PDA

View Full Version : CZ452 American ?

yovinny
January 31, 2015, 08:42
Well worth $359. NIB ?

I dont NEED another 22 bolt, I just got a ruger that I havent even shot yet, but these are nice rifles and discontinued now.
Besides, at that price, it's about equivalent to mounting a good barrel on a 10/22.

Tell me why I need one of these :tongue:

TIA
Cheers, YV

LYCAN
January 31, 2015, 08:49
Dont need or want, but would buy it out of principle - for that price

MAINER
January 31, 2015, 10:23
1, It's a precision bullet drill.
2, It will never be priced that low again.
3, You will regret NOT buying it.
4, It is a man's rifle.
5, It has wood.

Need more? :D

fnogger
January 31, 2015, 14:23
Hardcore dedicated following on rimfirecentral - and that is a *very* good price

paulo
January 31, 2015, 15:01
Because, that's why.
If you don't buy it send me the info and I will.

Pluribus
January 31, 2015, 18:37
Well worth $359. NIB ?Tell me why I need one of these :tongue:

TIA
Cheers, YV

1)Because you don't have one.

2)You apparrently want one.

3)It would be really nice to have one because, they're really nice rifles.

4)It's not a 10/22.

5)What a good price!

I could go on, ya' know?

tac-40
January 31, 2015, 19:53
I have some very nice 22 rifles and would get rid of every once EXCEPT mine. That thing is scary accurate with every type of 22 ammo I've run through it. Plus it is man sized, not one of things that are more for kids than adults.

Tuhlmann
January 31, 2015, 22:34
If you have to ask, then you already know the answer. Stop pussyfooting around and succumb to the inevitable.........

Stay calm, focus, and enjoy the ride. This is the fun part!

ftierson
February 01, 2015, 00:35
Pretty much everything has been said.

I am very happy with mine.

You haven't picked it up yet?

:)

Forrest

yovinny
February 01, 2015, 09:15
Yea,,,,I drove up yesterday afternoon with ever intention of buying a pair and a few extra mags....
Have to do a pair with the boy and all,,,,otherwise he'll just lay claim to mine anyway :|

I was disappointed and ended up passing on them.
Exterior fit and finish were nice, but internal machining seemed lacking. What really turned me off was the bolts and safety's were VERY rough and sticky. I tried both of the samples they had out and they were both the same. I dont know if this was the end of the model batch and they stretched out the tooling or what, but internal machining looked rough. It was all you could to pull the bolt back after it unlocked and the safety felt about the same,,, plus it was loud enough to put down every squirrel in the county...
The wood while walnut, was uninspiring and about as plain as could be and still be walnut. Stock checkering looked fuzzy to me, plus 2 extra mags would have added damn near another C note.

The potential was there and I could have spent some time stoning out the issues, but they just didn't inspire me at all.
Oh, and just for the record, the price was $369.99ea

The trip wasent a complete loss, as I did come home with 4 cases (20,000) Remmy primers at $80. a case.
Best price I've seen on US made primers in years :biggrin:

For those who want to know, Whittakers in KY has them on special. Their the biggest gunstore in KY and bring in traffic from all the neighboring states. Their under an hour away and have a web site I keep an eye on for specials.

Link; http://www.whittakerguns.com/product/cz-452-american-22lr

Edited; Do NOT expect them to look like the wood in that link,,,,Their not even close.

Cheers, YV

Tuhlmann
February 01, 2015, 12:00
That's a shame. My 455 is fit and finished in a manner that should embarrass rifles costing 4-5x as much.

gunplumber
February 01, 2015, 16:20
years ago, I bought one of the Euro-style stocked ones, with the obnoxious ladder rear sight.

I removed the rear sight and turned down the barrel band to match the barrel profile, and chopped the barrel to 16". With a 4x Burris it is really nice, especially for colibris - quieter than an air rifle.

With the introduction of the American style stock, I think it is a superb choice in .22 LR.

Still don't love the 5 rd mag, but I can live with it.

kmurphy
February 01, 2015, 21:38
I like my 453 in .17 so much I need to get one in .22LR.

aquaman
February 03, 2015, 13:24
I ordered a CZ 452 American today despite Yo Vinny's sketchy review regarding poor machining and finish flaws. And thanks for the heads up YV.

Hope it turns out ok, I'm rolling the dice and dealing with the consequences when the rifle gets here. The kid who took my order said they had quite a few in stock if anyone was wondering.

I also ordered the weaver 4-16x42 V-16 AO Scope from Natchez. At $210, I consider it a great value optic. Does anyone know the best rings for this set up?

I'd like the scope as low as possible with adequate clearance of the barrel and bolt.

~Thanks!

yovinny
February 04, 2015, 09:07
I ordered a CZ 452 American today despite Yo Vinny's sketchy review regarding poor machining and finish flaws. And thanks for the heads up YV.

Hope it turns out ok, I'm rolling the dice and dealing with the consequences when the rifle gets here. The kid who took my order said they had quite a few in stock if anyone was wondering.

I also ordered the weaver 4-16x42 V-16 AO Scope from Natchez. At $210, I consider it a great value optic. Does anyone know the best rings for this set up?

I'd like the scope as low as possible with adequate clearance of the barrel and bolt.

~Thanks!

My pleasure and I wish you the best of luck.
Hope your happy with it and please let us know how the one you get is.

I noticed no 'finish flaws', in fact the finish looked good, both wood and metal.
What turned me off was the rough internal machining and how hard and sticky both the bolt and safety worked.
Plus I was expecting much nicer wood,,,Not the light color, bleached looking, plain jane walnut that the 2 samples they had out wore.

Cheers, YV

MAINER
February 04, 2015, 09:19
Your CZ will need 11mm rings. Warne and BKL Technologies make good ones.
Not sure exactly what height you will need with your 42mm Obj., but there is a "sticky" at Rimfire Central that may helpful.
I like the Warne's and don't have experience with the BKL, but the reviews are good and cost less than Warne.
http://www.bkltech.com/1inch-Scope-Rings-and-Mounts-for-3-8-and-11mm-Dovetail-s/57.htm

If your scope is over 11" in length, you might have to remove the rear sight to get a low scope mount.

Hope you give us a review of your 452, I'm betting it will be good. I would have liked to order one, but another .22 Bolt gun wouldn't fill any holes in my collection.

aquaman
February 11, 2015, 02:27
I put my order in Tuesday and the rifle arrived at my FFL today. 1 week shipping to Washington state isn't too bad. The rifle was packed well and was super saturated with gun oil.

The stock is very nice with dark stained walnut. CZ Absolutely does a fine job with the czecking and accents. I suppose it would be satisfying to sit and marvel at the finish while waiting for the next ground squirrel to pop up. She's a sexy lady. The bluing looks great too.

The trigger is awesome and easy to adjust with a 1/4" wrench. I have the adjustment set as light as possible. It has a very nice crisp trigger, I like it! From what I've read, it's very simple to improve/lighten the trigger further if need be.

No doubt YoVinny is accurate with his assessment on the bolt action and the safety. The bolt is rough and noisy out of the box. I applied a small amount of grease and worked it a few hundred times. It was quiet and smooth with grease. When I removed the grease, it was noisy and gritty again. Even with copious amounts of oil. Still not horrible, just average. And average stands out when everything else about the rifle is outstanding .

The safety takes some effort to engage and disengage. Also noisy.... Certainly Not a big deal as far as I'm concerned, but a person who's constantly fidgeting with the safety on/off could have a hard time perhaps.

All that really matters to me is consistant accuracy. I'll mount the scope tomorrow, and let you all know. I've not read a complaint about accuracy with the CZ so I hope it does well. Such a beautiful looking rifle... And what a sweet. Trigger!

paulo
February 11, 2015, 05:55
Your bolt will get better over time.

Tibodoe
February 11, 2015, 08:14
I handled a 455 at the LGS yesterday. The finish was very nice
And the bolt was very smooth straight out of the box.
$389 was the asking price. I kind of want a 452 because no longer
Produced, just not sure if it is that much better than the 455.

yovinny
February 11, 2015, 12:42
The stock is very nice with dark stained walnut.

WOW,,, I'm really glad you got a nice dark one and are so happy with it :bow:

The wood on the 2 samples they had out were a very light gray and turned me off completely....I probably should have looked into some of the boxed ones...Oh well, next time.

Cheers, YV

aquaman
February 13, 2015, 01:02
Here's a photo of the CZ if anyone is interested. I hope to do some shooting soon! I wanted to get out today but my day went haywire.

http://i1256.photobucket.com/albums/ii494/zAquaman/th_imagejpg1_zps9b3be228.jpg (http://s1256.photobucket.com/user/zAquaman/media/imagejpg1_zps9b3be228.jpg.html)

I got the Weaver V16 scope mounted. It's higher than I would like so I'll probably fiddle around and blow $$$ trying to find the right rings.

Tibodoe
February 13, 2015, 09:46
Here's a photo of the CZ if anyone is interested. I hope to do some shooting soon! I wanted to get out today but my day went haywire.

http://i1256.photobucket.com/albums/ii494/zAquaman/th_imagejpg1_zps9b3be228.jpg (http://s1256.photobucket.com/user/zAquaman/media/imagejpg1_zps9b3be228.jpg.html)

I got the Weaver V16 scope mounted. It's higher than I would like so I'll probably fiddle around and blow $$$ trying to find the right rings.

Boy, she is pretty!
How does the action feel?
You are making me want to give them a call.

aquaman
February 13, 2015, 10:39
Boy, she is pretty!
How does the action feel?
You are making me want to give them a call.

I took some time and did some minor polishing on mating surfaces. There were some tool marks that were easy to deal with. It's now smooth and quiet. Generally this is not a bolt with tight tolerances. Don't be tempted to do too much. Dremmel wizards be warned.

I'll report on accuracy, but I gotta tell ya I'm not at all happy with limited ring selection situation. I really hate scopes that are mounted needlessly high. The scope axis and bore axis ought to be as close as possible. Then there is the cheek weld. These oddball 11mm dovetails are a huge handicap in my opinion.

In my experience, a good trigger and cheek weld are arguably the two most important components of shooting.

aquaman
February 15, 2015, 01:15
I made it to the range for a half day today. A sort of first date Happy valentines between the new CZ and me. This rifle Groups sub MOA (barely) at 100 yards with sand bags and primo ammo. 1.5" to 2" with cheap-o ammo.

This is an impressive rifle. My first 5 shot groups were at 20 yards to get the scope on paper. My heart was leaping at the sight of single ragged hole type groups... But that was 20 yards.

At 100 yards the shortcomings of the ammo and shooter are well demonstrated. I didn't have the best control having guys with muzzle brakes on either side of me (nice excuse right?) so there were a few flyers. By the way, any tips on dealing with foggy safety glasses?

The only issue I had was that on three occasions the last round in the five round magazine got hung up and didn't load. Definitely a magazine issue and not a bolt issue.

The weaver V-16 AO is absolutely a superior optic for the $. It was easy to see the .22 hole at 100 yards. The AO focus was right in line with yardage printed on the objective. There was clarity throughout the variable power range. Windage and elevation adjustments are accurate and without Lash.

J. Armstrong
February 15, 2015, 08:45
Now if I could just find something this nice in a left hand. Anyone know of any ?

paulo
February 15, 2015, 08:59
CZ make left hand rifles. Tibadoe, go for the 452.

aquaman
February 15, 2015, 09:33
Now if I could just find something this nice in a left hand. Anyone know of any ?

CZ 452 American for Lefties (http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-452-american-22-lr-5-rd-mag-left-hand/)

J. Armstrong
February 15, 2015, 11:35
GREAT !

Thanks for the link !!

Tailback
February 16, 2015, 14:45
I think when the time comes, I'm buying a CZ 452 American combo (.22 and .17 barrels included) for my nephews' first rifle. Get them started on bolt action and iron sights before buying them each their own 10/22's.

MAINER
February 17, 2015, 09:48
I think when the time comes, I'm buying a CZ 452 American combo (.22 and .17 barrels included) for my nephews' first rifle. Get them started on bolt action and iron sights before buying them each their own 10/22's.

I think the time has already come. The 452 has been discontinued, being replaced by the Model 455. Some say the new is not as good as the old. Haven't seen the 455 myself so don't know what is different.

MK ULTRA
February 17, 2015, 23:17
what model 22 caliber c z has the shorter thicker barrel? Is that the 453? Curious. I always liked that one. I have a 10 yr old CZ452 I bought new.

Tailback
February 18, 2015, 23:06
You're correct. I got the model numbers wrong. The 455 is available in the "American Combo Package" which includes .17 and .22 quick change barrels.

I think the time has already come. The 452 has been discontinued, being replaced by the Model 455. Some say the new is not as good as the old. Haven't seen the 455 myself so don't know what is different.

nightschneider
February 19, 2015, 16:44
The barrel profile isn't dictated by the model number with CZ - the 453 was a 452 with a single set trigger - both were available in 'varmint' profile barrel.

The 455 is more modular, and is available in numerous barrel lengths, and profiles; though not available in a single set trigger model.

toys
February 19, 2015, 22:03
the 455 is suppose to be simpler to mfg and less parts.

also, an fyi, whittakers has a special order of 452 americans in. Don't know if they will be ordering more.

J. Armstrong
May 02, 2015, 10:25
Finally got back to PA and picked up my 452 left hand, and I'm very pleased so far. Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but the wood and checkering is very nice. general fit and finish very good +. The action started out a bit rough, but just working it a couple of hundred times helped a lot to the point where I would call it good. May do a little gentle clean up on the remaining internal tooling marks. Trigger is excellent.

Just installed a Leupold 4x I had around - more power than I prefer but it was just laying around looking for a home, so........ Warne rings put the scope about as low as possible without interfering with the bolt throw - still a little tight but fine after a little practice.

The bass-ackwards safety is weird, but not really a big deal.

Can't wait to shoot the critter !!

fnogger
May 02, 2015, 12:38
You're correct. I got the model numbers wrong. The 455 is available in the "American Combo Package" which includes .17 and .22 quick change barrels.

Any of the 455s can swap barrels. Picked up a 455 Varmint last week and while I've put only 75 rounds through it my average groups are around 1.25 MOA. Using SK Std+ and the scope off my 10/22 build. Didn't even clean it - just checked barrel for obstructions, put in the single shot adapter and started shooting. 5 rounds to get mostly zeroed at 25 yards, moved out to 50 yards, and shots 6-10 gave me a honest MOA group.

CZ 455 Varmint from Buds - $411 if you mail 'em a USPS MO, I got mine 8 days after I dropped the MO in the mail

$25 xfer and bg phone call

DIP 11mm -> weaver adapter - $20ish

Single shot adapter (cz brand but from DIP) - $20ish

Brick of SK Std+ from champchoice.com - $76 delivered

Re: the OP passing on the 452s due to roughness. Yes, a little rough out of the box but nothing a few hundred cycles while watching TV won't fix.