PDA

View Full Version : S&W stamping Errors???

K. Funk
February 02, 2015, 20:01
I was at an auction on Saturday that had a Smith & Wesson N pre-fix Model 57 pinned and recessed .41 Mag. Inside the yoke on the frame it was clearly stamped "67" instead of "57", there was no mistaking it. Would something like this bring a premium to a collector? It went for about $600.

krf

tdb59
February 02, 2015, 20:06
It went for about $600.

The marking would not make much difference.

It went cheap, unless it was a beater.

K. Funk
February 02, 2015, 20:28
It was actually pretty nice, 4" minimal wear, Pachmayr grips.

krf

FUUN063
February 03, 2015, 02:11
I would have bid it up to at least $200.00 more if it was in excellent condition. I have had at least two misstamped N frame Smith and Wesson's in the last 10 years or so. Both were stamped as being 29' when in fact they were NIB Model 28's. I thought that they might bring a premium at some point and held them to bring a little more than normal. They did not fetch anyone's attention due to the misstamping and a few actually offered information something such as they sold a lot more 29's than 28's and simply grabbed off the line when the other model had more frames available to get the finished product out the door and to the customer. There was a time when you could not hardly get a Smith and some settled for a Ruger or other such big bore of the day.

Leland
:fal:

richbug
February 03, 2015, 10:36
When I purchased my 610 many years ago, the dealer had another(box, papers, barrel etching, behind crane, indicated 610-2), but it had a .44 cylinder and barrel. He wanted an absurd amount of money for it(like an extra grand).