "upgrade" to the tactical version for the better sights.

hardass
February 05, 2015, 16:37
I think you answered your own question.

Get your inexpensive, reliable, RIA back for the same or less money.

Spend the money you would have spent buying something else and buy more ammo.
Shoot it, Be happy ...Life is Good...:smile:

marcosfal
February 05, 2015, 16:52
Good deal. Thanks guys.

catmguy445
February 05, 2015, 19:01
You might also want to check out Auto Ordnance. They have 1911's that are a duplicate of the 1911A1 of WWII available with either parkerized or blued finish, and a stainless model with all the current bells and whistles. Prices start at $588 MSRP for the blued model, and go up to $866 for the stainless combat model. The retail at your local gun shop would probably be about $100-$150 less than the MSRP. And I think that the Auto Ordnance 1911's are made in the USA, but I couldn't swear to that in court.

At any rate, the prices look decent, and the guns are probably better than people are giving them credit for. Might be worth looking into.

N4KVE
February 06, 2015, 10:06
Many of those supposedly USA made 1911's are actually made in the Philippines by Armscor, the parent company of Rock Island. They also make some of the parts for some USA assembled guns. I carry a Rock Island compact 45. Great gun. Paid $400, but then found out there was a $50 rebate which I received. GARY

def90
February 26, 2015, 23:16
https://www.1911addicts.com/threads/buyers-guide-for-all-you-1911-addicts.511/

nearmisses
February 28, 2015, 14:12
I like the Metro Arms line of Philipeno 1911's The slides get gaudy and look like a billboard but they shoot nice and come in all flavors and sizes to tempt anyone. They even have a Compact Commander now. Download the catalog here if you want to see them. Any of the Phil guns can benefit from a good Wolfe recoil spring. A set of Crimson Trace laser grips and some XS Big Dot tritium sights, but that's just me maybe.
https://americanclassic.eagleimportsinc.com/americanclassic/firearms/

Heat
March 25, 2015, 22:51
RIA/Armscor--cant go wrong. I like Para myself but found out that 1. the QC is a shambles 2. Remington bought them and now is destroying the brand. There is always KIMBER!!

CivyBlue
March 26, 2015, 18:00
My $0.02, can't go wrong with a RIA 1911. I bought my future father in law one and he absolutely loves the thing. Smoothest shooting 1911 I've ever shot, even smoother then my .40

I'm even jealous now.:facepalm:

legion489
May 01, 2015, 17:08
Shooters Arms (Century). Sure they are Phil., but not made by Armscor or RIA. The one I got had the BEST trigger pull of any off the shelf 1911 I've seen and beat nearly every custom 1911 I've seen too. It also worked right out of the box, with a list of names of people who worked on it and signed off on their work. Beat the SNOT out of the Kimber I bought at TWICE the price!

The Kimber needed a trigger job just to pull the trigger (NOT KIDDING!), extractor (no hooks cut), complete deburr inside (and I mean COMPLETE!), new mags (Every Kimber mags I've seen has been junk), the list goes on. The Kimber also has to be kept in an oil bath or it rusts as you watch (also NOT KIDDING!).

If you are thinking of buying a Kimber, buy TWO Shooters Arms and you you will be four times as happy! First you will have TWO WORKING handguns, second you won't have to rebuild it to get it to work, and three, you get to rub the Kimber 1911 owners' nose in you have TWO 1911s that are better! 2 guns + no extra work needed + better pistols= 4 times as happy!