PDA

View Full Version : UNITED STATES PROPERTY .38/200 from 1942

MJ1
January 26, 2015, 18:48
...............:biggrin:.................

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v130/montereyjack/IMG_8969_zpsac745c26.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v130/montereyjack/IMG_8972_zps2e9b330c.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v130/montereyjack/IMG_8973_zps8e1a50a1.jpg

Nice strong pistol but it might be on the liquidation list..:facepalm:

hairygreek
January 26, 2015, 18:55
Are those grips original? Very nice handgun, looks hardly used.

Retired Bum
January 26, 2015, 19:05
Now that is one decent looking Victory Model. Every .38/200 Victory I've seen was covered with British proof marks and stamped Not England Made. That piece almost certainly has to be an early production from 1942 at the latest. I say that because in early 1942 the US War Department gave S&W a contract for Victory Models. These were chambered for the .38 Special cartridge and had four inch barrels. S&W produced something like 1,000,000 plus Victory Models during the war with 300,000 of them in .38 Special.

The US Navy received 250,000 of them and they are marked "US Navy" on the top strap next to the rear sight groove. The other 50,000 .38 Spl Victories went to the US Gov't owned Defense Supply Corporation which supplied them to other gov't agencies, federal, state, and local. I have one of the DSC Victories that was shipped from S&W in Nov/Dec 1943 to the DSC and then transferred to the Office of Strategic Services aka the OSS. This is per info from the Victory Model expert on the S&W Forum.

I am still looking for a decent .38/200 Victory but the supply of them around here has apparently dried up some time ago.

Take good care of that US Property marked Victory. It would be a crime to see it end up in the wrong hands and get "converted" to a .38 Special.

And so it goes.

The Retired One

PauloB
January 26, 2015, 21:32
Very nice wheelgun! I love those older Smiths.

jdmcomp
January 27, 2015, 08:03
My reading of the Smith early V models for England was that the Light Rifle that S&W developed for the Brits was such a failure that the Brits demanded a refund which S&W could not do as they were bankrupt or almost at that point. S&W traded the V models in 38/200 caliber in place of the Light Rifles. I have of couple of them and they are wonderful pistols, as well as the later lend lease which yours is due to the POUS markings. If you do decide to Liquidate this one let me know.

MJ1
February 04, 2015, 15:25
I will keep you offer in mind. Some one sent me a PM with a $150 offer, think I will keep a bit longer...:facepalm:

jshema
February 10, 2015, 05:24
Is that a parkerized finish or is it the matte bluing that they did? I have one that is blued, but not US property marked and no British markings.

Retired Bum
February 10, 2015, 18:36
The finish on the Victory Model in the OP appears to be a phosphate aka Parkerized finish. Smith & Wesson called this finish "Black Magic" for some reason unknown to me.

The color can range from a light grey to an very dark grey. My .38 Special Victory is a very dark grey almost black in appearance.

And so it goes.

The Retired One