PDA

View Full Version : New sights?

spider991
January 03, 2015, 20:24
Gents,

Im not really a 1911 guy, so i have a question for you guys with the knows hows..i have a Rock Island GI model 1911-a1 and it has the regular GI sights. Is it possible to replace these with a set of night sights or some sort of low pro bo- mar?? I usually wouldnt bother, but as much as i hate to admitt..I FRIGGEN LOVE this gun! Put some nice slim wood checkered grips and this thing feels bout better and more natural than any gun i own.( im gonna be kicked out of the glock club for that one)I have owned colts and a springfield loaded model and for some reason, i like this one. Absolute reliability with any ammo and accurate as it can be...so what says the rogues gallery on the possibility of new sights..im sure the rear can as it is dovetail cut, but the front worries me..
:biggrin:

nearmisses
January 03, 2015, 21:43
I wouldn't fret spyder991, there are plenty of stake in front sight choices out there but have a gunsmith put the .075" I believe dovetail in and the choices open up. I am doing it to my old Series 70 Colt sometime soon. Rear will take the XS night sights I have for it already. The only question will be since putting on the Crimson Trace will they ever get used! Ha!

spider991
January 03, 2015, 23:16
Excellant thanks!

MAINER
January 04, 2015, 10:24
After you decide on the sights you want, Mepro, Knovak, etc, go to the manufacturer's website to see if they offer services such as cutting dovetails and installing their sights in your pistol.
Some of them do this for a nominal fee and have plenty of experience doing it.

truck 1
January 10, 2015, 21:39
Just got my 1977 Colt Combat Commander back from Novack . It had GI sights that were fine when I was 22, but now at 59 the Novak's are sweet! I had the front and rear dovetailed for a rear low mount wide notch plain black, and front tritium encased by a nice white dot. What a difference. You're eyes will thank you. Nite sight in front only really helps in finding the target. I sent in the slide only, and it is damn near perfect sight alignment . It cost about 220$ shipped. I highly recommend it. :D

nearmisses
January 11, 2015, 17:02
I know XS sights will cut your slide for you but probably cheaper to go local gunsmith or a gun savvy machinist. With shipping and such looking at almost 100.00 per dovetail w/shipping and insurance, you do want insurance. I cheaped out & found a set of dovetail cutters on Gunbroker a while back so I can do most of them I would ever come in contact with going to the guys that machine my rails. I like the XS brand due to old eyes and my Crimson Trace are perfect in certain lighting and don't add much bulk or weight, you all know how I feel about weight. Go on Brownell's website punch in Govt 1911 and find what suits you. A word of advice, if you can afford it don't use the staked on front sight variety, have them cut the dovetail and I think you will have a more harmonious outcome.

spider991
January 11, 2015, 17:49
I'm looking into getting the front cut so I won't use a staked in front sight..the rear is already cut so 5th at opens up options

W.E.G.
January 11, 2015, 17:55
I say get two of them.

The second serves as a counterbalance, so you won't list to one side while you carry it.

I could never find a rear sight large enough to work as a shield against the BTF issue.

spider991
January 12, 2015, 17:42
I say get two of them.

The second serves as a counterbalance, so you won't list to one side while you carry it.

I could never find a rear sight large enough to work as a shield against the BTF issue.

I like the way you think

W.E.G.
January 12, 2015, 17:43
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/holsters/doubleholster.jpg