PDA

View Full Version : Optics Planet

Mad Dog 7.62
January 19, 2015, 22:12
Several weeks ago I ordered a Vortex Viper HS LR scope from Optics Planet. They had a 10% off deal going and I got a good price on the scope so I was happy with the price. I immediately got an e-mail, followed by a phone call, saying "Hey we don't have that model in stock right now, but we have this other one that's similar". Yep, but its $300 more, so I told them I would be happy to wait the week they stated for the model I ordered. I kind of felt at the time like they really didn't want to honor their price and wanted to push me to the more expensive one, but I am not in a hurry.

Well, today I get another phone call and e-mail from them. Now they say they cannot get that model from Vortex at all because they are "no longer making it". Again, they want me to buy the more much more expensive model they recommend. I check the Vortex web site and the model I ordered is still listed, and other vendors are still carrying it. Something smells fishy in Denmark to me. I cannot imagine Vortex would suddenly discontinue the scope and leave their dealers with unfilled orders hanging. When I ask the rep about this, he stutters and says "well they are probably just making a production change to the scope."

Left me with a bad feeling about Optics Planet. The whole deal just seemed fishy and I got the feeling they just did not want to honor the price and coupon they offered. I won't be ordering from them again.

Just checked....they are still offering the scope I ordered for sale on their website......wtf???

RetiredNSmilin308
January 19, 2015, 22:53
the old classic, BAIT & SWITCH.

Just mention to them that it is free to file a complaint against them with the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) for lying on the internet, in print, and not honoring their sales pitch that they made in print.

Also get the names of the people you talk to on the phone and mention that too.

You will get one shipped to you that day.

IN THEIR DEFENCE:

Sometimes overzealous sales people offer too much price cuts that can mess up the bottom line. I am sure they jumped back from their offers and prices like stepping in quicksand once they found out how bad they screwed themselves and are now doing damage control by doing the old BAIT & SWITCH to recover the losses.

In the meeting where they discussed how to handle the situation, be confident they have agreed to honor the screw deal they made to squeaky wheels and switch the others.

Be the squeaky wheel that makes them honor their offer.

Then you can have the joy of honor & offer all night long...you know the joke.

Dave

Jaxxas
January 19, 2015, 23:21
Bought many times from Optics Planet, myself and a number of friends, other than being a little slow to ship never had an issue.

YMMV

Beckman
January 19, 2015, 23:28
Although it sounds as though they are being less than fully honorable, their written policy states:

http://www.opticsplanet.com/our-policy.html

Pricing & Availability

Accuracy of Information

Pricing and availability are subject to change without notice. OpticsPlanet has no liability in the case of any orders arising from typographical errors or incorrect pricing and reserves the right to cancel any orders without assigning any reasons. Further, OpticsPlanet reserves the right to revoke any offer and correct any omission, error, or inaccuracy, whether or not a quotation or order has been submitted, confirmed and/or your credit card charged. Every effort has been made to ensure accuracy of information listed and OpticsPlanet is not responsible for any errors, omissions or inaccuracies contained therein.

Despite whatever policy they may write, they should still do the right thing and honor their offer -- and you can tell them that I said so!

RetiredNSmilin308
January 20, 2015, 02:45
Although it sounds as though they are being less than fully honorable, their written policy states:

http://www.opticsplanet.com/our-policy.html

Despite whatever policy they may write, they should still do the right thing and honor their offer -- and you can tell them that I said so!

That little blurb will not hold up in a court of law if a customer cares to make a big deal out of it.

...but who the heck wants to pay an attorney thousands of dollars to get it that far. How can they prove they were " damaged " by them upping the price a bit.

I lover Optics Planet and have also done repeat business with them. I got a scope just four days ago from them.

However, I think the OP needs to let the FTC fight the good fight for him. They have a bigger hammer. An FTC investigator will laugh and throw their "policy" right back in their face.

In the OP's case, $350 is no minor price adjustment because it is not even the same item. It is a complete above board BAIT & SWITCH.

Let them know that you are a member of a forum and much more eyes than yours are following your issue.

They win because most people give up the fight or do not know who to let do the fighting for them.

One company in Nebraska HAD to hire me back and give me back pay for the time I was not working because I let the NE Employment Commission do my fighting for me.

Turns out I was in a protected class. I had no idea a fat, bald middle aged white guy was in a protected class. I thought it was OK for the whole world to hate us. NOPE, not the case.

OP....stick to your guns if it that important. Some times the fight is not worth the reward at all.

Mad Dog 7.62
January 20, 2015, 03:21
Its not that important. I already ordered another scope....off E-Bay none the less! But I will not be doing business with Optics Planet again in the future.

Stranger
January 20, 2015, 10:21
That is disconcerting news. I have been doing business with Optics Planet for eight years now and have purchased many thousands of dollars worth of gear from them. I have never had an issue with them. Hopefully, they aren't getting lax in their business practices.

djfin
January 20, 2015, 12:34
[QUOTE=RetiredNSmilin308;3983261]That little blurb will not hold up in a court of law if a customer cares to make a big deal out of it.

As an owner of my own business for a little over thirty years now I can state from experience that "that little blub" will hold up in a court of law. It has on several occasions for me. That disclaimer was more than likely written by a lawyer not someone who thinks he is on the internet. I use a similar statement on my web site and all printed ads. Suppliers do raise prices without notice to me and products do get backordered and shipped at a new higher prices. I do try to make all of my customers happy within reason but I am not in business to lose money