View Full Version : glock trigger reset issue. unsafe?

February 01, 2015, 12:23
My wife has been having an issue on her glock 42, with the trigger not resetting sometimes.
Occasionally, the trigger will not reset when chambering a round.
I have tried repeatedly but cannot duplicate the issue, it will however, repeat occasionally when she chambers a round.

**Only happens when chambering a round on an empty and decocked gun, first round only.

I have seen nothing done wrong but, Could there be any user error causing this?

Am i right in assuming that all internal safeties are disabled when trigger is back?

If the trigger stays back when chambering a round, is there any chance of gun firing as slide slams home?

We are new to glocks and striker fired pistols. Experts chime in please.

February 01, 2015, 12:52
Usually if it only happens when only one person is operating the gun, it is that person that is the problem

Watch her closely.

Has she had a discharge upon the slide going into battery?

Finger on the trigger?

The Glock striker can fall if you apply pressure to the trigger when it is in near-full battery. Usually, there is no discharge. Eventually there will be.

February 01, 2015, 14:22
Is it clean? Has it been disassembled for cleaning and reassembled? Is she pulling the slide all the way back when chambering a round and releasing it with her finger outside the trigger guard?

February 01, 2015, 15:41
Possibly the trigger bar the trigger bar or firing pin defective.

Slide comes forward, and the front of the firing pin dogleg hits the back of the cruciform (the t shaped thing). This pushes the trigger forward.

Has your gun been modified? If the dogleg on the firing pin is too short, or the upward angle of the cruciform too low, it can miss.

I'm also speculating that an incorrect connector could mess with the return angle. Gen III and IV don't interchange. And I don't have a spec sheet on a 42, but possibly it uses a unique connector and any aftermarket 1-1/2 pound for another model may be problematic.

There is an armorer part - an orange half height "inspection slide cover plate" (you can duplicate by cutting a factory one in half). Installing this and try cycling will allow you to view the relationship of the dogleg and cruciform.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-e_3Ihpq9T4?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

February 01, 2015, 17:20
Thanks for the replies

No discharges going into battery, but this is what I am concerned might happen.

I have watched her rack the slide and chamber a round closely. Her finger is clear of the trigger guard, and she is pulling the slide all the way back before releasing it. At times tho it appears that her trigger finger rides on the slide lock (takedown). I do not know how this could cause a problem tho.

The gun was purchased new and has not been modified in any way.
It was field stripped and cleaned before shooting, but has not been detail stripped down to bare frame.

I can try a complete takedown to inspect the firing pin, dogleg and connector for any signs of breakage. I suppose if i cant see anything obvious, i may have to try making an "inspection slide cover" plate. Not sure I'm even exactly sure what I'm looking at tho. Im sure seeing it will make more sense.

I want to try to rule out user error before I assume defect, since i cannot duplicate the issue.
My biggest fear is AD when slide slams shut

February 01, 2015, 17:26
Hollywood says don't put any "Buck Rogers shit" on your Glock.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/EJkSQgz7828" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

February 01, 2015, 17:30
yeah.. definitely gonna leave it bone stock

February 01, 2015, 17:58
If the dogleg on the firing pin is too short, or the upward angle of the cruciform too low, it can miss.

Ok this makes sense. Now i know what im looking for if i can make or buy a plate to look inside.

Im noticing that the trigger bar seems to be kinda gritty against the inside of the frame when i manually move it with my finger. Not sure if this makes a difference once the slide is on.