PDA

View Full Version : .30-40 Krag question

TheChief94
January 10, 2015, 11:17
Had a client bring in a .30-40 Krag. Excellent condition. One question - on the left side of the stock beneath the sight area there is an approximately 1 1/2" x 1/4" inlay of what appears to be old ivory or some such, held in by two old wood screws. With the owner present, I removed the inlay; nothing beneath it but wood. I have no earthly idea what this inlay is for, other than decoration. Very odd - anyone with more knowledge of Krags have any idea as to what this inlay may be, aside from "decoration?" Thanks in advance! :bow:

jrapose
January 10, 2015, 11:44
Chief... I was amused by all yer scraped ships.... heck they were all the new ones when I was first in.... joined in 63' was on the USS Alvin C Cockrill DE366..fell overboard in the Oakland estuary.

ENCS retired

MAINER
January 10, 2015, 21:32
I'm guessing a name plate or to cover a damaged area. Not sure what model you have, I remember the rifles had a grooved fore end. Can't figure why anyone would put an Ivory plate there.
Some military rifles were fitted with a scope mount that extended forward on the barrel, but not as far as the Rear sights.

Old ships are like loosing an old friend. :sad:
USS Oklahoma City CLG 5 (Sunk as target by Sub )

Signed up in '63 also, one jump ahead of the draft board. Jan~Mar at USNTC Great Lakes. Kinda drafty on the shore of Lake Michigan that time of year. :tongue: