PDA

View Full Version : .50 Boys rifle, need info please

P.I. Staker
January 07, 2015, 01:37
Has anyone here owned a Boys? Anything important to look for? Problems with conversions?

Looking at one done years ago by Tiffany Arms. Anyone heard of them or quality of their work?

Story
January 07, 2015, 23:10
Was it an M2 heavy barrel reduced to Boys rifle barrel o.d., or just one of the skinny little M3 barrels threaded in?

Can you get a range demonstration/firing test before purchase?

nevermind - the .50 BHMG is longer than the .55 Boys (http://www.somatech-ab.com/images/boys_anti_tank_rifle_reload.jpg), so the .55 mags have to be tweaked to allow loading and feeding of .50 rounds. Can't see much of the mag I think you're looking at.

P.I. Staker
January 09, 2015, 04:13
Was it an M2 heavy barrel reduced to Boys rifle barrel o.d., or just one of the skinny little M3 barrels threaded in?

Can you get a range demonstration/firing test before purchase?

nevermind - the .50 BHMG is longer than the .55 Boys (http://www.somatech-ab.com/images/boys_anti_tank_rifle_reload.jpg), so the .55 mags have to be tweaked to allow loading and feeding of .50 rounds. Can't see much of the mag I think you're looking at.

I am looking at one on Gunbroker, and one on another forum. Trying to get good pics of the breaching up area and the barrel length and diameter. Looks like the M3 barrel was only 32 inches long, so if the barrels are longer on the conversions it will point towards a M2 rather than a M3 barrel.

LAFAL
January 09, 2015, 12:32
P.I., the one on GB is still .55 calibre so ammo might be fun to find. The other one listed has 200 rds of original ammo with it. The idiots at "Cajun Pawn" had one on their show- made a big deal that "it might be illegal", etc, etc. (anything for bad ratings) but it was a converted M2 barrel so legal. The "owner" decided to sell it to the shop. Everyone here knows that all the stuff on the show was Deramus' own stuff he had folks take out the door, roll the cameras and walk back in with. I'd have given my Corgi's naughty bits to have a Boys when I was doing WWII Brit re-enacting. I tried to see if they'd trade it for my Johnson (1941 semi-auto) on the show but they wouldn't bite.:rofl: "send the ladies out of the room- I'm about to whip out my Johnson and lay it on your counter." "wanna trade your boy(s) for my johnson". etc. etc.

Story
January 14, 2015, 14:39
P.I., the one on GB is still .55 calibre so ammo might be fun to find.

I think the one Staker and I are looking at is different than whatever you're seeing, since this Boys is definitely converted to .50 BHMG.

P.I. Staker
January 15, 2015, 03:06
I found another Boys rather than the one on Gunbroker. The on on GB is really nice and the owner is as well, but my budget right now indicates buying the cheaper one. Just no accessories or US Property markings.

Story
January 15, 2015, 15:16
I found another Boys rather than the one on Gunbroker. The on on GB is really nice and the owner is as well, but my budget right now indicates buying the cheaper one. Just no accessories or US Property markings.

check your PMs

denny
January 26, 2015, 21:26
5.5 Ammo last I heard was about $40.00 plus a round.
Denny

one hand clapping
January 27, 2015, 19:30
Dang, and I thought my 50BMG was pricey to shoot. Guess its all about how deep yer pockets are ,a discerning eye and good taste.

ALL FAL
January 27, 2015, 20:03
There is to this day tons of .30 .45 and .50 buried in permafrost in the Aleutian chain of Islands, probably watched by satellites now, but would be worth a trip to get some.