PDA

View Full Version : Ruger SR22

geno929
January 04, 2015, 06:47
I've been looking for a new .22 semi auto for a while now. Yesterday I pulled the trigger on a new Ruger SR22. I've got 2 revolvers in .22 (Ruger Single-Six and a High Standard) and a .22 Mag revolver (Taurus 941), but this is my first semi auto in a number of years. My last semi auto .22 was a Browning Buckmark. It was a real pain to clean and very ammo picky, so it went away.
Anyway, I've been waiting for some prices to drop and .22 ammo to reappear in greater quantities. I did get a decent deal on the SR22, but the shop would only sell me 100 rds of .22! What a bummer. Good thing I have been stashing some away over the past few years and wont run out.
Anyway, I can't wait to shoot this little beauty. Anyone out there have any impressions about the SR22 and maybe some advice on a holster for it? I prefer a leather holster but poly will do. No plastic paddle holster for me! :)

hardass
January 04, 2015, 15:28
I bought one last year and am very satisfied with it. It will function with every type of ammo I have tried thru it. The only cheap brand I haven't tried is Thunderbolts. I had read a lot of posts about other semi .22s like the Walther and SIG that they were pretty picky and only like a certain brand.

No holster yet, still looking.

Gazz
January 05, 2015, 07:47
I bought one last year and while I like it, it is picky about what ammo it likes. It seems that only MiniMags will cycle it reliably. With every other variety of .22 ammo I have tried, it will not. I had it at the range yesterday with a box of Federal HP which would not cycle it reliably. Chamber a round, shoot and then click. The empty gets ejected but the slide is not coming back far enough to pick up the next round so the chamber is empty. It will do this maybe 4 or 5 times per magazine. I am wondering if it is a magazine spring tension issue as it seems to be more prevalent when the magazine is on the full side. It would not be such a problem except for the difficulty in getting MiniMags right now. My friend has one and his will shoot everything okay.
It is not a target pistol and groups were running 2-4" at 25 yards from a rest. It is small enough and light enough that it frequently goes in a back pocket when I walk the property.

Stranger
January 05, 2015, 11:48
I bought one last year and while I like it, it is picky about what ammo it likes. It seems that only MiniMags will cycle it reliably. With every other variety of .22 ammo I have tried, it will not. I had it at the range yesterday with a box of Federal HP which would not cycle it reliably. Chamber a round, shoot and then click. The empty gets ejected but the slide is not coming back far enough to pick up the next round so the chamber is empty. It will do this maybe 4 or 5 times per magazine. I am wondering if it is a magazine spring tension issue as it seems to be more prevalent when the magazine is on the full side. It would not be such a problem except for the difficulty in getting MiniMags right now. My friend has one and his will shoot everything okay.
It is not a target pistol and groups were running 2-4" at 25 yards from a rest. It is small enough and light enough that it frequently goes in a back pocket when I walk the property.

Interesting news. Mine isn't finicky at all. Runs on everything from Fed/Remy/Win bulk pack to whatever I find on the ground at the range. However, I did swap out the factory spring and guide rod with a stainless set from Galloway before I ever fired it. It was only $22. (I was on a kick to swap out all my polymer GRs with steel.)

Great little pistols. It is in the same vein as the Walther P22, but with better longevity. I put 3K rounds through a Walther P22 and apparently wore it out. Sent it back to Walther twice and it still doesn't function as a semi-auto. The SR22 is still going strong after twice that many rounds.

Stranger
January 05, 2015, 11:55
... maybe some advice on a holster for it? I prefer a leather holster but poly will do. No plastic paddle holster for me! :)

Mine has lived in the pouch that came with it. I throw it in the range bag when I go.

I had never thought about carrying a 22LR in a holster. Whenever I need to carry its always something I am confident will stop an aggressor. However, it might be something fun for the boys to kick around with at the range.

Not trying to start a debate, just saying.

Guy-epic
January 05, 2015, 12:01
May look at a Krammer?

Whydah
January 05, 2015, 15:31
I bought one last year and have been happy with it overall. Mostly I've fired Federal and Remington ammo without major problems. However, it has developed this one annoying quirk. On every second shot the round isn't chambered. Pull the trigger and it goes 'click'. Check and sure enough the chamber is empty. But, it only happens on the second round! Just for grins once I loaded less than ten and it still didn't chamber the second round. Beats me.

geno929
January 05, 2015, 16:48
Thanks all for the reply's. The reason for a holster is when I take the 10/22 or the Henry .22 out to the field, I would like a small pistol as back up in the same caliber. Weird I know. It's the same with my Marlin 25MN in .22 WMR. I have the Taurus 941 in .22 WMR as backup on my belt.

Whydah
January 05, 2015, 18:41
Thanks all for the reply's. The reason for a holster is when I take the 10/22 or the Henry .22 out to the field, I would like a small pistol as back up in the same caliber. Weird I know. It's the same with my Marlin 25MN in .22 WMR. I have the Taurus 941 in .22 WMR as backup on my belt.

I bought a FOBUS holster for mine and carried it when outside. Then a neighbor spotted a mountain lion, so I upped it to a 9mm. Then a black bear took a deer fawn next to the house one afternoon, so I upped it again to a .357mag.

geno929
January 05, 2015, 20:37
I just saw the web page for Sticky Holsters. Look pretty nice and priced right. ;)
Any one have any experience with them?

Jaxxas
January 05, 2015, 20:48
I've been looking for a new .22 semi auto for a while now. Yesterday I pulled the trigger on a new Ruger SR22. I've got 2 revolvers in .22 (Ruger Single-Six and a High Standard) and a .22 Mag revolver (Taurus 941), but this is my first semi auto in a number of years. My last semi auto .22 was a Browning Buckmark. It was a real pain to clean and very ammo picky, so it went away.
Anyway, I've been waiting for some prices to drop and .22 ammo to reappear in greater quantities. I did get a decent deal on the SR22, but the shop would only sell me 100 rds of .22! What a bummer. Good thing I have been stashing some away over the past few years and wont run out.
Anyway, I can't wait to shoot this little beauty. Anyone out there have any impressions about the SR22 and maybe some advice on a holster for it? I prefer a leather holster but poly will do. No plastic paddle holster for me! :)

I'm on the fence with the SR22. I love Ruger , but there are so many reviews that go either way. Certainly less than totally satisfied with my Walther P22.

Guess I'm still on the fence!

ftierson
January 05, 2015, 23:22
I have an early Walther P22 and a relatively early Ruger SR22.

The Walther has worked pretty well for me, but I still have less than 500 rds through it and I've had it a long time. It seems to work pretty well with whatever 40gr high-velocity ammo I put through it. My concern about the P22 revolves around it's zinc slide, which is commonly known to break. S&W's original advertising for the P22 'mistakenly' listed the slide as steel (or they just lied about it), which is why I originally purchased the gun. Again, while it has worked OK for me (even with the original mags), I would not have bought it knowing what I know now.

I purchased the Ruger SR22 about two years ago and have only put about 500 rds through it to date too. I've tried about five different 40gr high-velocity loads and I've had no bobbles to date. The SR22 slide is aluminum, which I have no problem with for this application.

The SR22 can be dry-fired (and Ruger 'recommends' it). I would not be comfortable dry-firing the P22.

There are two things about the SR22 that I am a little less than happy with: one has to do with the somewhat heavy trigger and following hammer fall. But even with this, it can be shot well. The second has to do with how the safety works, which is the opposite of most other handguns (up to take off safety and be ready to fire). But, since it's not a defensive gun, I can live with that even if I couldn't in a defensive pistol.

I am thinking of picking up a second SR22. That should tell you what I really think of it... :)

Forrest

Stranger
January 06, 2015, 11:13
.The second has to do with how the safety works, which is the opposite of most other handguns (up to take off safety and be ready to fire).

I agree. The safety took some getting used to.

BIG 54R
January 07, 2015, 19:50
My BIL has one that I've used in several 22 competitions and the sr22 has a been rock solid pistol with all ammo tried. I love the thing and will be getting one plus I think it's the best value in 22lr pistols today.

geno929
January 09, 2015, 16:16
:D Won an E Bay bid for a black leather OWB, R hand holster by Labor of Love Leathercraft for $38.00 / free shipping. It looks well made and it's produced in Iowa by a small company. I'll post how well it fits when I receive it.

geno929
January 13, 2015, 15:48
Found a brick of Aquila 40 grain .22 cal. yesterday. Went to the range. Amazing little gun. I shot about 100 rds of the Aquila, some CCI 36 grain, some Winchester 36 grain High Velocity. All were good for accuracy, Generally about 2 - 3 inch group at 7 yrds free hand. The Aquila shot a touch high, but all in all, shot well. Clean up was real easy. Maybe time to get another brick of Aquila. I did keep all of the different rounds in the pie plate at 15 yrds. So, good deal on the gun and the ammo! :smile: