PDA

View Full Version : Need fair market value of FN PBR

perdurabo
January 08, 2015, 16:42
I know how to check Gunbroker/Armslist, etc for past sales to try and determine market price but I want an opinion from actual potential buyers:

What would you value an FN Patrol Bolt Rifle in .308 (factory black Hogue overmold stock with full bedding block) with two magazines, Warne QD rings, and an SWFA Super Sniper 10x42 scope? Used, but in VG-EXC condition? Yes I have pics but this is a hypothetical sale, so beside the point, plus this isn't a sales group.

I'm looking for honest fair market price opinions, not shot in the dark lowball jackwagonnery.

SAFN49
January 08, 2015, 17:47
I have pics

I'm looking for honest fair market price opinions, not shot in the dark lowball jackwagonnery.

I'm going for the shot in the dark because you didn't post pics.

~ $1250 but probably closer to $1100 in todays market.

perdurabo
January 08, 2015, 18:02
I'm not sure that a picture makes any difference unless you don't trust my description, but anyway, FWIW:

https://texasguntrader.com/db/tgt_pics2671778.jpg

I've been told that I could never get even $1000 for it, which is what I have in it. I'd like to make a little money on the deal but it'll rot in my safe until kingdom come before I'll lose a penny on it, Im just that kind of stubborn.

SAFN49
January 08, 2015, 18:09
The rifle new is $1000, scope $300, and rings $50. So since it is excellent condition I don't see why you couldn't get close to what you paid for it.
Do you have the original box and paperwork?

perdurabo
January 08, 2015, 18:12
I bought it used. Does anyone keep that crap? I certainly don't ascribe any value to it.

mp
January 16, 2015, 15:10
The bottom dropped out on these when CDNN was selling the barreled receiver (complete minus stock) for around $350. And then they sold the crappy Hougue stocks for $79.99. So you could "build one for less than $500, which is what I did. Wish I had never wasted the money on the OEM stock--it was flimsy Tupperware. I upgraded stock and its a tack driver now.

You will never get $1000 for it.

perdurabo
January 16, 2015, 15:17
The Hogue stock is NOT the standard model 70 overmold stock, its got a full length aluminum bedding system. Does that make a difference?

I'm pretty pissed off that I overpaid, in any case. It will sit in my safe until I'm six feet under and it becomes someone else's problem before I'll lose a single penny on it, though.

MAINER
January 17, 2015, 11:04
I have the same rifle. WEG made me buy it when they were sold cheap by CDNN. :biggrin:
The Hogue stock came either Pillor bed type for $80 or so, or full length bed at double the price, around $200 if I remember correctly.

While the value of these rifles is currently depressed due to the sell-off, they will eventually rise to reflect what they would have been under normal circumstances. Their value will be a matter of condition and amount of use, same as for any rifle. How long is a guess, but I'd say another 3~5 years.

This is all irrelevant to me as I have no thoughts of selling what I consider a Mauser style, Pre-64 Winchester Model 70 Bolt rifle in .308 Win. that shoots bullets into small clusters beyond what I am capable of. ;)

perdurabo
January 17, 2015, 11:20
Well that's part of why I want to get rid of the rifle, it's NOT a pre-64 action. Its got a model 70 push feed action, which might as well be a Rem 700 in my book. What I really want is an FN SPR, and at the time I bought this thing I thought it would be "close enough", well it wasn't and I got burned. I'm still too much of a proud stubborn ass to take a loss on it, though.

SAFN49
January 17, 2015, 12:51
Put it on Gun Broker and see what happens.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=463455356

Yours has a scope rings and an extra mag. Throw on a cheap bipod and sling and some fish may bite.

MAINER
January 17, 2015, 17:38
Well that's part of why I want to get rid of the rifle, it's NOT a pre-64 action. Its got a model 70 push feed action, which might as well be a Rem 700 in my book. What I really want is an FN SPR, and at the time I bought this thing I thought it would be "close enough", well it wasn't and I got burned. I'm still too much of a proud stubborn ass to take a loss on it, though.

Ah, I see, didn't pick up on the lack of the Mauser extractor in the pic. I have had several Mausers and an original pre 64 Win. that explains my obsession with the type, along with a lone Rem 700 that is OK but doesn't do much for me so I can understand your preference.

It's still a nice rifle, and there are plenty of shooters that like a push feed. Being able to chamber a single cartridge without the fuss of first having to insert it into the magazine is a good thing when target shooting. I know it can be done with the Mauser type extractor, but it's hard on them.

I'm not stubborn either, I'm Scotch! :biggrin:

renegade99
February 06, 2015, 23:43
I have never seen a FN PBR that did not have a Mauser/pre 64 Win type extractor. I could be wrong but would be interested in a picture. I have 7 PBRs in aftermarket stocks, 2 that have been rebored to .338/08 and .358 improved and they all shoot very well.

acpat
February 07, 2015, 07:37
never understood the pre 64 winchester controlled round feed thing. I guess it comes into play when you are hanging from your leg upside down trying to get that quartering away shot on a running rhino. If you want quality get a pre 1953 winchester 70 or better yet a pre WWII model. Winchester quality went down in 1953. The rifle you have will go back up in value 1000.00 + but you will probably need to wait awhile. Until then keep practicing the standing on your head charging rhino drills with controlled round feed.

MJ1
February 07, 2015, 10:18
I'll give you $225 for the scope. If it's rear focus.