PDA

View Full Version : An interesting comparison CB caps VS 22 pellets sound-wise

RetiredNSmilin308
January 11, 2015, 15:48
While I was breaking in my new pellet rifle, I was noticing the db level of it's report was pretty loud. I also remember shooting CB caps in my old Remmy 514 and they were suprizingly quiet.

So....:whistling:

I thought I would do a side by side comparison using my sweetheart as a judge.

CONDITIONS: Nasty, cold and wet outside, so I just opened up the backdoor and shot out into the backyard at a stump, but I stayed in the living room.

GUNS:
Remington 550-1
RWS Diana Model 460 T-06 Magnum

AMMO:
CCI CB 22 Short 29 gr lead round nose. These are what I have always called CB caps.
Crossman 22 caliber pointed Premium grade lead pellets. I looked all over for a grain weight but it was not on the little 175 round screw tin anywhere.

Sweetheart said the report from the pellet rifle was NOTICABLY louder than the CB caps. I noticed a great difference too.

I wish I had a Db meter so I could give you all some numbers.

OK, that being said and also given the pellet rifle is slow to reload, I am thinking it's use would be for whatever you would want to use a single shot 22 for. Actually a single shot 22 is quicker to reload than my under barrel cocker pellet rifle.

Once it is cocked you still have to push a lever on the top of it into it's forward position for the spring to stay back. PLUS the safety is automatically ON with each reload, so then you have to switch that to the FIRE position too.

I am sure the pellet rifle will be awesome once I get a scope on it and also can chronograph the velocity to throws those little pills out.

For now though, I think I have to treat it as a very loud single shot rifle that is extremely cheap to feed.

Heck, that is why I bought it in the first place.

As far as hunting small game goes, though, it does not hold a candle to the 550-1. That guy shoots anything those CB caps in semi auto mode very quickly. It could make the difference in two rabbits or just one.

Dazed and Confused
January 11, 2015, 20:54
I've noticed the same thing.

I used to have a little Mossberg .22 bolt action carbine. It was quieter with the CB Shorts than my sons .177 BB gun, Daisy 880.

I used it mostly to dispatch feral cats with. Long ago and far away...

fnogger
January 12, 2015, 08:33
Strangely, in my Mossberg 44US-C w/ 26" barrel, the CCI Quiet ammo (40grn at 710fps per box) is quieter than CCI 22 Short CB caps (29grn at 710fps per box). The CB caps get quieter out of my Browning SA-22 chambered for "22 short smokeless". Weird.

gunplumber
January 12, 2015, 10:23
Colibris are even quieter than CBs.

hagar
January 12, 2015, 14:28
I have an RWS .177 caliber #48, that thing is almost as loud as my 10/22 with .22 full speed ammo. I have long since started using the 10/22 with subsonics or CB caps for a little "wet work" around the house to terminate with prejudice a few possums, squirrels and one particularly nasty cat.

Bubacus
January 13, 2015, 10:18
Aguila Colibri and Super Colibri in my Rossi pump gun makes for a quiet combo for short range shooting. My Beeman Grizzly X2 is loud as hell for a pellet gun. Not quite as loud as a .22 LR, but noticibly loud.

This is an interesting test...You can zip up to the 2 minute mark to hear the difference between Aguila and the CCI quiet ammo:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/gVMrNwabkco?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Wecsogery
January 29, 2015, 12:44
Crossman 22 caliber pointed Premium grade lead pellets. I looked all over for a grain weight but it was not on the little 175 round screw tin anywhere.

14.3 grains.

JohnnyMac
January 29, 2015, 23:01
I find that it is not just the volume of sound that makes for comparative "loudness" but also the "tone" of the report. CCI .22 CB Long, out of an 18" barrel makes a sound akin to thumping my finger on a ripe watermelon "thunk", whereas my spring-air .177 pellet rifle's report sounds like a old Victor rat-trap getting tripped.

JMc

BTW, CCI CB's are good, RWS CB's are the best, and Remington CeeBee's are pure crap.