PDA

View Full Version : Match Day...

rowjimmy
January 10, 2015, 20:10
I'll be shooting my first IDPA match in CDP this Friday, running my Kimber 1911. I hope the dry fire will pay off. I'll let you all know how it goes. This will be my first competitive match shooting the 1911.

rowjimmy
January 16, 2015, 18:04
I shot a 149.83 today overt a 120 round match. I'd put the master time around 130 or 135.all see how it pans out. I only had 2 slow reloads as well as some other errors.

rowjimmy
January 17, 2015, 22:48
OK, I took first place CDP Expert (it wasn't a deep field) and beat a bunch of other guys in other divisions too. My highlight was (and if I had not screwed up i would have beat him) shooting within 5 seconds of a Master shooter from NJ who is an LEO and AMAZING shooter. Granted he had a bad match and I only would have beat him if i shot my best, but it was quite a thrill to be so close to someone that good. i must practice some more. i'm starting to like this 1911 thing...

Olaf
January 18, 2015, 12:49
Nice, it's always fun to kick the Tupperware shooters buts with "an out dated pistol that don't hold enough rounds" aint it?, its even better when they look down their nose at you and scoff when they see what you shoot before the match.

What's not to like about the 1911, best trigger on a pistol ever, good sights, excellent ergonomics, reliable (I don't know what makes people bash the 1911 saying its unreliable, if you get a decent brand and good quality mags should be A-OK, mine don't give me any grief at all.)

How's that Kimber treating you?, I have a plane jane coustom II for 3-gun, and it runs like a top, didn't even need to "break it in"

rowjimmy
January 18, 2015, 19:53
It's running well for me now. i had some problems early on due to that I think were issues related to the lack of a good crimp.

I did not beat all the tupperware shooters down by any means. I beat all but 10 of them, as I came in 12th out of 93 or so and only one other CDP guy beat me, but I'm not sure if he was shooting a 1911 or plastic .45.

Top time was 105, but that dude is an industry shooter for team Smith and Wesson. I'll get there eventually. This match had a few 10 and 11 round stages, so that gave an advantage to the SSP and ESP guys who didn't have to reload if they didn't miss. Two or three less reloads is at least 6 seconds. Also, the recoil recovery shooting the .45 is slower than a Glock shooting 9mm, so your splits get a little slower. My splits are probably .15 s slower with the 1911, so over a 120 round match that can add up to almost 9 seconds. So take 15 seconds off my time for the extra reloads and slower splits and take my 5 second mental error away and I should have easily shot this match in 130 S or so, still not a match winning time but it puts me second or third instead of 12th.

But, yeah, that hunk of metal is growing on me.

I would disagree about the ergonomics though. I need to reorient the pistol in my hand to hit the mag release and need to sling shot the slide to chamber around from slide-lock. I can do everything on the Glock without changing my grip at all. But, it does point nice and feels god in my hands.

Honestly, I like them both. I'm just wondering how hard it will be to switch between them when I'm shooting the Glock in USPSA and the 1911 in IDPA.

kotengu
January 19, 2015, 07:27
Good to hear, sir - well done! Are you going for 5 Gun Master or something?

randyj
January 19, 2015, 10:46
follow instructions during the walk through. IDPA is full of precedurables. some new rules didn't last a whole match.

myself I shoot USPSA instead of all BS rules and traps in IDPA.
WTF is a failure to do right, to me IDPA is a Horse S--- game and that its just a game you fight like you train that a one day will come when in a real fight you employ tactics that you've learned and all goes south.
belive me when the shit hits the fans when your training. I don't beleve that any or all the practice in the world might save you but then again it may not
its still trigger time, practice reloading, drawing from our holster

L Haney
January 19, 2015, 11:12
Well done rj. Bring the noise! :bow:

rowjimmy
January 19, 2015, 11:23
Good to hear, sir - well done! Are you going for 5 Gun Master or something?

Thanks. I'd like to be a 3 gun Master. I'm not into revolvers. if I shot this match in ESP and had a similar performance, I likely would have won ESP Expert and gotten the match bump to Master.

rowjimmy
January 19, 2015, 11:24
Well done rj. Bring the noise! :bow:

Thanks El..