PDA

View Full Version : G3 Builders ?

LRRP7.62
January 15, 2015, 18:21
Is there anyone here who builds G3 semi-auto clone rifles for others ? I don't have the skills nor the tools so I'd need to pay someone to build a rifle for me. I have some parts but not all and if I can't find someone then I won't bother buying the rest of the parts needed.

I know ghillibear is first rate but wanted to have more options in case he has a long backlog. Thanks for any help in advance.

Spenny
January 15, 2015, 18:54
I'd check out gunplumber, over at ArizonaResponseSystems.com

Even if he's half the wizard at G3s that he is with FALs, you're going to have quite the rifle when you're done.

douglas
January 15, 2015, 19:03
Here is an earlier post about H @ K builders.
http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=370871

Jayson at IGF built my 91 clone.

Member ce built one in his barn and posted a how to do it a few years back. After looking at his pictures and knowing my lack of skills, I sent my pile of parts off to Jayson and a couple of months later received an outstanding rifle. Would of been cheaper just to buy a PTR-91 , but that primo FMP kit was too nice not to bring back to life.

gunplumber
January 15, 2015, 19:48
good = long backlog.

You can read what I offer here, but until I get caught up, it's probably best I not take in any new HK work.

http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com/smith/page-smith.shtml

LRRP7.62
January 16, 2015, 14:37
Thanks for all of the help guys. It may be a couple of months before I have all of the parts for a build. I just happened across some NOS HK parts I had cached away years ago in a ammo can. When I found them I figured I'd see who was building these rifles now and either buy the rest of the parts or sell what I have. I think I'll buy some more parts as I can and have someone build me a quality rifle. I'll check with gunplumber when the time comes, maybe he'll be caught up.:beer:

gunplumber
January 16, 2015, 14:41
Unless there is some specific configuration you seek, it's not economically sound to build one - not when a fairly decent PTR-91 can be had for $1000.

nwobhm
January 16, 2015, 15:09
...Atlantic Firearms had a sale going last week for $799. IIRC it was a standard tapered 18" PTR-91 model with green furniture. CDNN ran a sale on the PTR wood classics with 10 mags, scope, mount & sling for $899.

keiser
January 16, 2015, 15:33
Unless there is some specific configuration you seek, it's not economically sound to build one - not when a fairly decent PTR-91 can be had for $1000.

That may be but your builds are works of art and well worth the extra money. :bow:

K.O.A.M.
January 16, 2015, 16:22
As an owner of a GP G3 build, I can tell you they're works of art. It's easily as nice as my factory HK 91.

LRRP7.62
January 16, 2015, 17:33

My German made parts are superior to PTR so I would rather have one built using a PTR receiver.

Sampson1986
January 16, 2015, 17:46

Absolutely true.

I have over $1500 in my AZEX built G3 clone. Damn fine work by Derek.

My PTR GI does the same job for a lot less.

maurice05
January 20, 2015, 22:45
I had one built by Ghilliebear the only advantage for me having One built vs buying one off the shelf was the fact that I didn't have a thousand plus dollars to spend at one time but it was easier to buy a parts kit and then assemble the remaining parts and then have it build that was fine for my budget I was able to stretch it out over a year but at today's current values it's cheaper to buy unless you're in the same circumstances i was in

shortround
January 21, 2015, 18:50
I had BIG50 do a couple for me. Couldn't be happier. Don't know if he still takes in work.

Grinder
January 21, 2015, 21:35
I had BIG50 do a couple for me. Couldn't be happier. Don't know if he still takes in work.

+1

N4KVE
January 23, 2015, 12:16
My German made parts are superior to PTR so I would rather have one built using a PTR receiver.While this true of current PTR guns, the older JLD guns were built with mostly imported parts. I feel my JLD gun ser# A30xx is as good as anything a quality builder offers today. But, I didn't require anything special, except that my gun has the shorter barrel, with the 93 hand guard. GARY

chauncey
February 10, 2015, 18:41
with GP willing to take a pass on accepting more HK builds I can make a recommendation without trampling on his customer base (I hold his work in high regard)

I have several HK builds in 7.62x51 and 5.56x45 done by Ghilliebear (aka Jeff walters) on PTR (762) and SW (556) receivers.

Jeff does nice work, his builds operate very well and he is easy to deal with. so with a nod to the quality of work by GP, I would recommend you at least talk to Jeff Walters before deciding on your builder.

GP is correct that from a basic numbers standpoint builds don't make sense vs. a basic PTR rifle, but IMO when you go with a quality builder like GP or Jeff you are getting a better weapon in the end. I would trust my life to a Ghilliebear (or GP build). I can't say that about everything that has been made by PTR

emcroy
February 10, 2015, 22:07
Jeff built me a nice G3, and it's 100%! He keeps costs down on the finish! If I remember correctly he said he used Norell's moly resin! This has not been a durable finish! The rifle has never malfed and gap is at .18 after many rounds!

tywest
February 11, 2015, 07:41
My German made parts are superior to PTR so I would rather have one built using a PTR receiver.

ok so this is easy......swap your parts into the ptr rifle you buy, set headspace, and then sell the ptr parts.

not a hard rifle to build/just takes the tools or ingenuity but I know everyone and thier momma is backlogged these days so I think the above with what you have is your best bet for the moment.

shortround
February 11, 2015, 19:33
ok so this is easy......swap your parts into the ptr rifle you buy, set headspace, and then sell the ptr parts.

not a hard rifle to build/just takes the tools or ingenuity but I know everyone and thier momma is backlogged these days so I think the above with what you have is your best bet for the moment.

Let's see you do that with the barrel and trunnion.

And you don't set headspace on the HKs, you set bolt gap.

Do you even know what is required for a build? Yeah, I thought not.

tywest
February 12, 2015, 08:40
Let's see you do that with the barrel and trunnion.

And you don't set headspace on the HKs, you set bolt gap.

Do you even know what is required for a build? Yeah, I thought not.

someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed.

You assume and well you know how that goes

To answer your question though i do and i have and i did it all by my wittle self.

But your right bolt gap, but for most people headspace is the easiest thing to relate to it even though its not the same.

PS, you can swap a barrel.....give me a rifle and ill dare a trunnion with you :rofl::rofl:

partisan50
February 15, 2015, 16:33
I keep fighting the urge to buy a stripped receiver, parts kit and build a 51K.

March 07, 2015, 02:48
Talk to ghilliebear. He built a G3 for me that I love! Turn-around is decent, quality excellent and communication and just ease of dealing with him is outstanding! I can't say enough good things about him!

Blackwing
March 23, 2015, 22:24
Jeff's turn around on builds can be as little as two weeks. He uses HK black Gunkote finish.