PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have Crimson Trace/lasers on their 1911s, or other handguns for self defense?

nearmisses
January 03, 2015, 17:56
I'm wondering if anyone else uses a Laser on their 1911? I just got a set of Crimson Trace grips and have found them quite handy. Learning curve should make one faster and be able to make shots normally you wouldn't take in a bad situation. Watched a bunch of their videos and liked what I saw. Need a set for my Amigo now that I have the bug.
Any other shooters feel this way or have extensive use with one? I'm feeling alone on this new frontier, it would be nice to hear a few FALer's like them or use them too.

paulb2112
January 03, 2015, 19:46
Have a pair on a bhp. In short time (couple of days) have a problem keeping battery caps in place. Never know when they come loose until laser is activated and no laser.
For that kind of cash I didnt buy any more.

nearmisses
January 03, 2015, 21:50
Have a pair on a bhp. In short time (couple of days) have a problem keeping battery caps in place. Never know when they come loose until laser is activated and no laser.
For that kind of cash I didnt buy any more.

Battery caps? The batteries on the Crimson Trace grips are inside the grips, did you put the black backing spacers in? No getting loose or out without removing grips. Maybe a different model then the grip design? Trigger guard type?

BiGB808
January 04, 2015, 19:57
Only lazer i have is on some ct grips for an sw airweight 642.

Im pretty mehh about them....they work but at the range ans speed I would need to shoot i highly doubt i will notice a red dot anywhere, especially durng daylight hours. And from 10 feet away or less

My ccw guy who has to qualify me once every two years always asknif o melted anybody with my lazers yet.

Only time i can see them useful is froma distance ..with time on your side, but why are you either still waiting in that spot or have not shor already?

2 is one... so if the grips dont bother you then there is no negative to having lazers..pew oew pew

Artful
January 05, 2015, 00:31
I have found laser's to be useful.

1911, Ruger Mk2, Beretta Inox 9mm,
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v355/rowdyfisk/FAL/dsc05918aa3.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/rowdyfisk/media/FAL/dsc05918aa3.jpg.html)

Red laser's OK - defensive indoor/night shooting... training trigger control

IR laser w/ NVG on a rifle for night hunt - AWESOME

I have yet to do a green laser on anything but am thinking about it.

Rudolf
January 05, 2015, 01:35
I have them on everything as I am very biased with Crimson Trace.

Saved my life the last time I pulled my CCW.

Every pistol wears it now.

nearmisses
January 05, 2015, 12:08

Now that's what I was looking to hear! I watched the videos and was amazed that the guys that are pros use them with great advantage in poor lighting situations and that's most encounters. They seem to make for a slightly different approach to their usage too. I guess it's a learning curve like anything else. I'm sure we'd all like to hear more from someone who's been in a tight spot and survived the encounter. Thanks for sharing what you did. I was skeptical but I do see how they could be very beneficial too. I have been trying to get my daughters to be interested too. This could help. Thanks!

Tuhlmann
January 05, 2015, 19:08
I have them on my M&P 340. I resisted the facts for a long time, but the truth is no matter what your opinion of them is they can't hurt, and they may make all the difference in a situation where you are forced to present in a non-traditional manner. Just another tool in the toolbox. Plus, they're cool.

Aeroscout
January 05, 2015, 20:04

I am a Crimson trace believer, My 642 Airweight wears them....but am curious about your post....

Did it save your life......In that the dot ensured a hit on your intended target?

Or saved your life......In that the intended target saw the dot and you didn't have to shoot him as a result?

The bad guy seeing the dot can be just as important as you seeing the dot.

nearmisses
January 10, 2015, 13:42
Glad to see a small bit of discussion on the subject. Would love to hear more about RUDOLF's encounter with his weapon as others have asked. I went ahead and bought a second set for my 1911 Compact. They were supposed to be here today but once again bad weather is hampering deliveries from back east I guess. I am going to do a review of them soon as I get some decent weather to play in. I do so hate winter. I let some ladies shoot mine on New Year's day at my daughter's house, they loved it. The one gal was 15 and had never shot a pistol, she enjoyed it. It does make for easier hits more quickly with no emphasis on sights. That alone should make it valuable in a low light bad situation. Not saying sights aren't important, they are fundamental and must be taught but these lasers clearly have a place in the firearms market and I think Crimson Trace is doing a good job of it on certain weapons they fit on quite well. Anyone else?

hueyville
January 10, 2015, 21:29
I only have lasers on subguns, tactical shotguns and pistols where supressor blocks sights.

nearmisses
January 12, 2015, 19:15
Got the grips today! Yeah!!! Here's a couple compilation shots I did. One with Crimson Trace on and one the XS Night Sights. If you could line up the sights and the dot you would see they are spot on but one blots out the other so this way shows it better.